Possible Saddle Adjustment Needed?

Old April 7th 04, 08:32 PM
Tom Young

Default Possible Saddle Adjustment Needed?

Hi all:

I've ridden a road bike - on and off - for many, many years.
Irrespective of what saddle I'm using at the time I've consistently
worn out my shorts or tights on the inside of my right leg.

I've been increasing my mileage lately in anticipation of my first
ever century ride and now I'm starting to get saddle sores ("first
ever", too) at the crease where the right leg joins the trunk. Since
my first saddle sore developed fairly far forward (lots of time spent
in the drops) I began sitting upright more and have now developed
another saddle sore farther back!

Is there any sort of right/left saddle adjustment that might alleviate
this problem? I was thinking a slight rotation of the tip of the
saddle toward the right side of the bike might help?

TIA.

Tom Young
Old April 7th 04, 10:43 PM
daveornee

Tom Young wrote:
Hi all:
I've ridden a road bike - on and off - for many, many years.
Irrespective of what saddle I'm using at the time I've consistently worn
out my shorts or tights on the inside of my right leg.
I've been increasing my mileage lately in anticipation of my first ever
century ride and now I'm starting to get saddle sores ("first ever",
too) at the crease where the right leg joins the trunk. Since my first
saddle sore developed fairly far forward (lots of time spent in the
drops) I began sitting upright more and have now developed another
saddle sore farther back!
Is there any sort of right/left saddle adjustment that might alleviate
this problem? I was thinking a slight rotation of the tip of the saddle
toward the right side of the bike might help?
TIA.
Tom Young

Very few anatomies are exactly the same from side to side. If you
saddle supports your sit bones correctly, is pointed straight ahead, a
the proper height and fore/aft position there isn't much else you ca
do with that particular saddle. Some find that the saddle slightl
turned works better than arrow straight alignment. Sores can be a faul
of your shorts, padding, saddle shape/ padding distribution, or jus
that you are putting on more miles than your body can handle. There ar
some "balms" that can promote healing and others that can minimiz
chafing. I am familiar with what you are experiencing. There ar
certain combinations that work best for each rider, but nothing work
the same for every one. Castelli shorts washed and me showered afte
each ride, Terry Fly saddle, and a dusting of Gold Bond powder gives m
the best results

-

Old April 8th 04, 05:41 AM
Doug

by saddle sores, do you mean bruising and/or soreness? Or, do you mean a
folliculitis, i.e., inflammed hair folicles that becoime small boils or
pustules?

If it's the former, your seat may be too high, causing you to rock. Check
your bike fit! If it is the latter, a daily application of bacitracin or a
similar petroleum-based topical antibiotic after riding may help..

om...