DfT 'cycle facility' consultation. Last Chance to respond!

Old August 9th 04, 02:44 PM
Howard

Default DfT 'cycle facility' consultation. Last Chance to respond!

Hi Folks,

You may recall that the DfT is doing some consultation regarding LTN
1/04 Policy, Planning and Design for Walking and Cycling and LTN 2/04
Adjacent and Shared Use Facilities for Pedestrians and Cyclists. See

http://tinyurl.com/5gn6m

The consultation period closes on 13th August, so if you wanted to
comment it needs to be done this week. For anyone interested my own
response is available at
http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/downlo...le-WalkLTN.pdf

It is worth passing comment on 1/04 as it gives advice to local
authorities on the use of 'pinch points', the creation of road side
'cycle paths' and so on!

Regards,

Howard.
Old August 9th 04, 08:53 PM
burt

Howard,

a masterful summation of all the arguments, congratulations and thank you
for posting. I will plagarise shamelessly!

Long time no see: how you doing? I think the last time I saw you was when
you produced a birthday cake at the CTC Rights Committee, some years ago.

cheers

Rich Burton

om...

Old August 10th 04, 08:48 AM
Howard

"burt" wrote in message

Long time no see: how you doing? I think the last time I saw you was when
you produced a birthday cake at the CTC Rights Committee, some years ago.

cheers

Rich Burton

Sorry,

Whoever that was, it wasn't me!

Howard.
Old August 11th 04, 10:17 AM
Colin McKenzie

Howard wrote:

It is worth passing comment on 1/04 as it gives advice to local
authorities on the use of 'pinch points', the creation of road side
'cycle paths' and so on!

Interested in your comment about speed cushions on the approach to
pinch points rather than at them. Any particular reason?

I am scratching my head over what to do about a couple of 3m ones near
me. I probably won't be able to remove them because of pedestrians.
The road in question is 30 limit, slopes, and has frequent white van
traffic and some HGVs.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

Old August 11th 04, 05:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Colin
McKenzie ') wrote:

Howard wrote:

It is worth passing comment on 1/04 as it gives advice to local
authorities on the use of 'pinch points', the creation of road side
'cycle paths' and so on!

Interested in your comment about speed cushions on the approach to
pinch points rather than at them. Any particular reason?

I am scratching my head over what to do about a couple of 3m ones near
me. I probably won't be able to remove them because of pedestrians.
The road in question is 30 limit, slopes, and has frequent white van
traffic and some HGVs.

Chicanes with good strong bollards will stop the HGVs - unless they are
actually needed to make deliveries. And just putting really strong
bollards across the road at 2.4m centres will slow traffic down
wonderfully, particularly if you slightly stagger every second row.

Or get the gas company to dig random three metre by three metre by three
metre deep holes in the road and just forget to fill them in again.

;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003
Old August 11th 04, 07:47 PM
Howard

Colin McKenzie wrote in message

Interested in your comment about speed cushions on the approach to
pinch points rather than at them. Any particular reason?

I am scratching my head over what to do about a couple of 3m ones near
me. I probably won't be able to remove them because of pedestrians.
The road in question is 30 limit, slopes, and has frequent white van
traffic and some HGVs.

Colin McKenzie

Hi Colin,

The idea of having speed cushions on the approach to a 'pinch point is
that the driver who waits behind a cyclist (as they should) is able to
'straddle' the cushion. The driver who attempts to overtake just
before the island and pull in front of the cyclist will have to run
over the centre of the cushion in order to do so, and so some drivers
may be deterred from attempting to overtake.

If a central island serves pedestrians why not replace it with a
proper pedestrian facility such as a 'Zebra' or signal controlled
crossing? These serve the needs of pedestrian much better than an
island which are used largely to stop pedestrians 'interrupting' the
traffic flow. The 'user' hierarchy recommenced by the DfT places the
needs of pedestrian above that of motor vehicle users so providing a
proper crossing facility is only in line with best practice.

You could try to request that 'Do not overtake cyclist at traffic
island' signs be put up along with a 1.25m cycle lane marked in green.
Drivers will still attempt to overtake but if one hits you such
markings would make it much easier to take action against them in
court.

See http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebik...nchpoints.html

Regards,

Howard.
Old August 11th 04, 08:32 PM
Andy Leighton

On 11 Aug 2004 11:47:04 -0700, Howard wrote:
If a central island serves pedestrians why not replace it with a
proper pedestrian facility such as a 'Zebra'

Near us we have a zebra with a central island on a single carriageway
road. 200 yards down the road is a lights crossing. 200 yards the
other way is a zebra with no island, 20 yards after that is a mini-
roundabout.

Nothing like consistency.

--
Andy Leighton =