Petrol Price Gloat

Old April 15th 05, 07:18 AM
Peter Signorini

Default Petrol Price Gloat

"Carl Brewer" wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:49:07 +1000, hippy wrote:

It's okay dude..
I'll lose all my street cred when I add panniers to my bike

Unless they're full of BEER!

With the new Ortliebs I'm planning to load in to camp the D of Coopers, on
ice ;-)

Cheers
Peter

Old April 15th 05, 11:18 AM
Terry Collins

Theo Bekkers wrote:

You think so? Don't forget that the cost of everything goes up when
the cost of fuel goes up. All freight companies and air tickets now
carry a fuel surcharge. So that next part you want ....... That dozen
eggs ...... The cornflakes .....That holiday .....

We'll all be doomed said Hanrahan.

Theo you remind me of the old farts on misc.survivalism; if you don't
have 10 guns and 20 million rounds of ammo in your survival kit when
TEOTWAWKI comes, then your doomed.

Seriously, how many dozen of eggs do you think fit on a truck (B double
please), and just how much extra is it going to tote that load say
Sydney to Brisbane. So I would be really surprised if it put the price
of my eggs up by 1c per dozen.
Old April 15th 05, 11:34 AM
Terry Collins

wrote:

I agree with you about trucking, but suprisingly, the advances in car
efficiency over the last couple of decades have brought modern
diesel-powered cars ahead of trains in the long distance efficiency
stakes.

http://tinyurl.com/2wpyb

I actually went and read this ****e. I will try not to hold your lack of
comprehension against you in further postings.

So we compared one vehicle doing 215 MILEs PER HOUR (350Km/h) with
another doing ~120Km/h. Bing one.

Gee, all that extra weight just happens to occurr because the general
public gets rather ****ed if their train crashes at 350km/hr and it
means they a paste.

So we talk about a comparison with a diesel car! Bing Two. Who drives
diesel cars? CAR!. Is this a comparison with the turbo diesel taxi that
gets 100Km per litre by any chance.

"I know this will generate howls of protest, but at present a family of
four going by car is about as environmentally friendly as you can get."
ROFLMAO

Sorry, but all credibility goes out the window at this stage. Typical
blinkered engineer statement.

And finally, who funded this "study". sorry folks, but without knowing
who is funding the profs study, it is terribly suspect.

And engineers wonder why no one trusts them.

Old April 15th 05, 02:40 PM

Terry Collins wrote:
wrote:

I agree with you about trucking, but suprisingly, the advances in

car
efficiency over the last couple of decades have brought modern
diesel-powered cars ahead of trains in the long distance efficiency
stakes.

http://tinyurl.com/2wpyb

I actually went and read this ****e. I will try not to hold your lack

of
comprehension against you in further postings.

Fair enough,

I'll try not to hold against you the handicap of that enourmous brain
thats obviously causing you so many problems. You must have a very high
stem(*).

So we compared one vehicle doing 215 MILEs PER HOUR (350Km/h) with
another doing ~120Km/h. Bing one.

You've got a 215mph train at your front door straight to every
destination you want to go to, have you?

Ignoring the 215mph train, the _standard_ fast train is only as
efficient as the oil burner; hey looky here.. a car takes you door to
door, no waiting.

So we talk about a comparison with a diesel car! Bing Two. Who drives

diesel cars? CAR!. Is this a comparison with the turbo diesel taxi

that
gets 100Km per litre by any chance.

If you bothered to note the source, this was in the UK, ie: Europe.
At petrol prices in excess of AU$2/l, you'd be driving a diesel too. If
you believe the scare campaign going around at the moment, we'll all be
paying AU$3/l.

"I know this will generate howls of protest, but at present a family

of
four going by car is about as environmentally friendly as you can

get."
ROFLMAO

Sorry, but all credibility goes out the window at this stage. Typical

blinkered engineer statement.

And finally, who funded this "study". sorry folks, but without

knowing
who is funding the profs study, it is terribly suspect.

As would the opposite argument by an enviro campaigner, no?

And engineers wonder why no one trusts them.

Yep, no point trusting facts. Better off just _knowing_ that you're
right.

If you bother to follow up the report:

http://www.raeng.org.uk/news/publica...sport_2050.pdf

you'll see that those dastardly engineers' aren't advocating total
abandonment of the rail system... they're merely pointing out that it
is not as efficient as people **assume**. Not that your one of those
people, no.

(*) a.b content.

Old April 16th 05, 09:19 AM
aeek

Terry Collins Wrote:

And gee, only $3/litre. they'll still buy it and waste it. Try
$10/litres before they will consider doing anything except whinge
moan
and whine.

The last bottle of belgian beer I got and drank was well ove
$10/litre.
Could have been cycling fuel

--
aeek

Old April 18th 05, 02:05 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Terry Collins" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Seriously, how many dozen of eggs do you think fit on a truck (B
double please), and just how much extra is it going to tote that
load say Sydney to Brisbane. So I would be really surprised if it
put the price of my eggs up by 1c per dozen.

:-) If the cost of fuel goes up, the transport cost of everything goes
up Terry. If every item goes up by only one cent, then your weekly
shopping will go up by a dollar or two. Then you can add the GST on
that. I don't think the price of petrol going up will actually help
anybody. (Except maybe Gov't revenue).

Theo

Old April 18th 05, 02:26 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:05:54 +0800, "Theo Bekkers"
wrote:

"Terry Collins" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Seriously, how many dozen of eggs do you think fit on a truck (B
double please), and just how much extra is it going to tote that
load say Sydney to Brisbane. So I would be really surprised if it
put the price of my eggs up by 1c per dozen.

:-) If the cost of fuel goes up, the transport cost of everything goes
up Terry. If every item goes up by only one cent, then your weekly
shopping will go up by a dollar or two. Then you can add the GST on
that. I don't think the price of petrol going up will actually help
anybody. (Except maybe Gov't revenue).

If it makes one person, once, think about alternatives to driving
and burning irreplacable fossil fuels, then it will help everyone.

Old April 18th 05, 04:45 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Carl Brewer" wrote
wrote:

:-) If the cost of fuel goes up, the transport cost of everything
goes
up

If it makes one person, once, think about alternatives to driving
and burning irreplacable fossil fuels, then it will help everyone.

I know it's only Monday, but I'd like to nominate your response as the
silliest of the week. :-)

Theo

Old April 18th 05, 09:19 AM
byron27

till! Wrote:
Id never do it on my road bike, but its ok on my tourer...

The /only/ way to carry a carton on a bike is on your shoulder. Yo
dont get any respect any other way

til

ps: I only drink from glas

pps: its pretty much downhill from my bottleshop as well :P

of course, you get a whole lot more credit if you are also drinking
king brown at the same time

--
byron2

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose