Long distance transportation advice needed

Old July 11th 03, 08:25 PM
Geoff G

Default Long distance transportation advice needed

My wife and I are moving across the country next week, and I have a
new road bike that I would like to keep from getting damaged. I don't
think I'll put it in the moving truck since it will get bounced around
a lot. Instead I'll put it on my roof rack and drive it 3000 miles on
our car. I've heard of people using those bike covers for long trips,
and I've heard of people wrapping the frame, fork and handlebars with
cloth to protect the bike from bugs and flying debris. Any advice on
how I can keep the bike nice and new?
Old July 12th 03, 03:42 PM
mark

"Geoff G" wrote ...
My wife and I are moving across the country next week, and I have a
new road bike that I would like to keep from getting damaged. I don't
think I'll put it in the moving truck since it will get bounced around
a lot. Instead I'll put it on my roof rack and drive it 3000 miles on
our car. I've heard of people using those bike covers for long trips,
and I've heard of people wrapping the frame, fork and handlebars with
cloth to protect the bike from bugs and flying debris. Any advice on
how I can keep the bike nice and new?

Put it in a padded travel case designed for taking bicycles on airplanes and
put it on the moving truck. Less chance of theft, damage from flying debris,
malfunctioning roofrack, etc. Mailboxes Etc., Bike Nashbar, Colorado
Cyclist, or your LBS should have something. $100 for a low end job that will
last about a dozen uses to $300 or more for a really durable, secure case.
--
mark

Old July 13th 03, 12:20 AM
Geoff G

That's probably the best way to protect it from damage, but then I
won't be able to ride it at the places we'll stop! Any ideas on how to
protect it if I decide to put it on the roof rack?

Old July 13th 03, 07:49 AM
mark

"Geoff G" wrote
Any ideas on how to
protect it if I decide to put it on the roof rack?

Colorado Cyclist sells a bike "bra" (don't know how else to describe it)
that covers the front of the bike, protecting it from bugs, dirt, and other
small flying objects. It seems to work best with a fork mount carrier.
Retails for about $30 IIRC. www.coloradocyclist.com

That and a garbage bage wrapped around the drive train and a plastic bag
over the saddle in case it rains, and you should be in business.
--
mark