Well, why the hell not?

Old October 22nd 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Capri

Default Well, why the hell not?

During the spring and Early summer of 1971 I rode a 10 speed Scwin
World Tour bicyclye from Missoula, Mt to Key West Florida. Except for a
few other riders I met up along the way, I did
it alone and had an absolute blast. They were some of the most
memorable months of my lifetime. Now 35 years later, Im living in
Florida and looking at retirement in another few years. A back problem
took me off of the upright bike for several years but then in '01 I
bought a used LWB recumbent (Ryan Vanguard) which is somewhat of an
antique now. The other night I was out in the garage tinkering around
with the bike and I began to think about that bike trip so many years
ago. And the more I thought, the more I started wondering if I could
do it again. I haven't been quite so excited or had a goal like this in
a long time. Now I would most likely upgrade new touring stuff, maybe
a BOB trailer and shortly after I I retire, head west for another cross
country trip. Well, this evening I ran it by my wife of 30 years and to
put it mildly she is not the least bit excited about it. She'll come
aroiund. I'll get the boys on my side.

Phil

Old October 22nd 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article .com,
"Capri" wrote:

[...]

Well, *why* the hell not? A tour would be a heck of a good time! For
inspiration, check out:

http://www.trentobike.org

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com

Old October 22nd 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Kruger

"Capri" wrote in message
oups.com...
.... Now 35 years later, Im living in
Florida and looking at retirement in another few years.
... The other night I was out in the garage tinkering around
with the bike and I began to think about that bike trip so many years
ago. And the more I thought, the more I started wondering if I could
do it again. I haven't been quite so excited or had a goal like this in
a long time.

I hope YOU can do it, because that's roughly what I plan to do when I
retire.
My dream is to ride my normal commute route down to the Chicago Loop, yell
at my co-workers something appropriate, head east until the ocean. Then have
the bike shipped to the Pacific and ride home from there.

Well, this evening I ran it by my wife of 30 years and to
put it mildly she is not the least bit excited about it. She'll come
aroiund. I'll get the boys on my side.

My non-biking wife isn't enthused either, but I've been mentioning this
every couple of months for years, so if she isn't prepared for my absence
it's not as thought she hasn't been warned.

Check out the CrazyGuyOnABike site. You'll see lots of retirees making long
bike trips there.

Old October 22nd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Capri" wrote:

[...]

I say go for it!!

I've always wanted to do a bike tour but NEVER did when
younger.

Now I'm 48.... out of shape...desk job.... but planning
to do my first ever tour next summer. What the hell
huh?

Anyway.... are you sure a BOB trailer would work on a
bent?
Old October 22nd 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Mike Kruger" wrote:

Check out the CrazyGuyOnABike site. You'll see lots of retirees making long
bike trips there.

yeah that's a GREAT web site!

I would also start reading and looking into ultra-light
methods of bike touring

I did....and have been learning that I don't "need" as
much "stuff" as I thought I did. G

But you do need the RIGHT kind of stuff
Old October 23rd 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"
wrote:

http://www.utterfolly.com/

Great site

Thanks!

Hell Ride Solution - simple! Stomper Australia 6 September 3rd 06 05:07 AM
Hell of the North ride Chris Tarpey UK 5 May 3rd 05 11:23 AM
5 Miles of Hell CSL Unicycling 4 February 17th 05 01:04 PM
I'm Thinking That It Would Be A Hell Lot More Fun To Use Tom Kunich alvey Racing 2 February 7th 05 07:22 PM
Hell of the North Graham Haller Mountain Biking 0 January 13th 04 06:47 PM