No real bike mechanics of old time rim hepl

Old February 22nd 20, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default No real bike mechanics of old time rim hepl

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 19:48:55 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/21/2020 7:42 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 19:16:08 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 2/21/2020 4:49 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 15:29:50 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/21/2020 3:27 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/21/2020 1:47 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
On Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 3:56:59 PM UTC-6, Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok, I have this crappy Shimano RS61 wheelset. I don't use them
anymore but frankly they were ok for a lot miles. The problem is the
proprietary spokes and nipples. I want to rebuild the wheels with
plain old DB spokes but will need to be straight pull. I want to use
regular brass nips and this rim has no nipple holes tubeless. I am
not going to run tubeless and never did, ( cannot see any benefit to
that set up) but the process to get the nipples in the rim will be a
tedious pain. Not worth the trouble under ordinary conditions.

So the question is can I just drill holes on the out wall to put the
nipples in. This would take way less time and only be 16 and 20
holes. I can't see how the rim would be compromised but what do I
know? Then of course will regular nipples go in the rim I assume but
do I know?

So now for my rant. They have made bikes way to complicated for
ordinary folks. Does anyone build a bike with all the proved reliable
and easy stuff to maintain. Threaded BB, standard wheels with BD
spokes and nipples, and frankly cables buried in the frame really
don't make things any better. It seems to get all this you got to go
customer Ti or steel ( I did) but a CF bike is good to have on hand too.

end of rant give me the drill hole question could be this is the only
place to find a real mechanic

Deacon Mark Cleary

Maybe I am not clear. I the rims have no holes to thread the nipple so
you have to get the nipple through the valve stem hole and then down
to the proper spoke hole. All I want to do is drill another hole over
the top of each spoke hole like a normal rim. Much easier to put
spokes in and faster.

Deacon Mark Cleary

The recommended technique is a steel ended nylon line to direct the
nipple pulled with a ceramic magnet. It's not difficult to do.

... and I'd certainly try that first.

With a brass nipple :-?
--
cheers,

John B.

The steel end is attached to a nylon cord, the magnet
directs the steel part to the rim hole. Pull the cord and
the nipple on the other end drops in place.

Reading you and Franks explanations it seems as though the brass
nipple is tied to the string which has a magnet tied to the other end
which is drawn through the wheel by attraction to something made of
steel.

Given that the O.P. seems to believe that tubeless tires are a
abomination of the Devil I think I'd just drill a hole in the inner
rim surface... like a "regular wheel"?
--
cheers,

John B.

Yes that was Mark's thought. Mine was, "why?" He likely
won't be any better off than simply dropping the tension,
lubricating spoke threads and tensioning the wheel, which is
reasonably quick work.

One more thought.
Mark, before drilling your rim bed, see if a tire fits
easily when you add a rim liner to the center section. Some
tubeless rim designs don't have enough depth difference from
the bead seat to the center well for hands-only tire changes.

:-( I got some tires that don't allow hands-only tire changes :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 22nd 20, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Yes, a common enough problem. Rim designers don't observe
enough difference in height. Maybe they have never read
Michelin's original patent?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/