glueless patches

Old December 30th 03, 07:26 AM

Default glueless patches

Alex Rodriguez writes:

I'm now running Conti Travel Contact tyres at 85 PSI (with new
tubes), so I'm patiently waiting for my first puncture to see how
those patches handle the higher pressure.

I got my first puncture on these tyres yesterday. It was from a
stiff "Michelin wire", too fine to measure with my cheap vernier
caliper, so I don't begrudge the Kevlar belts letting it through.

Anyhow, the Park glueless patch I used is still holding up at 85
PSI.

FYI. The park patches I used were on my racing bike that regularly
saw 120psi. That's the patch that held for a year.

Higher pressure generally assures better patch survival if the patch
is not fully cured to the tube (such that you can't peel it off
manually). The softer the tire, the more it flexes. Tire casing flex
is what ultimately loosens glueless patches... or conventional ones
that have just been applied.

The test for this is to lay a paper business card between tube and
casing and observe what is left of the card after about 100 miles.

Jobst Brandt

Old January 5th 04, 01:48 PM
David Damerell

Adam Rush wrote:
The longer a duration without flats you talk about on r.b.t, the
higher the chances of that nasty goathead deflowering your wheel's
butyl undergarments.

I flatted on Christmas Day AGAIN. It's starting to get to me...
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old January 5th 04, 07:49 PM
Trevor Brown

I'm a relatively recent convert. I've probably used about half a dozen, and
have had one go wonky. I put this down to user error as all the others have
been absolutely fine - on both road bikes and MTBs.

All the best, Trevor