Cycle lockers & SW Trains

Old September 15th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

Default Cycle lockers & SW Trains

Wow, what an exciting time I've been having over the last few days. Looks
like I'm going to have to leave my MTB overnight at a station in Hampshire,
although it turns out that there are cycle lockers there too.

Quick call to SW Trains, during which they said they had no record of any
lockers at the station, and then no reply for two days. Called again, and
the lady was genuinely apologetic and contacted the station direct. Turns
out there are four lockers there on which four people have paid a deposit
and provided passport details for proof. However, it seems that once they
have one, there is no monthly charge and they are therefore able to just
keep the locker for life even if not using it. Well, that's my impression
from here (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/railleaflet04.pdf), and SW Trains
confirmed this.

If that really is the case, this is ridiculous. I'd be prepared to pay £5 a
month to keep my bike in there, and when I didn't want it anymore I wouldn't
want to keep shelling out a monthly fee. Allowing them to keep the deposit
indefinitely isn't a big enough enticement to give up the locker, expecially
as there already is a waiting list.

Seems that they need to review this, and install more lockers. I'm not
overly happy at leaving my bike outside every night and every weekend for
the local scrotes to eye up. I do lock properly, but just know my pedals and
handlebars will be had at some point. I can't be expected to remove them
every night!

Anyone with any local views, as I've done all this research without having
ever been to Winchfield station.

Old September 15th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Smith

Hi Elyob,

elyob wrote:

Anyone with any local views, as I've done all this research without having
ever been to Winchfield station.

I have local views, but you might want to mail me for them (address
above works and I check it regularly).

Mike
Old September 15th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Not Responding

elyob wrote:
Well, that's my impression
from here (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/railleaflet04.pdf), and SW Trains
confirmed this.

Very out of date leaflet - many more stations have lockers than
indicated there. Re the issue of charging and monitoring use - I'll
investigate.

Personally, I'm in favour of charging for the lockers (assuming copious
free sheffield stands are available as an alternative). Once the rail
companies understand that cyclists are willing and able to cough up,
there'll be a much greater willingness to provide decent parking.

£5 a week sounds reasonable for A1 Gold Standard parking. The
landowner would be getting better returns from bike lockers than for
car parking.

Old September 15th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"Not Responding" wrote in message
ups.com...

Very out of date leaflet - many more stations have lockers than
indicated there. Re the issue of charging and monitoring use - I'll
investigate.

You think that's out of date, SWT originally denied any being at the
station! Any info, do let me know! Thanks.

Personally, I'm in favour of charging for the lockers (assuming copious
free sheffield stands are available as an alternative). Once the rail
companies understand that cyclists are willing and able to cough up,
there'll be a much greater willingness to provide decent parking.

£5 a week sounds reasonable for A1 Gold Standard parking. The
landowner would be getting better returns from bike lockers than for
car parking.

I think a charge scenario is better that just a deposit as it'll free any
up, even if it's just for two weeks whilst someone goes on holiday.
Unfortunately, some people down there would have no problem putting down a
hefty deposit, as they know they'll get it back. However, I would also say
that some of the people down there have deep enough pockets that they
wouldn't blink at £20/month. At £5 a week, I would do it, but only with some
assurances. Well, I guess the A1 Gold would be my assurance. But you're
right, it then becomes a money spinner, therefore they may be willing to
invest more. Which would be nice.

Old September 15th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
triddletree

Not Responding wrote:

Personally, I'm in favour of charging for the lockers (assuming copious
free sheffield stands are available as an alternative). Once the rail
companies understand that cyclists are willing and able to cough up,
there'll be a much greater willingness to provide decent parking.

£5 a week sounds reasonable...

I thought the lockers had to be 'free' due to Hampshire County Council
'principles' in support of riding to stations.
ISTR it is they who set the rules, not SWT spit
I think the lockers are more HCC than SWT.

tt
Old September 16th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Not Responding

triddletree wrote:
Not Responding wrote:

Personally, I'm in favour of charging for the lockers (assuming copious
free sheffield stands are available as an alternative). Once the rail
companies understand that cyclists are willing and able to cough up,
there'll be a much greater willingness to provide decent parking.

£5 a week sounds reasonable...

I thought the lockers had to be 'free' due to Hampshire County Council
'principles' in support of riding to stations.
ISTR it is they who set the rules, not SWT spit
I think the lockers are more HCC than SWT.

Indeed, the chief exec of SWT is a notorious cyclist hater. This is
due, in part, to the ferocious campaigning by cyclists that he has had
to deal with.

SWT continue to demand more car parking at rail stations in Hants. They
are fully aware of the huge, unmet demand. HCC and the local
authorities are, in principle against this - car parks create traffic
which causes congestion, pollution etc. While better car parking
provision may, to some extent, reduce overall car-miles you certainly
don't want to encourage people to drive into towns. Parkway stations
are different and Southampton Airport is a good example where car
parking /is/ being allowed to increase.

My view is that SWT have not really understood the economics of rail
travel and parking provision. Bear in mind that to recover the costs of
owning town centre development land, you need to charge at least a
pound an hour per car. Few stations charge this much and are,
therefore, subsidising drivers.

But to really maximise revenue, they need to get more bums on seats and
when you can get 8 bikes parked on the same space as one car, the
economics become obvious.

The real shift will come when the rail companies realise that cyclists
are willing and able to pay their way.

Old September 16th 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
david lloyd

"Not Responding" wrote in message
ups.com...

Indeed, the chief exec of SWT is a notorious cyclist hater. This is
due, in part, to the ferocious campaigning by cyclists that he has had
to deal with.

He wouldn't have to put up with the campaigning if he just gave us
what we want. Seriously, check-out the 'National no-bike-day'
thread and see what you think. I know rail station car parking is
expensive, but for one day it could be worth it just to show what
a problem the country would have without us.

--
Dave Lloyd
So open minded, my brains dribbled out.

Old September 16th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

david lloyd wrote on 16/09/2006 13:35 +0100:

He wouldn't have to put up with the campaigning if he just gave us
what we want. Seriously, check-out the 'National no-bike-day'
thread and see what you think. I know rail station car parking is
expensive, but for one day it could be worth it just to show what
a problem the country would have without us.

You'd have to get up early to get to the spaces before the regulars.
But for just one day it would be worth it!

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old September 16th 06, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Not Responding

david lloyd wrote:
"Not Responding" wrote in message
ups.com...

Indeed, the chief exec of SWT is a notorious cyclist hater. This is
due, in part, to the ferocious campaigning by cyclists that he has had
to deal with.

He wouldn't have to put up with the campaigning if he just gave us
what we want. Seriously, check-out the 'National no-bike-day'
thread and see what you think. I know rail station car parking is
expensive, but for one day it could be worth it just to show what
a problem the country would have without us.

Rail car parking is cheap as chips. Try buying some town centre
development land, surfacing it, lighting it, cleaning it, insuring it,
maintaining it etc etc etc and if you want to break even, you'll be
charging more than the railways do.

A new(ish) Cycle Lane Bob Downie UK 46 September 6th 06 10:59 PM
Britain! Britain! Britain! cfsmtb Australia 3 June 9th 06 02:46 PM
Cycle Safety Quizz Bertie Wiggins UK 16 October 10th 05 07:51 PM
Free cycle training at the cycle show John Hearns UK 0 October 8th 05 10:24 PM
BMA page updated Just zis Guy, you know? UK 8 March 5th 05 12:35 AM