Ever blinded by your helmet?

Old November 10th 04, 10:48 PM
B Paton

Default Ever blinded by your helmet?

I was thinking about my own helmet use the other day, particularly in
response to the helmet issue here in Ontario.

It occurred to me that helmet-wearing actually creates hazards for users
under certain circumstances.

For example, many times I have been blinded by sweat on fast descents when
air pressure squeeezes sweat out of the pads and into my eyes. The oily,
salty sweat causes near-total blindness for 3-10 seconds before the tear
ducts can flush them out. Knowing that the helmet will partially protect me
from the hazard it causes is not comforting. It's occured with every helmet
I have ever owned. It occurs frequently while riding around here. It is a
hilly area with lots of 6--12% grades.

I was wondering who else has experienced this feature of bike helmets. Is it
my physical features that are at issue, do I just ride too hard, or what?

Thanks, note the spam trap in the reply address.

Blake

Old November 10th 04, 11:08 PM
do not spam

In article ,
B Paton wrote:
For example, many times I have been blinded by sweat on fast descents when
air pressure squeeezes sweat out of the pads and into my eyes.

Try a headband.
Old November 10th 04, 11:27 PM
Bruce Frech

"do not spam" wrote in message
In article ,
B Paton wrote:
For example, many times I have been blinded by sweat on fast descents when
air pressure squeeezes sweat out of the pads and into my eyes.

Try a headband.

Or try not wearing a helmet.

I've had the same problem and I cannot wear sunglasses when wearing a helmet
on some hot rides. So add my example to your database of riders with
negative aspects of helmet wearing. A headband can only hold so much and
then the problem continues. Not wearing a helmet works much better.

Bruce

Old November 10th 04, 11:43 PM
do not spam

In article vtxkd.1114$8N4.731@trndny09,
Bruce Frech wrote:
I've had the same problem and I cannot wear sunglasses when wearing a helmet
on some hot rides.

Modern wicking headbands can evaporate sweat almost as fast as they
absorb it. Some of these headbands have a tail to enlarge the evaporation
area and encourage any excess sweat to drip off the back. I use a thin
$2 headband and never have trouble with sweat in my eyes.
Old November 10th 04, 11:50 PM
psycholist

Bruce Frech wrote:
I've had the same problem and I cannot wear sunglasses when wearing a
helmet
on some hot rides.

Modern wicking headbands can evaporate sweat almost as fast as they
absorb it. Some of these headbands have a tail to enlarge the evaporation
area and encourage any excess sweat to drip off the back. I use a thin
$2 headband and never have trouble with sweat in my eyes.

Efficiencies of individuals evaporative cooling systems vary greatly. I'm a
very profuse sweater. I'm sure I've tried every product on the market in
the way of headbands. I've even purchased moppping products that advertise
super-absorbancy. I've cut them up into headbands. Nothing keeps me from
saturating the headband and suffering burning sweat in my eyes. And those
ones that use the rubber gasket to channel sweat behind the ears ... total
rip-off as far as I'm concerned. The best thing I've ever found is the old
tried-and-true bandana. But on hot days, I have to remove it and just let
the sweat pour down my face.

As for how the helmet plays into all of this ... I'm not going there.

Bob C.

Old November 11th 04, 12:54 AM
PK

psycholist wrote:
"do not spam" wrote in message

The best thing I've ever found is the old
tried-and-true bandana. But on hot days, I have to remove it and
just let the sweat pour down my face.

Panty pad stuck to the inside of the helmet - great absorbency.

pk

Old November 11th 04, 02:12 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:27:23 GMT, "Bruce Frech"
wrote:

"do not spam" wrote in message
In article ,
B Paton wrote:
For example, many times I have been blinded by sweat on fast descents when
air pressure squeeezes sweat out of the pads and into my eyes.

Try a headband.

Or try not wearing a helmet.

Maybe I'm a +3-sigma sweat-er, but neither of these has worked
reliably for me. IME, I can saturate a headband with or without a
helmet. And the headband catches sweat before it hits my eyes, with
or without a helmet. On really hot, humid days, I've found I need to
stop every 45-60 minutes and squeeze or wring out the headband or
bandanna. And while I'm at it, squeeze out those puny sweat
collectors/concentrators in my helmet.

So, keep looking for some new danger to blame on helmets.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old November 11th 04, 02:28 AM
psycholist

"Patrick Lamb" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:27:23 GMT, "Bruce Frech"
wrote:

"do not spam" wrote in message
In article ,
B Paton wrote:
For example, many times I have been blinded by sweat on fast descents
when
air pressure squeeezes sweat out of the pads and into my eyes.

Try a headband.

Or try not wearing a helmet.

Maybe I'm a +3-sigma sweat-er, but neither of these has worked
reliably for me. IME, I can saturate a headband with or without a
helmet. And the headband catches sweat before it hits my eyes, with
or without a helmet. On really hot, humid days, I've found I need to
stop every 45-60 minutes and squeeze or wring out the headband or
bandanna. And while I'm at it, squeeze out those puny sweat
collectors/concentrators in my helmet.

So, keep looking for some new danger to blame on helmets.

Pat

Email address works as is.

EEEeeeewwwwww! NO! ... just ... NO!

Bob C.

Old November 11th 04, 02:30 AM
Bruce Frech

"Patrick Lamb" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:27:23 GMT, "Bruce Frech"

Or try not wearing a helmet.

Maybe I'm a +3-sigma sweat-er, but neither of these has worked
reliably for me. IME, I can saturate a headband with or without a
helmet. And the headband catches sweat before it hits my eyes, with
or without a helmet. On really hot, humid days, I've found I need to
stop every 45-60 minutes and squeeze or wring out the headband or
bandanna. And while I'm at it, squeeze out those puny sweat
collectors/concentrators in my helmet.

So, keep looking for some new danger to blame on helmets.

Pat

When you are in a race you can't stop and squeeze the headband. I've found
the only way to keep excessive sweat going into my eyes is to wipe with my
hand and I can't do that well when wearing sunglasses and a helmet.

Bruce