The Four Horsemen

Old November 10th 13, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default The Four Horsemen

Sir Ridesalot writes:

On Friday, November 8, 2013 8:46:16 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:
Rules of the Road.

This is of course a huge, sprawling topic, of utmost importance to many

(most) independent travelers; but my coverage here will be short.

The Rules of the Road greatly affect Situational Awareness, because it

*strongly* influences what other road users are *apt* to do. It does

not constrain what is possible, but it heavily drives probability. (The

SA rider still needs to pay attention - to get inside the head of others

and consider how "ruled" they are by the Rules.)

The Rules of the Road - in The United States of America, at least - are

almost entirely geared for automobile traffic, so they are often the

proverbial round hole for the square peg of a bicyclist. But wait! The

Rules of the Road (pretty much) *only* apply to the road, which it but a

very small part of the bicyclist's landscape :-)

Golly I guess that's about all I have to say about this (for now),

except that (and we'll get into this with the other closely related

Horseman, Social Interaction) certain unwritten fundamental rules are

always in effect.

I believe it was Quakers who when building wooden ships used square
pegs in round holes because that stopped the peg from twisting loose
in use. So, sometimes even a square peg in a round hole is useful.

Not just Quakers, surely. Treenails were standard practice. I have
read that the non-native black locust trees in my area were originally
introduced to provide treenail stock.

Here are some pictures and video:

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-s...ood/treenails/

Cheers

Old November 11th 13, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:50:58 PM UTC-5, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot writes:

I believe it was Quakers who when building wooden ships used square
pegs in round holes because that stopped the peg from twisting loose
in use. So, sometimes even a square peg in a round hole is useful.

Not just Quakers, surely. Treenails were standard practice. I have
read that the non-native black locust trees in my area were originally
introduced to provide treenail stock.

Here are some pictures and video:

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-s...ood/treenails/

Those certainly look round to me.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 13, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 18:50:58 -0500, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

But Treenails are not square pegs in round holes nor were their use
restricted to Quakers :-)

In fact wooden pegs were commonly used in most kinds of wood working,
back in the day. My Granddad's barn was built (in the late 1700's)
with the posts and beams joined with mortise and tenon joints that
were pegged together with what might be called treenails.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 11th 13, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:55:46 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

In fact wooden pegs were commonly used in most kinds of wood working,
back in the day. My Granddad's barn was built (in the late 1700's)
with the posts and beams joined with mortise and tenon joints that
were pegged together with what might be called treenails.

My brother's house and barn were built the same way, back in 1840 or so. When we super-insulated the house, we tore back to the framing. It was quite interesting to see the ancient handwork.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 11th 13, 11:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 19:12:39 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:55:46 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

In fact wooden pegs were commonly used in most kinds of wood working,
back in the day. My Granddad's barn was built (in the late 1700's)
with the posts and beams joined with mortise and tenon joints that
were pegged together with what might be called treenails.

My brother's house and barn were built the same way, back in 1840 or so. When we super-insulated the house, we tore back to the framing. It was quite interesting to see the ancient handwork.

- Frank Krygowski

In my youth I worked a summer for the Vermont Forest Service and for
several weeks we re-shingled the barn roof on the Calvin Coolidge
Homestead. We replaced the original cedar shake roof and the nails
that we took out of the old shingles were hand forged - you could see
the hammer marks on the shank of the nails. We, being viral young men
were more interested ion the girl's camp on the lake then in history
so threw the old nails and scraps of old shingles in the trash but
I've often wondered since whether those hand forged square nails had a
value :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 11th 13, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Three-Roma...em5add49 f682

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 11th 13, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Sir Ridesalot writes:

I believe it was Quakers who when building wooden ships used square
pegs in round holes because that stopped the peg from twisting loose
in use. So, sometimes even a square peg in a round hole is useful.

Not just Quakers, surely. Treenails were standard practice. I have
read that the non-native black locust trees in my area were originally
introduced to provide treenail stock.

Here are some pictures and video:

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-s...ood/treenails/

Those certainly look round to me.

The head ends are left square, and the corners are driven into whatever
is being fastened. I would be amazed if Quakers or anyone else drove
full-length square pegs into round holes.

Old November 11th 13, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

Treenails have square heads, which are driven into the beam that is
being fastened. They are not simply round pegs, which are very much
still in used (I used a few last week).

Old November 12th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Actually "my" nails were far better looking then those Italian nails
:-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 12th 13, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Sir Ridesalot writes:

I believe it was Quakers who when building wooden ships used square
pegs in round holes because that stopped the peg from twisting loose
in use. So, sometimes even a square peg in a round hole is useful.

Not just Quakers, surely. Treenails were standard practice. I have
read that the non-native black locust trees in my area were originally
introduced to provide treenail stock.

Here are some pictures and video:

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-s...ood/treenails/

Those certainly look round to me.

The head ends are left square, and the corners are driven into whatever
is being fastened. I would be amazed if Quakers or anyone else drove
full-length square pegs into round holes.

Why in the world would one want to leave a square head on a round peg.
Beside I don't think that you are envisioning just how treenails were
installed... The ends of the treenail were slotted and after driving
into place wedges were driven into the end of the treenail to lock it
in place.

--
Cheers,

John B.