Bar end lights

Old October 15th 03, 12:13 AM
Pat

Default Bar end lights

I found some L.E.D. lights that go in the ends of the handlebars. They're
called Bar Flys and are made by Summit Cycling products. Has anyone here
used them? I also got a pair of Tail Lights that have 2 L.E.D.s in them and
are made by Secura. These both use L44 batteries, more like watch
batteries than AAAs. I expect they won't jiggle out of alignment so easily.

Testing will start soon. Unless someone has something bad to say about the
lights, that is.

Pat in TX

Old October 15th 03, 03:13 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:13:10 +0000, Pat wrote:

I found some L.E.D. lights that go in the ends of the handlebars. They're
called Bar Flys and are made by Summit Cycling products. Has anyone here
used them?

I don't know if they are the same brand as I have, but I have a pair of
such lights. They work reasonably well. They are not all that great in
heavy rain, like we had this summer; I had to replace the batteries sooner
than I expected to, and do some minor repair work, since they had gotten
soaked and -- I think -- drained the batteries as a result.

They're cute.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
_`\(,_ | That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
(_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism
and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any
country. -- Hermann Goering
Old October 15th 03, 09:46 AM
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

In article , "Pat" wrote:
I found some L.E.D. lights that go in the ends of the handlebars. They're
called Bar Flys and are made by Summit Cycling products. Has anyone here
used them? I also got a pair of Tail Lights that have 2 L.E.D.s in them and
are made by Secura. These both use L44 batteries, more like watch
batteries than AAAs. I expect they won't jiggle out of alignment so easily.

Testing will start soon. Unless someone has something bad to say about the
lights, that is.

Any website with info about the lights?

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes, EDB Teamco AS
e-mail: (remove nospam first)
web:
http://spiderman.novit.no/dahls/
Old October 15th 03, 03:22 PM
Claire Petersky

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" wrote in message
In article , "Pat"

wrote:
I found some L.E.D. lights that go in the ends of the handlebars. They're
called Bar Flys and are made by Summit Cycling products. Has anyone here
used them? I also got a pair of Tail Lights that have 2 L.E.D.s in them

and
are made by Secura. These both use L44 batteries, more like watch
batteries than AAAs. I expect they won't jiggle out of alignment so

easily.

Testing will start soon. Unless someone has something bad to say about

the
lights, that is.

Any website with info about the lights?

I bought a set out of the Nashbar catalog
(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...8&brand=&s ku
=7629&storetype=&estoreid=) but one of them fell out one day on the way to
work. If anyone has ridden across the Mercer Slough, they know how bumpy
that section of my commute is.

So I bought another set from REI. These stayed in, but the batteries finally
went dead. The batteries are very expensive -- the cost of these lights is
apparently chiefly in the batteries. When I tried to replace the batteries,
somehow the contacts got messed up. I took them back to REI, they tried to
fix them, and then finally I got a refund on them. They apparently no longer
carry them.

I really liked these lights, when they were in the bar ends and functional.
They were pretty bright, and I got compliments from other cyclists and from
motorists, too, even. But I don't know if they're worth $20 a set if you
have to treat them as disposables.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Old October 16th 03, 01:52 AM
kathybeast

Pat wrote:
I found some L.E.D. lights that go in the ends of the handlebars.
They're called Bar Flys and are made by Summit Cycling products. Has
anyone here used them? I also got a pair of Tail Lights that have 2
L.E.D.s in them and are made by Secura. These both use L44 batteries,
more like watch batteries than AAAs. I expect they won't jiggle out of
alignment so easily.
Testing will start soon. Unless someone has something bad to say about
the lights, that is.
Pat in TX

Pat I have seen the LED lights and thought they were a cool idea,
especially here in Texas, where riding year round is the norm. Would
love to hear back how you liked them.

Where in the in the Lone Star do you reside? Kathybeast

Old October 16th 03, 02:29 AM
Pat

Pat wrote:
I found some L.E.D. lights that go in the ends of the handlebars.
They're called Bar Flys and are made by Summit Cycling products. Has
anyone here used them? I also got a pair of Tail Lights that have 2
L.E.D.s in them and are made by Secura. These both use L44 batteries,
more like watch batteries than AAAs. I expect they won't jiggle out of
alignment so easily.
Testing will start soon. Unless someone has something bad to say about
the lights, that is.
Pat in TX

Pat I have seen the LED lights and thought they were a cool idea,
especially here in Texas, where riding year round is the norm. Would
love to hear back how you liked them.

Where in the in the Lone Star do you reside? Kathybeast

DFW area. It's a little cold here today. It was 50 degrees F this morning at
0800. gusty winds, too. 50 is okay, but the gusty winds can blow a person
over! In fact, the winter before last, I had to quit a ride because when
the wind was crosswise, I had trouble keeping the bike upright. But this
weather is just some sort of cold front that will be gone by the weekend.
Just two days ago, it was more like 84 degrees F....

Pat in TX

Old October 18th 03, 03:51 AM
Rich Clark

"Pat" wrote in message
I found some L.E.D. lights that go in the ends of the handlebars. They're
called Bar Flys and are made by Summit Cycling products. Has anyone here
used them? I also got a pair of Tail Lights that have 2 L.E.D.s in them

and
are made by Secura. These both use L44 batteries, more like watch
batteries than AAAs. I expect they won't jiggle out of alignment so

easily.

Testing will start soon. Unless someone has something bad to say about

the
lights, that is.

I have a set of the Nashbar version ion my commuter. They haven't failed,
but one of them occasionally turns itself off.

My main issue is that I was told by my spotter that approaching and passing
me in a car from behind she couldn't see the one on the side away from her,
because it was blocked by my body and parts of my bike, and thought it could
therefore be misinterpreted as a turn signal.

RichC