Average speeds

Old October 6th 05, 10:06 PM
Martin

Default Average speeds

What do you class as a moderate speed on a road bike.

I am talking a 50 k ride with mostly road, and some bike paths.

I most of the time do it on my own, but when I am with some friends my
average speed picks up a few k's which I think is normal.
But the question is what do you call a moderate speed.
My average is around the 23k an hour over a 50 to 80 k ride, whilst I think
this is slow, I feel like I am really going for it.

Old October 6th 05, 10:53 PM
blah

I'd estimate those averages up a little. 30-33kph over 50km puts me
firmly in the A if we're talking flat riding (Beach road, perhaps), and
that's solo. I know there are _lots_ of riders above me, so there must
be a couple of levels above that. I know the averages were for a
'ride', but plenty of rides go hard. Maybe add an "A+" and "A++" to the
list.

Old October 6th 05, 11:01 PM
HellenWheels

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:06:48 +1000, "Martin" wrote:

What do you class as a moderate speed on a road bike.

I am talking a 50 k ride with mostly road, and some bike paths.

I most of the time do it on my own, but when I am with some friends my
average speed picks up a few k's which I think is normal.
But the question is what do you call a moderate speed.
My average is around the 23k an hour over a 50 to 80 k ride, whilst I think
this is slow, I feel like I am really going for it.

Depends a lot on experience, years of training, and terrain.

Take a look at the speeds suggested for Class A, B and C group rides.
A = 30 to 33 km/hr (with very few stops),
B = 25 to 29 km/hr,
C = 21 to 24 km/hr, and
D = 16 to 19 km/hr (with plenty of stops).

....this varies by terrain, these rides are on flat routes, distance about
50k.

-Wheels

Old October 6th 05, 11:27 PM
HellenWheels

On 6 Oct 2005 14:53:17 -0700, "blah" wrote:

I'd estimate those averages up a little. 30-33kph over 50km puts me
firmly in the A if we're talking flat riding (Beach road, perhaps), and
that's solo. I know there are _lots_ of riders above me, so there must
be a couple of levels above that. I know the averages were for a
'ride', but plenty of rides go hard. Maybe add an "A+" and "A++" to the
list.

That was just the first search I found looking for rides in my local beach
town. If you pull up ten groups there will be 10 different suggested
speeds.

If you can ride an average of 33km/hr for 50k, you can hang with most "A"
groups. In the masters category, my understanding is that 38km/hr wins some
ITT races. ymmv.

-Wheels

Old October 7th 05, 12:04 AM
Paulie-AU

I average over 30 on a 50km commute with my bag. It is reasonably flat
with one little pinch. There is a little bit of bikeway (corro drive)
in there also.

On a weekend I am racing crits (Brisbane) in Cat 2. ( C Grade?) and
staying up near the front and am able to go with majority of surges
comfortably. I want to move up to Cat 1 but think I could struggle a
little. (soon is the plan)

Dont know about the speed for social group rides though.

--
Paulie-AU

Old October 7th 05, 12:44 AM
peterlip

Martin Wrote:
What do you class as a moderate speed on a road bike.

I am talking a 50 k ride with mostly road, and some bike paths.

I most of the time do it on my own, but when I am with some friends my
average speed picks up a few k's which I think is normal.
But the question is what do you call a moderate speed.
My average is around the 23k an hour over a 50 to 80 k ride, whilst I
think
this is slow, I feel like I am really going for it.Depends on how many interruptions you have. I'll do a 90 km Beach Rd run

which is pretty good run in terms of not having to stop often, and
average around 30km/h. My 10km commute, some of which is bike path,
where I have to slow for pedestrians, traffic lights, crossings, etc..,
I usually average 23-27km/h, and I definitely don't take it easy. Some
sections I sit at 40km/h watching my average go up and up, just to see
it all disappear when I get to a crossing. Averages can be misleading,
especially if hills are involved. You'll never get back downhill what
you lose uphill.

--
peterlip

Old October 7th 05, 01:03 AM
adam85

Paulie-AU Wrote:
I average over 30 on a 50km commute with my bag. It is reasonably flat
with one little pinch. There is a little bit of bikeway (corro drive)
in there also.

On a weekend I am racing crits (Brisbane) in Cat 2. ( C Grade?) and
staying up near the front and am able to go with majority of surges
comfortably. I want to move up to Cat 1 but think I could struggle a
little. (soon is the plan)

Dont know about the speed for social group rides though.

An average of 30 is pretty good for 50km where you have to stop and
start a bit or slow down for bike paths. That make a big difference to
ave speeds.

Bunch rides here in Brissy range from 30kph to 40kph average speeds.
The faster rides normally have a section where the speed really kicks
up and the group gets strung out, then they regroup.

For time trialing at club level at distances of around 40km, an ave
speed of 40kph is very good.

Martin, 23 isn't that bad, it's all relative, just keep raising the
target little by little. Some sort of structured training & recovery
really helps if you want to get faster.

Hey Paul, if you want to try Cat1 tomorrow, I was thinking of going out
so we could ride together. I reckon you'd be OK.

Adam

--
adam85

Old October 8th 05, 06:15 AM
Spider1977

My diary tells me I average a tad over 28kph for the year. That
includes every ride I do, because I enter them religiously from my bike
computer. In races, I ride vets Div3 and 4, my average speed is 33kph
if I get dropped and about 35kph if I have a good race and finish in
the bunch sprint. The Div 1 guys can maintain an average in the high
30's for most of our rides which are hilly.

If I go in bunch rides the average is usually about 30 or a bit more.
The fast guys wait at the top of hills for us old blokes to catch up!
Some of them even come back down the hill and ride up a second time
with us - oh to be young and fit.

--
Spider1977

Advice to get my average up?? Hell and High Water General 83 October 24th 05 05:03 PM
What's average speed? Sid General 13 June 14th 05 03:59 PM
Cycling Computer w/On-Off Average? Bill Sornson Mountain Biking 10 April 27th 05 10:59 AM
My average speed lenny Australia 7 March 28th 05 12:43 AM
Le Tour Speeds Tom Australia 3 January 8th 04 02:52 PM