Giraffe performing

Old August 25th 03, 12:44 PM
GILD

Default Giraffe performing

i've landed a nice uni-gig at a rugby match this saturday.
i'll be one of 14 entertainers (4 stiltwalkers, jugglers, face painters
and a poi-swinger or two) entertaining the arriving crowd just outside
the Ellis Park Stadium from 13h00 till 15h00

given the presence of so many stiltwalkers (and it's added visual
appeal), i've been thinking about spending most of the two hours on the
raffie
i've been searching and re-reading a lot of the threads about
uni-performances and noticed that there isn't a lot of mention made of
the giraffe as anything but a parade-machine or a big-finish prop

any suggestions of things to do on the raffie to entertain a passing
crowd for two hours?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he
has
acquired during the first half.
-- Fyodor Dostoevsky

'pleez check this out' (http://www.reuniteluna.com/)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old August 25th 03, 12:59 PM
thinuniking

giraffe unicycles are loads of fun i am using my unicycle clubs one this
weekend they are loads of fun just to watch peoples reactions in cars i
still can not free mount yet which its a big problem but the good old
step lander is good enough for me! i can now idle on it which i am happy
with but i have to give it back tomorrow just had to ask how you
get the pics under your name i looked on the help thing and it did not
help! when you say a raffle if you mean a raffle with the numbers on the
tickets jugling stuff as they would of just seen you performing and
booze always go's down well if you needed help with the prizes i hope
this has been a help

--
thinuniking - started trails unicycling

unicycle it is your right
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old August 25th 03, 01:29 PM
GILD

thinuniking wrote:
* when you say a raffle if you mean a raffle with the numbers on the
tickets *

my apologies
i mean 'RAFFIE' as a contraction of giraffe
it's a 'nickname' of sorts for the giraffe i picked up while working on
a wildlife-based internet radio station
my other favourite nickname for the giraffe is the swahili word
'TWIGGA'
i try not to use that on the forum as i figure most non-swahili speakers
wont have a clue what i'm talking about

Old August 25th 03, 01:30 PM
Memphis Mud

We've done the "while folks are arriving" gig on giraffes. Mostly they
are amazed enough by your just riding.

I found some soap-bubble guns that shot a stream of little glistening
bubbles into the air as I rode. That was easy because its a one-handed
thing and doesn't interfere with balancing. They add a nice
light-hearted visual element.

I had thought of (but never tried) a Yo-Yo with a very long string.

A pouch of glitter confetti (this could be more of a mess than your
employers want you to create)

Gently tossing gum or little candy singles.

Most folks are by you in 30 seconds.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old September 1st 03, 11:02 AM
GILD

Memphis Mud wrote:
*We've done the "while folks are arriving" gig on giraffes. Mostly
they are amazed enough by your just riding.
*

pretty much the way it played out
the yo-yo looked pretty good while practising at the club on thursday
night untill somebody decided to break it
didn't get around to replacing it

something that did work rather well and made me ressurect this thread to
share it is a ribbon (think rhythmic gymnastics)
i bough 5metres of red and 5 m of blue satin ribbon (the colours of the
sponsors) and tied it to the front of a 1m piece of dowel

swinging it around while idling/riding the raffie is visually quite
arresting and pretty easy to do

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

The only difference between me and a madman is that i'm not mad.
Pablo Picasso

'this will only take a minute...'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm/)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old September 1st 03, 02:37 PM
chirokid

Memphis Mud wrote:
*
I found some soap-bubble guns that shot a stream of little glistening
bubbles into the air as I rode.
*

This sounds awesome MM. Any pictures? Where did you get the gun?
--chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old September 1st 03, 02:39 PM
chirokid

GILD wrote:
*
something that did work rather well and made me ressurect this thread
to share it is a ribbon (think rhythmic gymnastics)
i bough 5metres of red and 5 m of blue satin ribbon (the colours of
the sponsors) and tied it to the front of a 1m piece of dowel

swinging it around while idling/riding the raffie is visually quite
arresting and pretty easy to do *

This should really make you look like a GIRL too!!! --chirokid--

Old September 1st 03, 09:50 PM
U-Turn

GILD wrote:
*so unless u harbour some deep, strange cowgirl fantasies...
*

Hmmm that's food for thought,,,,,

but what about wearing a jester-type hat with long, bouncy "arms" that
would bounce around a lot just while riding? You wouldn't have to DO
anything, just ride around and be a piece of dynamic art.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old September 1st 03, 10:34 PM
evilewan

girrafing, yuck.
its not my favourite way to spend an afternoon.
its much more funn to do tricks on a real unicycle.
some promoters realy like the girrafe though. and the public are all
dumb enough to think its harder than a real unicycle.
i`ll ride a girrafe if thats what the event organiser realy wants but
not if i can get away with doing something more intersting.

i was busking at the edinburgh festival not long ago and i was the only
one to do a single unicycle trick. out of dozens of performers,
mind you, i cant realy fault the "space cowboy" who juggles a fire
torch, a juggling knife and a scyccle (cresent shaped farming tool)
whilst blidfolded on top of a girrafe.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Old September 3rd 03, 03:01 PM
dustin

evilewan wrote:
*girrafing, yuck.
its not my favourite way to spend an afternoon.
its much more funn to do tricks on a real unicycle.*

I will admit that riding a chain driven uni is not my fav way to spend
an afternoon riding, at this point in my life I would rather Muni or do
some urban trials. But I must ask, what is a "real unicycle"? Maybe we
should all be riding one ton 40 inch wheeled pennyfarthings with the
rear wheel removed since it is commonly believed that is where the first
uni came from. Wouldn't that be a "real unicycle" as opposed to the
freestyle, muni or trials uni's that have just come into existence in
the last 20 years.
*and the public are all dumb enough to think its harder than a real
unicycle. *

Have you tried any tricks on a six ft or 10ft uni? People often ask me
which unicycle is the hardest one to ride (I use 8 different uni's when
performing), to which I say "Your first one." The question still
persists and my reply is that it depends what you do with it.

--
dustin - on and off the road again

dustin kelm
www.dustinkelm.com isa40:30.31

"You are only limited by your imagination."
dustin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/920