How long between stops?

Old September 3rd 03, 05:46 PM
johnfoss

Default How long between stops?

My road riding is almost all on the way to work, so 8.1 miles.

BTW, if anyone wants to print this part and keep it for a reference;
there seems to be a general confusion on how to spell these two words:

Brake/Brakes -- Things that stop you

Break/Breaks -- Taking a rest

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old September 3rd 03, 06:28 PM
sockmonster

Maybe it's because I'm a lightweight, or just the area I live in, but on
my version of long distance rides (the 5 mile loop around the lake), I
can only go 30 minutes before I need a break. But, that's on a stock
Torker seat. By the end of the ride, I'm standing up to save my crotch
any more torture.

--
sockmonster - The original Western Maine uni

It is impossible to be scared of someone if they are skipping, or on a
pogo stick.
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Old September 3rd 03, 06:38 PM
Mikefule

sockmonster wrote:
*Maybe it's because I'm a lightweight, or just the area I live in, but
on my version of long distance rides (the 5 mile loop around the
lake), I can only go 30 minutes before I need a break. But, that's on
a stock Torker seat. By the end of the ride, I'm standing up to save
my crotch any more torture. *

Don't knock it. 5 miles is a fair distance; 30 minutes is a fair amount
of saddle time without a UPD. I'd guess that puts you in the top 10% of
unicycle owners worldwide.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The long distance Fule on his farcycle

Old September 3rd 03, 11:13 PM
Mandell

My personal best is only about 15 minutes at a time.

I have only been riding for a few months now and I have what I think I
have seen described here as a "foam brick" of a seat.

If I decide to do the gradual replacement approach to unicycle upgrades,
a good seat is number 2 or 3 on the list (after frame/bearings and a new
tire).

--
Mandell - Keen Beginner
Mandell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3769

Old September 3rd 03, 11:30 PM
Mikefule

Hmmmmm. So you'll upgrade the frame, bearings, tyre, seat... This is
my grandfather's axe: my father changed the handle, and I replaced the
head.

For a basic unicycle, the best cheap and quick upgrades which will make
a real difference to performance are a slightly bigger tyre and grippy
platform pedals. Good grippy pedals are worth an extra 10 - 15 mm on
your cranks when you're off road, and worth their weight in gold if your
shoes are wet.

Of course, all upgrades can be transferred to a new uni later, but it's
an expensive way of doing it.

My Coker is standard except for a different pair of cranks (same length
anyway) and pinned pedals. Occasionally, I swap the seat for one with a
MUni handle.

My 28 is standard except for shorter cranks and better pedals, and
presently has the Miyata seat and post.

My 24 has a slightly fatter tyre (only 1.95, but quite knobbly),
different cranks and better pedals.

It's only the MUni which has been seriously upgraded, with stronger
cranks, much fatter tyre, better pedals, and handle.

The common feature throughout the fleet: the pedals.

Old September 3rd 03, 11:49 PM
gerblefranklin

On a good day I can go mabey 6-10 miles up and down hills without a
break. This takes me about an hour to an hour and a half. My biggest
limiting factor is how much water I can carry. The reason is that I have
an ultra soft Miyata airseat, and hills all over the city so I'm very
rarely sitting with my weight fully in the seat. I did the bay to
breakers in about an hour last year too. That was about 7 miles without
any UPDs.

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

Old September 4th 03, 12:47 AM
nathan

Back in 1999 on our first big Coker ride, 44 miles, Bruce and I rode for
11 or 12 miles without stopping - maybe 75 minutes. Lately, I prefer to
ride no more than 10 miles without a break. This way, 60 miles or more
is no problem. In Norway, we would usually stop every 10km (6 miles). I
think we picked that distance because it was easy and easy to measure
with our cyclometers on metric.

Last week, Scot Cooper rode the first 37 miles of 100 without a break.
But he's Scot Cooper...

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old September 4th 03, 12:59 AM
paco

Hey Nathan, how come you use both this name and Nathan Hoover? I
noticed that the other one is you as a guest, which I'm guessing means
you're posting from the newsgroup. Why not just use one or the other?
Just curious.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old September 4th 03, 04:00 AM
Cubby

My experience will certainly not be representative of the rest of the
above posters but I rode 3 miles day before yesterday and 2.5 miles this
evening. Longest segment was 3/4 mile with typical segment close to
1/2. At about 6 miles per hour that's not really much time between UPDs
but I've only been at this for 2 months now. I plan on venturing out
for a longer ride this next weekend when I have more time.

I post this because all the dismounts were due to fidgetting or sqirming
in the seat (viscount) trying to find a spot that wasn't rubbing me the
wrong way. I've found I can lift up and reposition myself to some
degree. It helps but within a few minutes I'm lifting up again trying
to find comfort. I wear cycling shorts and have found that wearing an
additional pair of regular shorts over them sometimes helps. Sometimes
not. Depends on the style of short.

I know I haven't been at this for very long but I'm sure that seat
comfort, or lack of, is sapping some of the joy. Are there any
modifications I can try on the viscount seat? Any comments on gel or
sheepskin covers, or something of that nature?

Particulars : Male, 6' 1", 195 lbs, 24 Torker, Viscount seat.

Have a great day,
-Cubby

--
Cubby
Cubby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4275

Old September 4th 03, 05:08 AM
duaner

Cubby wrote:
*Are there any modifications I can try on the viscount seat? Any
comments on gel or sheepskin covers, or something of that nature?
*

John_childs message in thread
http://tinyurl.com/m6eu
has a whole collection of airseat / gelseat instructions.

Thanks, John.

I actually did a GEL seat conversion of a viscount, figuring I'd not
have to worry about the innertube going flat. I will NOT do a GEL seat
conversion again, with the gel in place it is way to hard to get the
cover nicely glued back in place. Next time I will do an AIR seat
conversion, because putting the cover back on with the innertube
deflated should be quite easy.

Also, search the net for
viscount and airseat and conversion
or
viscount and air and seat and conversion

One of the sites I found this way showed covering the seat with a sock.
This turned out to be very easy to do. It's a nice simple mod if you
find the somewhat tacky surface of the viscount annoying -- in long
pants it probably doesn't matter, but in shorts the tacky surface can
rub painfully on the skin.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297