newbie's road bike questions

Old May 6th 05, 05:27 AM
Jim

I do like the road bike-style handle bars; they provide multiple
possible hand positions and are less tiring. A hybrid bike rides like a
mountain bike, except the wheels and tires are different, I presume.

-Jim

Old May 6th 05, 05:34 AM
Werehatrack

On 5 May 2005 21:27:02 -0700, "Jim" wrote:

I do like the road bike-style handle bars; they provide multiple
possible hand positions and are less tiring.

The latter is true for some people, but not for all.

A hybrid bike rides like a
mountain bike, except the wheels and tires are different, I presume.

Pretty much, and if you want to have multiple hand positions, there
are additional options including the same bar ends that are common on
mountain bikes.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old May 6th 05, 05:41 AM
Jim Smith

"Jim" writes:

On the Trek Web site, the 520 touring bike and the XO 1 cyclocross bike
are categorized under specialty bikes, separate from road bikes. They
both look like road bikes, the XO 1 more so with a 46/38 crank set and
12-26 cassette instead of the 520's 52/42/30 and 12-32 (many gaps, more
like a mountain bike-style cassette). I would not be using the
32-tooth gear, but I would be missing the closely spaced gear ratios.

For reference, the 1000 road bike is set up as 52/42/30 and 12-26, and
so
is the 1000C "comfort" road bike.

On the Cannondale Web site, the T800 touring bike is equipped with a
48/36/26 crank set and a 12-34 cassette, and the Cyclocross bike, 46/38
and
12-26.

I like the cyclocrosses. What do you think?

Fenders are good to have on a commuter. Whatever bike I got I would
make sure it had room for, and a way to mount, fenders. Shouldn't be a
problem with either of the two bikes you mention, just thought I would
throw that out there.

Old May 6th 05, 06:40 AM
Dan Lenski

On the Trek Web site, the 520 touring bike and the XO 1 cyclocross
bike
are categorized under specialty bikes, separate from road bikes.

They
both look like road bikes, the XO 1 more so with a 46/38 crank set

and
12-26 cassette instead of the 520's 52/42/30 and 12-32 (many gaps,

more
like a mountain bike-style cassette). I would not be using the
32-tooth gear, but I would be missing the closely spaced gear ratios.

I prefer closely spaced gears too. I have an 11-23 cassette on my
homebuilt touring bike (sounds ridiculous, I know). It's very nicely
spaced for commuting. If I lived in a hillier area, I'd probabtly want
that wider range cassette.

If you want a narrower cassette, your dealer will probably be happy to
swap you one for free or low cost when you buy the bike.

I suggest a triple crank for commuting. You'll appreciate those low
gears on your way home after a long day of work, if you have any hills
at all.

I like the cyclocrosses. What do you think?

I like my touring bike, because someday soon I hope to actually do a
tour on it and so I am happy to have the extra braze-ons. I also like
steel frames and bar end shifters. But these are my personal
preferences only. Whichever you prefer, touring and cyclocross frames
are pretty similar (except for some of the high end 'cross which have
disc brakes and short chainstays and stuff). If you get a cross bike,
check that your frame has eyelets for mounting rack and fenders (most
do, but not all).

Another bike you might want to check out is the Bianchi Volpe,
http://bianchiusa.com/570.html
It's billed as "Cyclo-cross/Touring Bike", it's steel with all-terrain
32 mm tires, and has STI shifters. My coworker rides one and loves it.

Dan

Old May 6th 05, 06:57 AM
Jim

What do you think of the idea of having a rain bike? A mountain bike
with fenders. Then there is no need for the road bike to be
fender-friendly. And when you switch from the mountain bike to the
road bike, you would appreciate how light the road bike is.

-Jim

Old May 6th 05, 07:06 AM
Dan Lenski

I have a beater fixed gear for rain and snow and leaving locked up (and
just for variety in general).

My sporty road bike doesn't have room for fenders, but then again with
its 25 mm tires, twitchy steering, and leaning-forward body position
it's not very comfortable for commuting, especially while wearing a
backpack. I think that pretty much any road bike that is comfortable
enough to ride for commuting would have room for fenders though anyway.

For keeping the road bike in top shape, a rain bike of any kind is a
good idea. I'd use my mountain bike for this if it hadn't been stolen.

Old May 6th 05, 09:52 AM
Mee Too

"Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings,

I've been riding mountain bikes and would like to try road bikes for
commuting. Road bikes (mostly the narrow rims and the few spokes on
some models) look flimsy to me -- is my impression right? Some bikes
(with the maountain bike-style brakes) can accomodate wider tires --
does it mean the rims are wider and more
tolerant of abuse? I try to minimize the maintenance.

I intend to ride in a more up-right position than those racers.
Would I look dorky when I meantion this to the salesperson doing the
fitting?

-Jim

I was recently in the same position as you are today. I was heavy into
mountain biking, and wanted something for the road/commuting area. I checked
out every LBS in my area, and there are many! I finally settled on a hybrid.
The Kona Dew Deluxe. It has a very comfortable ride, feels alot like by
mountain bike, but has a wheel that didn't feel 'Fragile' to me either, and
with the 700 x32 size wheels, and disk brakes, this thing seems to fly in
comparison to the mountain bike. I also like the granny gear on the rear for
climbing steep hills. Soon after my purchase, I added bar ends to the
straight handle bar for more grip options, and is great to use when grinding
up any steep hills. My ride at the end of the day consists of a 2 mile
12-15% grade that is not the easiest ride after working 10 hours on my feet.
Check them out at http://www.konaworld.com

Old May 6th 05, 10:01 AM
Stephen Harding

Claire Petersky wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

I am no wrench and also try to minimize the maintenance. But having narrower
tires does not mean that the bike is flimsier -- less stable, maybe. Wider
tires are more sluggish, though. I use 28" tires for commuting, which are
plenty fat.

A 28" tire is indeed "plenty fat" on a bicycle.

Guess we'll have to start calling you "Claire Bigfoot".

Do you squash rows of parked bikes at bike racks?

SMH

Old May 6th 05, 01:23 PM
JP

"Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Greetings,

I've been riding mountain bikes and would like to try road bikes for
commuting. Road bikes (mostly the narrow rims and the few spokes on
some models) look flimsy to me -- is my impression right? Some bikes
(with the maountain bike-style brakes) can accomodate wider tires --
does it mean the rims are wider and more
tolerant of abuse? I try to minimize the maintenance.

I intend to ride in a more up-right position than those racers.
Would I look dorky when I meantion this to the salesperson doing the
fitting?

-Jim

Me too. One bike, an FS MTB, but trails are a 45 minute drive and
though I enjoy much discretionary time I can't get there every day.
And while the MTB sails over roots and ravines it drags on pavement
which reduced the enjoyment on the days I sailed down the driveway
onto the street.

So I got a road bike and in comparison it seems flimsy as hell.
And the tires, I couldn't believe a 32mm would be adequate after
riding 2 1/2". Forget about 28 and below.

It's not flimsy, it survives bumps and jolts and minor potholes,
it moves a lot faster, and the drops give lots of hand options.
My first ride was a lot further than I intended simply because it
was easier and faster than I expected. My inattention to the road surface
(being used to fat tires) meant I plonked through stuff I should have
avoided
but no pinch flats, no damage, no harm no foul. I'd even try a narrower
tire
when I wear these out.

good luck

JP

Old May 6th 05, 02:52 PM
Pat Lamb

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2005 18:00:22 -0700, Jim wrote:

I intend to ride in a more up-right position than those racers. Would I
look dorky when I meantion this to the salesperson doing the fitting?

Mention it. If he/she reacts like you're a dork, head for the door. Find
another shop.

Abso-durn-lutely! If you feel like you need some cover, mutter
something like "Well, I guess I'll just stick with what I have," as you
rapidly shuffle out. It's your money, not their's, and you should be
able to get what you want for it.

Pat