Senior Olympics

Old August 13th 04, 11:13 PM
Floyd L. Davidson

Default Senior Olympics

"Child" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
Her big problem was with the selection of locations! First, she
lives in Los Anchorage, where they grow palm trees and Texans.
(The Texans make up for a lack of coconuts on the palm trees.)
It's just *not* suitable for human habitation! Second, she
visits Nome of all places. She clearly waited too long (folks
don't do anything in Nome that doesn't lead to divorce), and
should have visited there *before* she got hitched.

You should see the souveniers I got at the board of trade.

I've seen a few "souvenirs" collected in the BOT. Course,
this was decades ago. No doubt it is not nearly the low life
dive that it was when I was young... ;-)

Funniest one was a big scruffy looking fellow sitting at the bar
right next to the door, who took a shine to the nice parkas that
Alaska Airlines equipped all of their tourists with. So when
this group of folks that looked to perhaps be school teachers
came in, he decided to get himself a parka. As they left, when
the last young school marm was going out the door, he reached
out and took hold of the bottom back side of that parka. Now,
this was a nice sweet looking lady who no doubt polished behind
her ears every day. And the fellow was not. So when she took
another step and that parka got tight, she turned around to see
what the problem was, and when she saw the problem, it let out a
deep rumble from low in its gut, more or less signaling
approval. She exited the parka, and the BOT, and ran
screaming into the night.

And so it came to be that she had the ideal souvenir, and I'm
sure that today there is some old maid school teacher somewhere
in New England who still tells about fighting off the biggest,
ugliest, smelliest sourdough in Nome Alaska who was intent on
having his way with sweet little ol' her, right there in public.

That was back in the 60's when there were *boardwalks* on Front
Street in Nome. But they took them out in the 70's. Nome was
never the same since. But I was there in the 80's too. The
bartender had a special flashlight. It was made from two of
those big ones with 5 or six C cells, so this thing was *huge*
and threw a spot of light normally seen only on a stage
production.

But that was the problem! Because this big light was meant to
put a stop to disgusting things happening in dark corners by
throwing a lot of light on the member, err... subject. But it
seems some of the performers found being in the spot light an
exhilarating experience, and rather than stop they'd become even
more animated. Something of an animal instinct, I guess.

Nome's a nice place to visit, but really... it's just another
Whiteman's town.

Its pretty integrated, yes. I actually thought it was nice to see a
harmoniously integrated town.

In all seriousness, it has not been that harmonious. More like
the usual case where White guys have no respect for non-white
Natives.

Nome began as a mining camp of course. And a few Eskimos
settled near by. When one outfit decided they wanted to dig for
gold right under the homes of the Eskimos, they did exactly
that, and without warning. In the process one man was
essentially killed (he caught pneumonia due to exposure when his
house collapsed as these jerks dug a tunnel under it), and
several lost everything they owned. Later it was a segregated
town, where Eskimos were not allowed to reside in the white part
of town. And even into the late 1950's they had things like a
"White Only" theater (which brought on considerable wrath when
that fact became known in other parts of Alaska).

It has only been since 1972, and the Alaska Native Claims
Settlement Act, that Natives have had much of any political
influence in Nome. The whole attitude of the town is lily
white compared to Bethel, Kotzebue and Barrow.

Visit Bethel, Kotzebue or Barrow. Get farther away from the
Alaska State Legislature! Go to places where people actually
know how to live in the Arctic. Where they say, "My GOD, this
is a *wonderful* place!"

I am going to Bethel shortly!

If you are going to have any dealings with YKHC's administrative
offices, send me email and I'll give you some contacts.

that just about says it all. Do not even THINK about moving to Nome. Seattle
is your true home, not the frozen tundra of the North.

You realize that it *rains* in Seattle???? Yech!

Plus, and Beth probably won't understand this one yet, but the
fact is that south of the Alaska Range, the snow isn't crunchy.
If the snow don't crunch when you walk on it, go NORTH!

I once went to the slope on oil business. Perhaps someday the NS borough
will join the happy family of community health centers and I will get to
meet the famous Floyd, but until then the furthest north I get to go is
Bethel.

Village clinics are different here, because the Borough funded
them instead of the State, originally. Or something to that
effect. It is possible that the current status could change,
given the political and economic changes with the decline of oil
revenues. If at some point it becomes more advantageous to
structure health care here the way it is in other places, you
might end up visiting!

--
FloydL. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old August 13th 04, 11:47 PM
Floyd L. Davidson

"Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:

You've screwed your head on backwards this morning! Nobody
should have to suffer temperatures higher than 65F. We *dont't*
need to be sweaty all the time...

Did you not pay attention to what I said about us humans being tropical
animals. We are essentially naked apes. Now where do you suppose naked apes
could live other than the tropics?

Ellam Yua would not have provided caribou skins if man were
meant to live where you sweat!

Of course, your "God" perhaps didn't give you any caribou skins,
so you poor *******s have to stay where it's warm, eh? Buy a
new god, you'll suffer less.

However, the problem with the tropics is that they are also the home of
numerous pestiferous insects which carry diseases which can kill us without
have trying. I think the temperate climates are the best compromise.

Snakes too, and they (like a lot of those insects) also live in
"temperate" climates.

If Ireland were cooler, it'd be okay too, I guess, eh?

The Births Isles have a temperate climate (thanks to the Gulf Stream), but
it is overcast and quite rainy there much of the year. But still, it is
infinitely preferable to the far north - which is only fit for Eskimos and
polar bears.

The point was, there *ain't no snakes!* Which is worth almost as much
as being cool enough for humans... But, in the Arctic we have both, no
snakes and no heat. Wonderful!

Barrow is even more different, Eskimos flat do run the place,
totally. The North Slope Borough mayor has always been a
whaling captain, and the borough has always been run pretty much
the way a whaling crew is run. It's one of the things that
makes this a nice place to live (of course, oil taxes and the
lack of Texans is of some significance too).

Those Texans living in Alaska are only there for the money. They will get
the hell out of there once the jobs are gone. In the end, Alaska will be for
the Eskimos and Indians with Whites in a few of the larger cities like
Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Well, it's something like that right now. Except that it's Texans in
those larger cities.

(You farmers in Minnesota may have a hard time distinquishing
between Texans and pig farmers. That is the cause of much
confusion and embarassment. But I can provide the essential
clue to telling them apart at a glance! Easy. The pig farmers
have **** on the *outside* of their boots!)

Circumscribed existence??? Yeh! The problem with Minnesota is
that it 1) doesn't really get cold enough for long enough, and
2) you don't have any Eskimos!

There are no symphony concerts in Alaska that I am aware of. Also, not much

There are symphony concerts. I wouldn't bother with them, but
they do happen.

There is no Eskimo dancing in Minnesota. If people there don't
know about yuraq and the beat of Eskimo drums, they just aren't
really civilized.

at all in the way of high culture. Do you not know that man does not live by
bread alone - or should I say whale blubber?

Damned right. A little caribou sausage is needed too.

Heck, I was at a party the night before last, and they put on a
*fabulous* Korean dinner. One fellow explained to the cook that
he *really* liked one beef dish, because it tasted almost as
good as caribou nose. (Seriously, that really did happen!)

I need some high culture in my
life, not an eternal struggle for the bare essentials.

Even in Minnesota is should be possible to obtain a few caribou
skins. You too can get bare and experience more than just the
essentials!

I can't wait until October, myself. May and June usually aren't
too bad, but it hit 65F here half a dozen times in July and the
first week in August. One day it was even 70F. It's really
hard to handle. And September is the rainy season, so it might
be drizzling every other day for 3-4 weeks.

I like a good hard rain, not an eternal drizzle which is calculated to drive
a sane man insane.

I prefer a place where it hardly rains. Compared to a hard
rain, that is much better.

But thank goodness when the 1st of October arrives. Within a
week it will be frozen down, and all white and clean again.
From the first week in October until late next May, we won't
have any rain, we won't have any mudholes in the roads, we won't
track dirt into the house, and we won't have to sweat from
normal movement. And after November 18th we won't have to
squint with the sun in our eyes for 2 months.

Sounds god-awful!

But actual experience is perfectly god-wonderful.

Rain is a misery dumped on the unworthy! If I wanted to get
wet, I've got a shower. I try test it once a month too, just to
be sure it works in case I ever need it.

You obviously know nothing about deserts and how totally inhospitable they

You sir, are just another ignorant Southerner. I *live* in a
desert! We don't see *any* rain from October through May. The
total equivalent rainfall (this includes snow) is less than 5
inches per year!

(Not to mention that I lived in the Sonoran Desert for a few
years when I was a teenager. That's when I discovered that the
Seattle climate I'd grown up with, was so awful! But it was
only in my 20's that I discovered the whole secret: dry cold!)

are to mankind. You deserve to be condemned to live in the middle of the
Sahara Desert of North Africa for a few years to learn the value of rain.

Too damned hot there.

The problem is that you live in Mini-soter. It gets cold and
miserable there, but you have none of the real advantages.
Eskimos *are* wonderful things! You can learn so much from
them...

We have a lot of Germans and Scandinavians who settled in this god-forsaken
land, mainly because of the good prairie farming soil. The place probably
reminded the Scandinavians of their own poor homeland. Also, a few Irishmen
found their way here too. Farming land was the big draw. Why people are
living in huge cities here in Minnesota is a mystery to me.

That is one similarity between Alaska and Minnesota (seriously),
and is one reason there are many people from Minnesota and
Wisconsin who have moved to Alaska. Why anyone wants to live in
a big city in a northern climate is beyond me. Snow in the bush
is *wonderful*, and in a city is nothing but death and misery.

Old August 14th 04, 01:17 AM
Child

"Child" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message
Her big problem was with the selection of locations! First, she
lives in Los Anchorage, where they grow palm trees and Texans.
(The Texans make up for a lack of coconuts on the palm trees.)
It's just *not* suitable for human habitation! Second, she
visits Nome of all places. She clearly waited too long (folks
don't do anything in Nome that doesn't lead to divorce), and
should have visited there *before* she got hitched.

You should see the souveniers I got at the board of trade.

I've seen a few "souvenirs" collected in the BOT. Course,
this was decades ago. No doubt it is not nearly the low life
dive that it was when I was young... ;-)

It was only 6pm, but the bartender told me to come back later to check out
the real action. Unfortunately, I am too old and tired to stay up and get
the black van to the Dexter Roadhous.

And so it came to be that she had the ideal souvenir, and I'm
sure that today there is some old maid school teacher somewhere
in New England who still tells about fighting off the biggest,
ugliest, smelliest sourdough in Nome Alaska who was intent on
having his way with sweet little ol' her, right there in public.

LOL, think she is an old lady savoring the memories of Nome now?

[...]

Seeing as I was visiting NSHC, it certainly looked like a well integrated
place. But I will take your word for it.

Nome began as a mining camp of course. And a few Eskimos
settled near by. When one outfit decided they wanted to dig for
gold right under the homes of the Eskimos, they did exactly
that, and without warning. In the process one man was
essentially killed (he caught pneumonia due to exposure when his
house collapsed as these jerks dug a tunnel under it), and
several lost everything they owned. Later it was a segregated
town, where Eskimos were not allowed to reside in the white part
of town. And even into the late 1950's they had things like a
"White Only" theater (which brought on considerable wrath when
that fact became known in other parts of Alaska).

Unfortunately, there are many things that whites have done that we shouldn't
have. Luckily, we seem to be evolving.

It has only been since 1972, and the Alaska Native Claims
Settlement Act, that Natives have had much of any political
influence in Nome. The whole attitude of the town is lily
white compared to Bethel, Kotzebue and Barrow.

I didn't realize Bethel wasn't more similar to Nome, without the gold rush
culture.

Visit Bethel, Kotzebue or Barrow. Get farther away from the
Alaska State Legislature! Go to places where people actually
know how to live in the Arctic. Where they say, "My GOD, this
is a *wonderful* place!"

I am going to Bethel shortly!

If you are going to have any dealings with YKHC's administrative
offices, send me email and I'll give you some contacts.

For that visit I will be visiting Bethel Family Clinic, but I should also
make an effort to visit YK. Their medical director is on our board, and is
a wonderful guy.

I once went to the slope on oil business. Perhaps someday the NS borough
will join the happy family of community health centers and I will get to
meet the famous Floyd, but until then the furthest north I get to go is
Bethel.

Village clinics are different here, because the Borough funded
them instead of the State, originally. Or something to that
effect. It is possible that the current status could change,
given the political and economic changes with the decline of oil
revenues. If at some point it becomes more advantageous to
structure health care here the way it is in other places, you
might end up visiting!

And you can be sure I will be asking someone to look up Floyd for me.

Old August 14th 04, 02:15 AM
Floyd L. Davidson

"Child" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:
I've seen a few "souvenirs" collected in the BOT. Course,
this was decades ago. No doubt it is not nearly the low life
dive that it was when I was young... ;-)

It was only 6pm, but the bartender told me to come back later to check out
the real action. Unfortunately, I am too old and tired to stay up and get
the black van to the Dexter Roadhous.

I don't know what they do now, but Nome used to be pretty dead
in the summer. Everyone was out fishing or digging for gold.
In the winter the BOT would be active all week, but only on
weekends in the summer.

I was there for the 4th of July one year, and the BOT set up
outside and blocked off the street on either side so we could
dance in the street all night.

It has only been since 1972, and the Alaska Native Claims
Settlement Act, that Natives have had much of any political
influence in Nome. The whole attitude of the town is lily
white compared to Bethel, Kotzebue and Barrow.

I didn't realize Bethel wasn't more similar to Nome, without the gold rush
culture.

Oh, there's a really significant difference! It has become less
pronounced over the past couple decades, but it's still there.

I am going to Bethel shortly!

If you are going to have any dealings with YKHC's administrative
offices, send me email and I'll give you some contacts.

For that visit I will be visiting Bethel Family Clinic, but I should also
make an effort to visit YK. Their medical director is on our board, and is
a wonderful guy.

Ask for a tour of the admin building too. When you get there,
go all the way down to the very end of that long hallway, and
look for names on office doors that remind you of me. Knock on
that one and introduce yourself. Just say her daddy said you
deserved a tour of Bethel from a real tour guide. (The only
trouble is that she travels a lot, and is very busy. But if
she's there, it will be worth the trouble.)

revenues. If at some point it becomes more advantageous to
structure health care here the way it is in other places, you
might end up visiting!

And you can be sure I will be asking someone to look up Floyd for me.

I'm really hard to find! ;-) Drop by Sam & Lee's and ask. Or
stop at Pepe's and ask there, and they'll tell you where Sam &
Lee's is! (Those are, of course, the two best eating joints in
town.)

Old August 14th 04, 02:37 AM
Tom Sherman

Child wrote:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

There are no symphony concerts in Alaska that I am aware of. Also, not

much

at all in the way of high culture. Do you not know that man does not live

by

bread alone - or should I say whale blubber? I need some high culture in

my

life, not an eternal struggle for the bare essentials.

Guess again!
http://www.anchoragesymphony.org/

If that is the most important thing, then there is no place to live
other than northeastern Illinois.
http://www.cso.org/.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 14th 04, 02:40 AM
Tom Sherman

Child wrote:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

The problem with Alaska and all far northern places is that you are living
on the fringes of where humans can live. Please take note of the fact that
there are no great numbers of people living on the continent of

Antarctica -

and for good reason. You need to start thinking about "going south". That
"going north" business is strictly for the Eskimo and the polar bear.

For all you know, I AM a native alaskan.

I must have missed the portion of Exodus where the Children of Israel
were the first to occupy Alaska.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 14th 04, 05:17 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
The best professors I ever had at college admitted that they were

ignorant
about many things, even in their own fields of expertise. The worst
professors I ever had would never admit to not knowing all there was to

know
about something. I always thought those types were ridiculous.

No one is an expert about everything. Not even you!

Edward Dolan wrote in the immediately preceding message which Beth has
wrongly edited:

I own up to

my mistakes easily because I KNOW that everyone is making mistakes all the
time. It is part of the human condition.

You need to learn how to read more carefully instead of just fastening on
the concluding sentences of a post. My entire message was all about how
prone to error all of us are.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 14th 04, 05:21 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
There are no symphony concerts in Alaska that I am aware of. Also, not

much
at all in the way of high culture. Do you not know that man does not

live
by
bread alone - or should I say whale blubber? I need some high culture in

my
life, not an eternal struggle for the bare essentials.

Guess again!
http://www.anchoragesymphony.org/

But still, it is not quite Carnegie Hall in New York City, is it?

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 14th 04, 05:25 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Child wrote:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

There are no symphony concerts in Alaska that I am aware of. Also, not

much

at all in the way of high culture. Do you not know that man does not

live

by

bread alone - or should I say whale blubber? I need some high culture in

my

life, not an eternal struggle for the bare essentials.

Guess again!
http://www.anchoragesymphony.org/

If that is the most important thing, then there is no place to live
other than northeastern Illinois.
http://www.cso.org/.

New York City remains the cultural and performing arts capital of this
country. Poor little old Chicago can't compare.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 14th 04, 05:50 AM
Edward Dolan

"Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Floyd L. Davidson" wrote:

You've screwed your head on backwards this morning! Nobody
should have to suffer temperatures higher than 65F. We *dont't*
need to be sweaty all the time...

Did you not pay attention to what I said about us humans being tropical
animals. We are essentially naked apes. Now where do you suppose naked

apes
could live other than the tropics?

Ellam Yua would not have provided caribou skins if man were
meant to live where you sweat!

Of course, your "God" perhaps didn't give you any caribou skins,
so you poor *******s have to stay where it's warm, eh? Buy a
new god, you'll suffer less.

Did you not pay attention to what I said about us humans being tropical
animals. We are essentially naked apes. Now where do you suppose naked apes
could live other than the tropics? (Repetition is the basis of all
learning.)

However, the problem with the tropics is that they are also the home

of
numerous pestiferous insects which carry diseases which can kill us

without
have trying. I think the temperate climates are the best compromise.

Snakes too, and they (like a lot of those insects) also live in
"temperate" climates.

If Ireland were cooler, it'd be okay too, I guess, eh?

The British Isles have a temperate climate (thanks to the Gulf Stream),

[...]

You are thinking of Iowa, but that is OK. The rest of the country does not
expect Alaskans to know anything outside their own miserable state.

Circumscribed existence??? Yeh! The problem with Minnesota is
that it 1) doesn't really get cold enough for long enough, and
2) you don't have any Eskimos!

There are no symphony concerts in Alaska that I am aware of. Also, not

much

There are symphony concerts. I wouldn't bother with them, but
they do happen.

You should bother with them instead of going on and on about the Eskimo way
of life. I assure you that that life has absolutely no appeal for 99.99% of
mankind.

[...]

From the first week in October until late next May, we won't
have any rain, we won't have any mudholes in the roads, we won't
track dirt into the house, and we won't have to sweat from
normal movement. And after November 18th we won't have to
squint with the sun in our eyes for 2 months.

Sounds god-awful!

But actual experience is perfectly god-wonderful.

Only for benighted souls such as yourself who do not know any better.

Rain is a misery dumped on the unworthy! If I wanted to get
wet, I've got a shower. I try test it once a month too, just to
be sure it works in case I ever need it.

You obviously know nothing about deserts and how totally inhospitable

they

You sir, are just another ignorant Southerner. I *live* in a
desert! We don't see *any* rain from October through May. The
total equivalent rainfall (this includes snow) is less than 5
inches per year!

Yes, I am well aware that the polar regions are essentially deserts. Just
another reason why there are not millions of people living there (besides
the eternal cold of course). I mean, who wants to spend all their time just
melting snow so you can have some water to drink and not die of thirst.

[...]

Snow is a misery where ever it is located. Do you not know that people die
of the snow and cold. Read about the Donner party sometime, why don't you.
They ended up eating each other. No caribou sausage around for them!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota