Petrol Price Gloat

Old April 12th 05, 11:42 PM
Terry Collins

Default Petrol Price Gloat

Some total brain dead ****wit who also cross posted to aus-cars wrote:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:09:19 +1000, PiledHigher wrote:

It isn't just cars that use fuel. Think of aircraft, ships, trucks, trains. They all use fuel.

Yep, but different types and therefore not neccessarily affected as much
and for some of them it actually doesn't matter..

Do I care? NOPE, I am immensely happy because it might just mean I see
less mass produced crap being brought into and distributed around this
country. That can only be good for employment.

Old April 13th 05, 12:16 AM
flyingdutch

Dave Wrote:

It isn't just cars that use fuel. Think of aircraft, ships, trucks
trains. They all use fuel.

So when the price of fuel goes up, everyone pays because the cost o
just about everything goes up to
compensate.

Planes could use a rubberband like my balsawood model when i was a ki
( images of hippy going OS on the 'tricksta-assassin )
ships can use solar/sails like the new scandinavian shipping liners

Trucks, well...

Trains are 'relatively' efficient and would negate the need for muc
longdistance trucking

and we could stop importing so much and thus reliant on so muc
transport and return to the village model we left behind and negate th
need for 'sea-changing' as it would be in our backyard already!

F"political-rant"Dutc

--
flyingdutch

Old April 13th 05, 01:06 AM
Bean Long

There's no doubt that people will bitch and moan about these increased
petrol prices but still buy the same amount of petrol and drive the same
distance with the same (expensive) car, year in year out. What I want to
know is where these people get the money from?! They seem to be the same
people with an unaffordable mortgage, the latest gadgets, a new car and,
yes, the house in that new 'country' estate just next to the freeway where
they join the traffic queue at the same time every morning. These 60-70 kg
(probably more) lazy *******s sitting in their 1 tonne (probably more)
vehicles pumping out ****ey exhaust fumes are the most selfish, pathetic and
downright stupid people in the country. However, next time you ride to
work, take note of how many of these small bodies you see in their rows of
cars and realise... they are the voting majority. Jo and Joe Average run
the country, don't they!?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Old April 13th 05, 01:07 AM
Bean Long

Sad, I clearly fit the grumpy old man stereotype and I didn't think I was
that old... just very jaded obviously!

"I don't belieeeeve it!"

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
"PiledHigher" wrote in
message ...

Terry Collins Wrote:

I hope you watched the first part of Grumpy Old Men at 8pm on ABC TV
tonight {:-).

Taped it by accident! Gold!

Say it loud & proud, I'm a grumpy old man!

--
PiledHigher

Old April 13th 05, 01:09 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-04-12, eddiec wrote:
It's a pity all we're hearing is bitching and demands for removal of
taxes. The only positive thing I've seen is an automotive column
starting to talk about more fuel efficient cars - 'bout bloody time
after guzzling 4wds, falcons and rx8s...

I remember reading somewhere -- probably another Usenet group -- about a
very interesting proposal. It comes in several steps.

1) Estimate the likely price increases for oil over the next fifty
years.
2) *Triple* it. So if the current price is a dollar a barrel, and in
fifty years it's estimated to be a hundred dollars and one dollars
a barrel, the price rise will be $100; the figure then becomes
3*100 = $300.
3) Add taxes to oil, such that the price ramps up steadily to the
eventual figure. eg: two years down the road, the price will be
(2*300/50+1) = $13 a barrel. If the actual price increase is less
than expected, raise the taxes to compensate; if it's greater,
hopefully there's enough of a buffer in the taxes to absorb the
difference.
4) (the *important* bit): Apply the taxes raised in this manner to
research into alternate fuels.

With luck, fifty years down the road, the need for oil is reduced to the
point where it can be supplied domestically ... and the country is
exporting the technology to the rest of the world.

Old April 13th 05, 01:12 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-04-12, PiledHigher wrote:

So petrol is hitting a $1.20 a litre, every second ACA & TT story is a
winge about it.

That 'bargain' house and land package just 30 minutes (& 50k's) from
the city on the freeway (at 3am monday morning & 90min's weekeday
morning) is not sounding like such a bargain. And of course there's no
public transport, it was a farm 5 years ago.

And people wonder why I spent the high end of my budget on a unit in
Mitcham...

This morning's commute:
* Fifteen minutes to Burwood Highway from my place -- call it Mitcham
Station.
* Five minutes from Burwood Highway to High Street Rd.
* Five minutes from High Street Rd to the Glen.
* Five minutes from the Glen to Waverley Road (near the aquatic
centre).
* Eight minutes from Waverley Road to the intersection of Blackburn Rd
and the freeway.
* Seven minutes from that intersection to walking in the door of my
office at work.

Total time: 45 minutes. Would've taken me longer by the time I parked in
the free car parking and walked from there...

Old April 13th 05, 01:23 AM
Bean Long

Travel time is a good point to make. It takes me exactly the same time
(almost down to the minute) from leaving home to arriving at work if I catch
the bus or if I ride. It's possibly a 5 -10 min shorter trip by car, but
I've been meaning to upgrade to a new bike which I am sure will cut at least
5 mins off my travel time (stiff rear hub - or at least that's my excuse).
The difference in fuel cost is obviously enormous... when I ride I take an
extra apple to work with me!

Old April 13th 05, 01:48 AM

flyingdutch wrote:
Trains are 'relatively' efficient and would negate the need for much
longdistance trucking

I agree with you about trucking, but suprisingly, the advances in car
efficiency over the last couple of decades have brought modern
diesel-powered cars ahead of trains in the long distance efficiency
stakes.

http://tinyurl.com/2wpyb

That being said, my commute is faster, cheaper, cleaner and more
enjoyable on a bike. The last time I drove to work (maybe a couple of
months ago?), it took me about 40min each way. The bicycle takes me 25
minutes door to door.

Even though I live within walking distance of one of Sydneys largest
public transport hubs (Parramatta), and my workplace is within 2min
walking distance of another train station, public transport would take
approx the same time as driving.
There's only one place to put blame of the complete lack of public
transport infrastructure in the outer suburbs, and that's the state
governments.

btw, forget the $3/litre $100/barrel scare campaign going around the
traps. By then, the petroleum industry will be back to shale oil (and
other resource) extraction.

/rant

Old April 13th 05, 02:26 AM
Tamyka Bell

PiledHigher wrote:

So petrol is hitting a $1.20 a litre, every second ACA & TT story is a
winge about it.

That 'bargain' house and land package just 30 minutes (& 50k's) from
the city on the freeway (at 3am monday morning & 90min's weekeday
morning) is not sounding like such a bargain. And of course there's no
public transport, it was a farm 5 years ago.

Glad I live within cycling distance of work and in an area with public
transport.

I think we will see some significant upheavels in the next 5 to 10
years.

--
PiledHigher

It was great riding to uni past the servos with the fuel up at $1.10
(this is V. Expensive for BrisVegas)

Wave to the drivers....
Tam
Old April 13th 05, 02:28 AM
Shabby

I'm just spewing that for the first time in my life I've got a job
can't ride to (200km round trip doesn't leave much time for working
and now petrol goes up.......

Perhaps I'm a "Motorist" now (and f*cking hating it, for the record)
Perhaps that's why I'm starting to look like a motorist now, not a bik
rider. Might have to get me some of them driving gloves...... and
hat.......and start writin' to the 50-50 collumn about all them pesk
cyclist out runing the roads and not payin' taxes like us motorists.

Off to ring 3AW to complain about the guvmint now

--
Shabby