pedestrians and cyclists

Old October 19th 04, 07:40 AM
Resound

Default pedestrians and cyclists

snip
What sort of gear did you wear riding in winter? Is there
say, a known awesome brand, that works a treat or is it
hit and miss with buying Goretex (or similar) stuff?
I hear it rains a little bit over there... ;-)
I am particularly fond of the fluoro orange faux-fur look...

hippy

Cool! Can you get knicks like that? And helmets?

Old October 19th 04, 07:53 AM
hippy

"Resound" wrote
I am particularly fond of the fluoro orange faux-fur look...

Cool! Can you get knicks like that? And helmets?

Do you want the 6-panel or the 8-panel knicks?
Helmets I'm not sure about. Actually, cfsmtb has
a bright red one I think? Might need to remove the
ears..

Hit the raver stores, buy pants and wear normal knicks
underneath. The benefit of rave-wear is it comes complete
with reflective patches!! :-)

You should see my beanbag..
custom fluoro orange/purple/black faux fur!!

I am THE TASTE MASTER! :-)

The cat liked it so much I had to hide it..

hippy

Old October 19th 04, 10:26 AM
Peter Signorini

"hippy" wrote in message
"David Trudgett" wrote
Second, electric scooters seem to be this year's craze for people with
more money than they know what to do with. These are dangerous in the

It appears that "mini bikes" will be joining them...

I'm seeing these minaturised versions of motorbikes
all over the place just recently. That means people will
be buying them... and where will all the new owners
go to "play Mick Doohan"? The road of course..

Mentione on 774 yesterday as a looming traffic problem. Apparently these
things are capable of up to 60kmh, with no licensing, rego nor uch road rule
recognition. They will just appear out of nowhere in any traffic - a death
trap for the rider.

Cheers
Peter

Old October 19th 04, 05:22 PM
oely

Suzy Jackson Wrote:

Dunno... I've been in Amsterdam for a week, and even _I_ am afraid of
the cyclists. Here they'll happliy mow you down. What does happen
though is that peds look out for bikes, and stay out of the way.
Traffic (of all kinds) flows very smoothly.

Regards,

Suzy (seriously considering emigrating)

I´ve been in Amsterdam about 4 months now and i gotta agree with th
Suzy. Some people on bikes here are rather nuts, they will pile righ
on through the tiniest gap between the tram and yourself then cut i
front of you and come to a dead stop. Theres a few areas in the centr
that are really just a minefield of accidents waiting to happen wit
tourists wandering out into the bike lanes. Im surprised i have no
seen any accidents. Having said all that though i find it fun commutin
around. For my road cycling I had my first little incident today ridin
a little north of Amsterdam on a dyke, 2 runners heading in the sam
direction were taking up the whole path and i just made it clear (i wa
polite) in my best/worst dutch that i am there and wanting to get pas
but of course they would not move. I had to ride off the path on th
edge of the dyke to get around em and they said in thick america
accents "rude asshole". It was really funny but i was seriously hurtin
from riding into a ridiculous swirling wind for so long all i could d
was smirk a bit. Riding here is such a pleasure compared to back hom
in Sydney. I lived near Vic road so if anyone familiar with it know
just how unsafe it is. Motorists are so careful of cyclists here and i
makes the experience alot more enjoyable. I still dont however totally
place my faith they will see me. I i miss some hills or anything t
climb. The closest thing to a hill ive encountered are 2 long bridge
on my ususal route i take on the road bike. I havent ventured fa
enough south yet but im planning to get down to the Amstel gold rac
area soon before winter really hits.

PS: not sure im considering emigrating just yet unless someone wants t
help me find some work? :

--
oely

Old October 20th 04, 12:39 AM
ritcho

oely Wrote:

[snip]

Riding here is such a pleasure compared to back home in Sydney. I live
near Vic road so if anyone familiar with it knows just how unsafe it is

[snip again]

Can't help you with your emigration plans, but I can sympathize wit
you regarding Victoria Rd. It would have to be close to being the wors
cycling road in Sydney (if not Australia!)

Ritc

--
ritcho

Old October 20th 04, 03:34 AM
dave

aeek wrote:
dave Wrote:

But.. IMHO its better than constantly widening the road.. and putting
in
lights.. and making life so idiotproof for the drivers.

Too many lights creates some accidents, when drivers naturally focus
on the 2nd set.

As I said.... we can always build a better idiot.

In fact.. people tell me all the time.. "I dont understand..how hard it
is to be a parent." They are right. I dont understand. Seems to me any
idiot can have kids.

looking after them... now thats something else

Dave
Old October 23rd 04, 12:50 AM
oely

ritcho Wrote:
Can't help you with your emigration plans, but I can sympathize with yo
regarding Victoria Rd. It would have to be close to being the wors
cycling road in Sydney (if not Australia!)

Ritch

Come to think of it dont think i ever saw a cyclist on it (for goo
reason), besides myself in some small parts of it. Luckily for m
commuting to work i was able to take the bike path along Parramatt
river

--
oely

Old October 23rd 04, 03:19 AM
geoffs

Are you talking courier wages or any job's wages?

I did bar work, Silver service waiting and secirity work. I hav
friends who have been doing legal and project management work and the
are making a fortune. We just had a flyer offering locum work i
Ireland that would pay 60% higher wages, airfares, accomodation and ca
for a minimum of 3 months. mmmmm thinking

I think I only saw one person with a mask on. I'm not even sure
that was London. Is it really bad? If I take up smoking will it
prevent me from noticing ;-)
[color=blue]
riding around the CBD when I took they mask off ther was a black rin
left on my face from the pollution. I have ridden down Oxford stree
and have only been able to see 500m due to all the taxis and buse
running on diesel It may have improved since I was there but?

Dunno, I'm not a courier. But as I keep telling myself.. there's
only one way to find out.
[color=blue]
I could leave the couriers behind so easily it was a joke. Might hav
had something to do with just having ridden nearly 11,000kms aroun
europe and being fairly fit. I was doing up to 220kms a day includin
cols coming back through France riding a fully loaded touring bike.
The other thing was if you can avoid the cars in Sydney then anythin
is easy.

3 years and only a couple? You weren't trying hard enough!
[color=blue]
I've been riding in Sydney for nearly 20 years. For a fair part of tha
riding around at least 15,000kms a year. I've only been over the bonne
of a car once in that time (frantically grabs a piece of wood).
Smashed a few mirrors off cars and done damage to people who tried t
run me over in my younger days. Wife wont let me do this any more
for some reason.
Did you know that if you give a side widow a good jab with your elbow
they break really easily?
yes we stop for red lights!

Are you speaking as a cyclist or a courier?
Cyclist - defensive cycling works best for me as well as a helme
mirror. If you don't obey the road rules how can cyclists ever expec
to be treated as equals by car drivers? Think BIG, think TRUCK!! I los
track of how many gutter bunnies I see wearing dark clothing or n
lights and then get ****ed off when they get/nearly hit.
Besides it doesn't matter how right I am as a cyclist. If some moro
hits me or us on the tandem, the car will win. Mind you if I catch u
with them at the lights when I am on the fixie then............

Rant over..........................

What sort of gear did you wear riding in winter? Is there
say, a known awesome brand, that works a treat or is it
hit and miss with buying Goretex (or similar) stuff?
I hear it rains a little bit over there... ;-)
I am particularly fond of the fluoro orange faux-fur look...

I thought about the faux-fur but I couldn't get the colour that
wanted )
I used to use a Berghaus Goretex jacket layer with fleece an
Helly-Hansen thermals. Tights with a waterproof front are good as ar
insulated booties. Mudguards are essential.
Wife now has an MEC Bernouli jacket and I have an MEC Supermicrof
jacket.
I'l get a another Gore jacket when we travel next year via Vancouver.
MEC has brilliant kit. If your jacket does spring a leak they will giv
you a new one. http://www.mec.ca/index.html
Always best to by stuff from places that experience rotten weather. I
it's made to be used in ****ty weather, then it will survive anywhere

--
geoffs

Old November 29th 04, 10:59 AM
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}

"Andrew Reddaway" writes:

[...]

I wish more were like this, but even so,
it could be wider, or ideally separated into two paths, one for "fast"
and one for "slow" traffic.

I wonder if two lanes up, two lanes down would work.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

Anti-social behaviour Danny Colyer UK 1552 September 25th 05 09:21 AM
[Long] ASA vs CTC Not Responding UK 18 January 20th 05 12:36 AM
Consultation on providing for pedestrians and cyclists Jo Stoller UK 10 June 21st 04 10:16 AM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Priority to be given to pedestrians and cyclists over cars? Richard Bates UK 23 October 30th 03 11:11 PM