Custom Bicycles

Old August 7th 04, 03:25 PM
skim500

Default Custom Bicycles

I'm not a racer, just a schmo looking to upgrade to a really nice
bike. I'm 5.7" 155 lbs, who does longer rides, but an occasional short
distance tri. I'm riding a smooth late 90's Lemond Zurich.

I'm considering a custom Seven/Serotta/IF bike. I have pretty short
legs relative to my body. I've read many posts regarding the benefits
of custom bikes for oddly shaped persons like myself and they are all
compelling. I have never heard anyone complain about the three
aforementioned brands. What I want to know is if a bike builder can
change tube sizes, geometry, wall thicknesses etc to fit exactly your
body and riding style, doesn't it at some point compromise the
original integrity and ride of their intended design? E.g, I often
hear about the magical feel of Serotta's steel or Seven's ti. But if
wall thicknesses and lengths are all being parametered to the rider,
won't that deter from the intended "target ride quality"?

Any help or advice in clarifying this to me is appreciated.

skim
Old August 7th 04, 03:57 PM
Dave Thompson

"skim500" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Why don't you contact a custom builder, such as Dave Kirk:
http://www.kirkframeworks.com/ and ask him? He's knowledgable (worked for
Serotta as builder/head of R&D and built the 7/11 TdF frames) and willing to
discuss most anything bicycle.

Old August 7th 04, 04:25 PM
Simon Dodd

"skim500" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering a custom Seven/Serotta/IF bike. I have pretty short
legs relative to my body. I've read many posts regarding the benefits
of custom bikes for oddly shaped persons like myself and they are all
compelling. I have never heard anyone complain about the three
aforementioned brands. What I want to know is if a bike builder can
change tube sizes, geometry, wall thicknesses etc to fit exactly your
body and riding style, doesn't it at some point compromise the
original integrity and ride of their intended design? E.g, I often
hear about the magical feel of Serotta's steel or Seven's ti. But if
wall thicknesses and lengths are all being parametered to the rider,
won't that deter from the intended "target ride quality"?

Skim,

Different builders have different approaches. The best way to find out what
builders do is call/write/visit them and ask them how they build their
bikes. Personally I did a frame search a few years ago for a similar short
leg/long torso body. I ended up going to Bernie Mikkelsen
(http://www.mikkelsenframes.com/) in the bay area. He was relatively
inexpensive, would make my bike with S&S couplers, and most importantly, had
a bike that was fully adjustable. This adjustable bike could have any
dimension, angle, length changed on it. We adjusted stuff so it fit me and
my riding style, then he built the frame off of those measurements. Tubing
choices were based off of my riding style and my build. (short & stocky)

If you'd like to talk more about my experiences, I'd be happy to chat
offline. Email me:
simondotdoddatalumdotmitdotedu

take care,
simon

Old August 8th 04, 05:11 AM
RonSonic

On 7 Aug 2004 07:25:16 -0700, (skim500) wrote:

[...]

I think you're missing the point, the tubes are selected to OBTAIN the "target
ride quality."

To fit your leg and torso and arm lengths, all they need to do is cut the tubes
longer or shorter. No big deal and those are all measurents of the skeleton
really. To go to the next level, what does the builder do to accomodate riders
with different body types on the same size frame. Guys who need the same tube
lengths on a frame are not necessarily built anything alike, some fat, some
lean, some muscular, etc.. So that's where the tube selection comes in. And it
is done to obtain a good ride. A skinny guy doesn't need the rigidity of
sprinter, or a fattie.

Ron

Old August 8th 04, 08:29 PM
John Carrier

"skim500" wrote in message
om...
[...]

There a so many things a custom frame can accomplish that requires a
work-around on a stock frame. Chainstays can be built to a heavier gauge to
stiffen up the drive train while leaving the rest of the bike's compliance
relatively unaltered. A head tube can be lengthened to allow a less
flexible rider to find the right bar height without resorting to a large
spacer stack. The head angle and/or trail can be modified to make the bike
quicker to steer or more stable. Seat tube angle can be changed to
accommodate unusual leg lengths.

A stock frame can serve over 90% of the riders out there and can with rare
exception be equipped to fit almost all the rest. But a custom will fit
dead-solid-perfect and reflect the owner's choices in ride, handling and
appearance to a "T."

R / John