Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors

Old August 22nd 05, 02:31 AM
Bikesoiler

Default Zvino Bicycle Rim - New Inventors

Zoom wrote:
Is it really an improvement or just a gimmick?

I think it's an improvement.

Pro: Can be built to any spoke pattern/count to suit hub, i
16/20/24/28/32/36/40/48 etc.

Pro: Reduced inventory for wheel builders. Should mean reduced waitin
time for customers getting wheels built.

Pro: Suits (but not restricted to) MTB tubeless tires.

Pro: Coloured rim spacers could easily be made with reflectiv
material. Great for commuter & road use.

Con: Dedicated spoke nipples? Although if your shop has these rims
would think they should stock plenty of the right nipples to suit. N
worse than any of the current dedicated spoke & wheel systems (Ksyrium
Spox, Shimano?)

Good on Velocity for trying something new. A bit cheeky using The Ne
Inventors for publicity but why not

--
Bikesoiler

Old August 22nd 05, 03:14 AM
Rayc

Terry Collins wrote:
Rayc wrote:

the usually load of scummy crap because it is easier to **** on other
people than present their own 2c.

And you have responded with a different tone?

Con: aluminium = buckles easily

are you for real? look at any bike that not Kmart, target or from a
toyshop, Aluminium can at least be straighened, unlike steel ( when its
bent, thats it) lets not even talk about the better braking surface.

Okay, explain to me how I do that to remove buckles in my aluminium rims
and I will believe that you have a practical clue.

A practical clue? go and ask a bike shop and what they prefer to true(
unbuckle ) a steel wheel or an aluminium wheel. Given the same
non-fatal buckle or bend, which repair they will finish first or
suggest new wheel.

My experience is that with steel, buckles can generally be pulled out by
tightening a few spokes, but with aluminium it can buckle over a shorter
distance (between, 1,2 spokes) so you can not pull the buckle out.

Thats not a buckle, but a bend. You can do the same with steel (yes
its harder and permanent)

I do a type of All Terrain Riding, never road or track, so that might
explain my type of buckles. I prefer steel there. I'll only use
aluminium on commuter over a good surface route. YMMV.

Con: weight. It looks as if it would be great for low spoke wheels for
racing, but he showed an mtb rim which is more metal. It makes more
sense to me to aim at the racing wheel market.

you obviously have no current knowledge of the bike industry

I was in Kmart the other day. I think that means I something about the
bigger part of the bicycle industry.

Kmart or any other mass merchant may be a large part of the bike
industry as far as numbers go, but entering a store does not mean you
know something about and industry. Tha last time I was in Rebel sport,
a customer asked where the white goods were, that doesnt mean that
customers know what is in a particular store.

Con: all wheels have to be hand built.

again, these rims are not aimed at the bottom end of the market but as
replacement rims, or upgrades for bikes that are worthy of being
repaired. ( rim rebuilds cost approx $60+ (rim),

this rim costs only $60$?

Again, the rims are not aimed a the lowest end of the scale. Read the
statement" but as replacement rims, or upgrades for bikes that are
worthy of being repaired.

Pro: coloured bits in the rim which is easier than painting.

painting a rim? you are kidding , no?

you obviously don't deal with a certain part of the bicycle industry.

the bike industry as a generalisation, do not encourage painting of
rims as it usually hinders braking action. People who paint their own
bikes or parts are not considered part of the bike industry. Just cos
you surf and contribute to the net does not make you a web programmer.

Pro: low spoke count wheels, if you can get the hub. thinking of a past
conversation where a bicycle only has to last long enough to pass the
finish line.

low spoke counts last more than just the finishing line. Imaging
paying $1700 for a set of wheels that only last 50km!

Pro: high spoke count wheels, if you can get the hubs to match.

high spoke count? higher than what? they rims are designed to have as
many or as little spoke holes are the industry supplies in its hubs.

You obviously have no idea what this rims is designed for.

I'm only going on the presentation made on the New Inventors program.
Personally I think it is just another fad that will produce another
piece of unmaintainable crap. If it is still around in 20 years, then
I'll change my mind.

Reagardless of what you learnt from the program, how about using your
brain? Index gears, v-brakes, pnuematic tyres all a fad? Index gears
require cable tension to be right, but gear changes are easier for new
and experienced riders, v-brakes are more powerful and less fiddly to
keep adjusted corectly, and pnuematic tyres, whilst a puncture in
inconvient the ride and comfort are much better. But these fads are not
unmaintainable in any sense, in fact they are now considered selling
points.

the benefit for the bike industry.

don't you mean a segment of the bike industry?

The "bike industry" is definitely not uniform.

The shops only have to carry or order one style of rim,

Hmm, the "bike industry" now believes one style fits all?

and not have to worry about how many spoke holes there are.

agreed. Inventory and machinery reduction for custom bulders is one benefit.

as long as you have the right style of rim, road or mtb,

he only presented a mtb rim.
Perhaps I missed the mention of these other two.

you can build the
wheel as needed to suit the hubs provided by customers repair or as
purchased in the building of new wheels

So, you total argument is that a few custom wheel builders can reduce
their inventory. Yawn.

It is not intended as a product for only custom wheel builders, but
also as a replacement rim for repairs or upgrades. The inventor is
part of an Australian rim manufactuer who produces several types of
rime for each discipline ( road, mtb, bmx) This is their first model
and I'm sure that they intend to produce more rims to cover the exact
nature of the bike they are being fitted to. No not onje rim fits all.
One rim of the appropriate style to fit the hubs being reuilt or built.
Listen to the program, dont just watch the pictures!

If nothing else, that should tell you something about the state/mindset
of part of australian bicycle industry.

Terry, you are only one part of the cycling community. Many cyclists
repair and upgrade their bikes with the idea of improving the bike they
have or maintaining its upkeep. Look at the trend for footy players to
cross train using bicycles. Do you see them on kmart bikes. Yes I know
that they may well be able to afford better bikes, but they choose not
to use the most basic bikes available, but a bike that will provide a
suitable means of pursing training or recovery.

Old August 22nd 05, 11:24 AM
jim

WHAT? SOmebody wrote the following..

You obviously have no idea what this rims is designed for. the benefit
for the bike industry. The shops only have to carry or order one style
of rim, and not have to worry about how many spoke holes there are. as
long as you have the right style of rim, road or mtb, you can build the
wheel as needed to suit the hubs provided by customers repair or as
purchased in the building of new wheels

but - with the exception of the sub-$150 bike buyer - nobody buys wheels
like that

Would there likely be an appreciable demand in the future if this could be
well marketed?

Maybe - for the sub-$150 bike manufacturer - BUT they already have a ready
supply of cheap, heavy, tested crud - why change sources?

Old August 22nd 05, 12:55 PM
Rayc

jim wrote:
WHAT? SOmebody wrote the following..

You obviously have no idea what this rims is designed for. the benefit
for the bike industry. The shops only have to carry or order one style
of rim, and not have to worry about how many spoke holes there are. as
long as you have the right style of rim, road or mtb, you can build the
wheel as needed to suit the hubs provided by customers repair or as
purchased in the building of new wheels

but - with the exception of the sub-$150 bike buyer - nobody buys wheels
like that

so what would you do if you wreck a wheel on your $700+ mtb? buy
crossmax's? ( $1000+) no, most people get lbs shop to fit prebuilt
wheels or better still - get a stronger hand/shop built wheel fitted.
This is where these rims fit into the the bike industry now, as
replacement or upgrades. Not to fix the lowest end of the bikes out
there. You dont see rally drivers racing off road in shopping trolleys,
or compete in the olympics in a pair mocasins.

Would there likely be an appreciable demand in the future if this could be
well marketed?

I thought that there was quite a demand for this sort of stuff now. Ask
any mtb rider who ventures into the bush, dh riders, dirt jumper or
commuters and risks damaging a wheel.

Maybe - for the sub-$150 bike manufacturer - BUT they already have a ready
supply of cheap, heavy, tested crud - why change sources?

Again - not for the cheaper bikes, this is for ( and heres a gross
generalisation...) the bikes that are sold at bikes shops, not mass
merchants.

Imagine if you didnt have to wait for a wheel build/repair because the
bike shop doesnt have a rim with the same No of spoke hole as the ones
you just toasted. If you're lucky they can order them and get them in
two days and maybe have them built after another day or two. Its an
idea like this that makes life easier for the bike rider and the shop
they get their bikes fixed at.

Old August 22nd 05, 12:59 PM
dave

Default study.,. car color and passing space

repost from Uk cycling
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/159/12/1461.pdf
Old August 23rd 05, 12:07 AM
Rayc