Converting Brake mounting bolt to recessed bolt?

Old August 21st 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Converting Brake mounting bolt to recessed bolt?

Hi there.

I have a pair of old Shimano N-600 single pivot brakes I want to put
on my repainted MIELE Uno. These brakes are the nutted type and I want
to use recessed nuts on them. Is there any reason I can't just use a
die to cut more thread on the existing bolt and then cut off the bolyt
shorter for the recessed bolts? Does anyone know what die threading
I'd need for these threads?

Thanks again from Peter
Old August 21st 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 21 Aug, 19:24, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I have a pair of old Shimano N-600 single pivot brakes I want to put
on my repainted MIELE Uno. These brakes are the nutted type and I want
to use recessed nuts on them. Is there any reason I can't just use a
die to cut more thread on the existing bolt and then cut off the bolyt
shorter for the recessed bolts? Does anyone know what die threading
I'd need for these threads?

Reason: Easier to mount mudguards when brake caliper bolt is long and
nutted. Those calipers have greater value to other riders.
Old August 21st 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Aug 21, 2:37*pm, someone wrote:
On 21 Aug, 19:24, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Hi there.

I have a pair of old Shimano N-600 single pivot brakes I want to put
on my repainted MIELE Uno. These brakes are the nutted type and I want
to use recessed nuts on them. Is there any reason I can't just use a
die to cut more thread on the existing bolt and then cut off the bolyt
shorter for the recessed bolts? Does anyone know what die threading
I'd need for these threads?

Reason: *Easier to mount mudguards when brake caliper bolt is long and
nutted. *Those calipers have greater value to other riders.

Hi there.

I don't want to spend $60 - $80 for new calipers (quoted price) when I
have a perfectly functional pair right here that only need a shorter
brake mounting bolt to be perfect for *ME* to use on this bicycle.
Mounting fenders is not all that much harder with brake calipers using
a recessed mounting nut - I know because I have done that lots of
times.

I was thinking about ctting more threads on the existing bolts because
that would save me a trip to the LBS tomorrow ro scrounge the parts
bins for new recessed mounting bolts from another set of brakes. I'd
rather spend that time tomorrow riding my other MIELE.

Cheers from Peter
Old August 21st 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I have a pair of old Shimano N-600 single pivot brakes I want to put
on my repainted MIELE Uno. These brakes are the nutted type and I want
to use recessed nuts on them. Is there any reason I can't just use a
die to cut more thread on the existing bolt and then cut off the bolyt
shorter for the recessed bolts? Does anyone know what die threading
I'd need for these threads?

Use the medium length rear for your allen front then cut the
long bolt and thread it m6 x 1.0 for the allen rear.

Since the rear brake is oriented to present less danger of a
failure, do it that way and use the factory threaded 'rear'
bolt in front.

Or of course alternately get a Shimano short bolt for the rear.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 21st 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 21 Aug, 19:50, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Either do what AM suggests, or fill the holes using steel tube.
Cutting two lengths of tube is much easier than cutting and threading
an already hardened chromoly mounting bolt btw.
Old August 21st 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:12:21 -0700 (PDT), someone wrote:

Cutting two lengths of tube is much easier than cutting and threading
an already hardened chromoly mounting bolt btw.

I'd be interested in the source for this claim that Shimano N600 brake
bolts are

a) "chromoly"; and
b) hardened

of course, if it's of the nature of "my 'experience' says so, and I'm dead
clever, I am", that will get the weight it deserves.
Old August 21st 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

_ wrote:
I'd be interested in the source for this claim that Shimano N600 brake
bolts are
a) "chromoly"; and
b) hardened
of course, if it's of the nature of "my 'experience' says so, and I'm dead
clever, I am", that will get the weight it deserves.

I doubt they are CrMo and they are certainly not hardened
(having threaded them).
Old August 21st 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben C

_ wrote:
I'd be interested in the source for this claim that Shimano N600 brake
bolts are
a) "chromoly"; and
b) hardened
of course, if it's of the nature of "my 'experience' says so, and I'm dead
clever, I am", that will get the weight it deserves.

I doubt they are CrMo and they are certainly not hardened
(having threaded them).

A related question: if a bolt is CrMo presumably that implies it's not
stainless and will therefore rust?
Old August 21st 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

_ wrote:
I'd be interested in the source for this claim that Shimano N600 brake
bolts are
a) "chromoly"; and
b) hardened
of course, if it's of the nature of "my 'experience' says so, and I'm dead
clever, I am", that will get the weight it deserves.

I doubt they are CrMo and they are certainly not hardened
(having threaded them).

A related question: if a bolt is CrMo presumably that implies it's not
stainless and will therefore rust?

Depends on whether the bolt is plated. I have lots of bolts on my
bike that are definitely not stainless yet are not rusted. Rear
derailleur bolt, downtube boss bolts, seatbinder bolt, water bottle
cage bolts, chainring bolts, brake bolts, pedal axles. All are steel
and plated somehow and are not rusted.
Old August 21st 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 21, 4:15*pm, "
wrote:

_ wrote:
I'd be interested in the source for this claim that Shimano N600 brake
bolts are
a) "chromoly"; and
b) hardened
of course, if it's of the nature of "my 'experience' says so, and I'm dead
clever, I am", that will get the weight it deserves.

I doubt they are CrMo and they are certainly not hardened
(having threaded them).

A related question: if a bolt is CrMo presumably that implies it's not
stainless and will therefore rust?

Depends on whether the bolt is plated. *I have lots of bolts on my
bike that are definitely not stainless yet are not rusted. *Rear
derailleur bolt, downtube boss bolts, seatbinder bolt, water bottle
cage bolts, chainring bolts, brake bolts, pedal axles. *All are steel
and plated somehow and are not rusted.- Hide quoted text -

Not sure the bolts are chrome plated or zinc plated.