Trent Dalton's article in last Saturday's CM Q Weekend Magazine

Old October 31st 06, 11:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Trent Dalton's article in last Saturday's CM Q Weekend Magazine

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 31 Oct 2006 22:21:04 +1100
Patrick Keogh wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

It takes a lot longer than that to get the fitness. YOu get better
and it's easier, but it takes months not weeks to drastically drop the
times.

Yes but ... 16Km in 80 minutes is 12Kph. I'm in my fifties, overweight,
I ride on average less than once a week, probably around 1500KM per
year, and I don't get any other meaningful exercise, but if I averaged
less than 24Kph on a slightly up and down city route with a mix of cycle
path, roads with traffic lights etc. I'd go see a doctor.

If it's slightly up and down maybe. Mine's more than that, and I am
lucky to average 16kph now. IT was 12 when I started.

Zebee
Old October 31st 06, 11:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Duracell Bunny wrote:

asterope wrote:
Tamyka Bell Wrote:
LotteBum wrote:
Pain, Trains & Automobiles

By: -Trent Dalton-
That was awesome. Long, but awesome. Shame he's too soft to
keep riding...

You know, if he just gave it a good 2 weeks of commuting 32kms a day,
it wouldnt even take him 80 minutes IN TOTAL per day of travel time.

a good article... i hope he does go through with buying himself a
pushie.

I remember when I started riding again in March this year - a little 12km ride
and I was worn out. Did 18km the next day though, and soon it stopped hurting.

I must say a regular 16km commute, as long as you have change facilities, would
be quite pleasant if you can pick your travel times

That's what I've got! But 16km just feels too short. I mean,
is it really worth breaking a sweat for such a short ride?

16km is mighty hard if you do it in E3 or higher. Intervals Tam ...

Old October 31st 06, 12:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:05:29 +1100
asterope wrote:
You know, if he just gave it a good 2 weeks of commuting 32kms a day,
it wouldnt even take him 80 minutes IN TOTAL per day of travel time.

yes it would.

It takes a lot longer than that to get the fitness. YOu get better
and it's easier, but it takes months not weeks to drastically drop the
times.

32km is a fair way. No idea if it's got much in the way of hills, i
do 20 and I'm better than I was but halve the time? no way.

Maybe if he wasn't on some great heavy 'bent?
An average roady doing a couple of rides a week cruises at 25-30km/h on
the flat after a couple of months of riding.

Old October 31st 06, 12:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Patrick Keogh wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:

It takes a lot longer than that to get the fitness. YOu get better
and it's easier, but it takes months not weeks to drastically drop the
times.

Yes but ... 16Km in 80 minutes is 12Kph. I'm in my fifties, overweight,
I ride on average less than once a week, probably around 1500KM per
year, and I don't get any other meaningful exercise, but if I averaged
less than 24Kph on a slightly up and down city route with a mix of cycle
path, roads with traffic lights etc. I'd go see a doctor.

I'm sorry I don't know Trent Dalton, but unless he looks like Russ Hinze
he can surely do better than 12Kph.

Did he mention what bike he used, and its condition?

Old October 31st 06, 12:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Donga Wrote:
Patrick Keogh wrote:

I'm sorry I don't know Trent Dalton, but unless he looks like Russ

Hinze
he can surely do better than 12Kph.

Did he mention what bike he used, and its condition?

The story about a certain Canberra pollie & the exercise bike just
sprang to mind ...

--
cfsmtb

Old October 31st 06, 12:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-10-31, Bleve (aka Bruce)

asterope wrote:
You know, if he just gave it a good 2 weeks of commuting 32kms a day,
it wouldnt even take him 80 minutes IN TOTAL per day of travel time.

yes it would.

It takes a lot longer than that to get the fitness. YOu get better
and it's easier, but it takes months not weeks to drastically drop the
times.

32km is a fair way. No idea if it's got much in the way of hills, i
do 20 and I'm better than I was but halve the time? no way.

Maybe if he wasn't on some great heavy 'bent?
An average roady doing a couple of rides a week cruises at 25-30km/h on
the flat after a couple of months of riding.

Yeah, but what commutes are truly flat?

I considered it a very good day in Melbourne to get an average of
30km/h -- I only did it about 3 times (vs my 41km/h average a week or
two ago, but I wuz cheatin').

12km/h is definitely slow for a first ride, but Patrick is implying
that anyone should be able to do 24km/h. I was as almost as fit as I
ever was when I had my orange and purple monstrosity. On my mildly up
and down route to Hawthorn from Chadstone, I'd usually only be
averaging around 24km/h -- and that was with the twice daily 10km/h,
every day of the working year.

Implying anyone is crap because they can't ride 24km/h after a few
months is s surefire way of making them tell you to **** off as they
get back into their car.

--
TimC
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike.
Old October 31st 06, 12:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2006-10-31, Bleve (aka Bruce)
Tamyka Bell wrote:
That's what I've got! But 16km just feels too short. I mean,
is it really worth breaking a sweat for such a short ride?

16km is mighty hard if you do it in E3 or higher. Intervals Tam ...

Not if it's mostly downhill. Then 28km in E3 is quite manageable, as
you get a rush of keep on going and going and going and going.

--
TimC
Did you know that in German, Usenet bulletin boards are called
Old October 31st 06, 07:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

TimC wrote:
Implying anyone is crap because they can't ride 24km/h after a few
months is s surefire way of making them tell you to **** off as they
get back into their car.

Naaaah, if they are that thin-skinned, they are just looking for an
excuse. They either want to ride for good reasons, or they don't.

Donga

Old October 31st 06, 07:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 31 Oct 2006 04:03:07 -0800
Bleve wrote:
Maybe if he wasn't on some great heavy 'bent?
An average roady doing a couple of rides a week cruises at 25-30km/h on
the flat after a couple of months of riding.

I cruise at that on the flat, and did fairly early on, on my 32lb
bent.

BUt my comnute isn't flat, not by a long chalk. And you may have dead
flat commutes in Melbourne, we don't in Sydney and I dunno they do in
Brisbane.

Zebee
Old October 31st 06, 07:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 31 Oct 2006 11:17:36 -0800
Donga wrote:

TimC wrote:
Implying anyone is crap because they can't ride 24km/h after a few
months is s surefire way of making them tell you to **** off as they
get back into their car.

Naaaah, if they are that thin-skinned, they are just looking for an
excuse. They either want to ride for good reasons, or they don't.

So, you want people to learn to push through the first difficulties
and ride a bike, or you want them to say "bike riders are pricks and
full of themselves"?

Zebee

Lars Clausen on Evening Magazine john_childs Unicycling 3 August 31st 05 10:12 PM
Great Money Making Opportunity gh General 0 March 24th 05 03:55 AM
Old Magazine Article - American Racers in Europe RWM Racing 0 May 4th 04 10:10 PM
mUni article in Charlotte Magazine (Charlotte, NC) zod Unicycling 5 February 5th 04 11:54 AM
MUNI article in a French Mountain Bike magazine fme Unicycling 14 January 14th 04 09:45 PM