Cycle clips and UPDs

Old February 29th 04, 07:39 PM
Uni

Default Cycle clips and UPDs

Hi all,

I'd like to know whether unicyclists commonly wear cycle clips. I tuck in
my shoelaces, but I don't wear cycle clips with long trousers. What is the
likelihood of snagging my trouser leg and doing a UPD?

Any advice is appreciated.

Old February 29th 04, 07:51 PM
tortoise

Well, have you ever caught your pants and fallen? That seems like it'd
answer your question. I catch my pants on my coker all the time. I
usually just tuck them into my socks. I look like a complete fool but
I'm no longer falling. I suppose I should get some of those wrap things.

--
tortoise
tortoise's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/929

Old February 29th 04, 08:09 PM
unicycleboy

I dont use clips because ive never got my trousers caught in the pedals
or cranks. The clips are helpfull on a bike because of the chain.

Trev

--
unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...k/NewSig2.jpg]
And no im NOT a juggler :P

unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

Old February 29th 04, 11:00 PM
Rayden

Riders use them to keep their pants from getting grease on right pant
leg. When i ride and its cold i only use on on my right leg. (on a
bike). When i ride my unicycle occasionally my pant legs rubs on the
tire, not too much so I don't worry about it. I can't imagine your pants
getting caught in the spokes or the crank. Unless you have some really
stupid huge pants on.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old February 29th 04, 11:10 PM
Uni

Thank to all who have replied so far.

In answer to tortoise, I *think* I caught my pants once, but the UPD
happened so quickly that I wasn't sure exactly what caused it. It wasn't my
shoelaces, because they were tucked in. At any rate, I don't want to base
my decisions on whether to use safety equipment solely on my personal
experience. I've never hit my head or fractured my wrist (thank God), but
that doesn't necessarily mean that I've ruled out using a helmet or wrist
guards.

I would appreciate other comments on cycle clips for unicyclists.

"tortoise" wrote in
message cyclist.com...

Old March 1st 04, 01:00 AM
Checkernuts

I would say if your that worried about it just roll your cuffs.

I personanlly have had my pants get caught once that caused me to fall
but normally when I ride I wear shorts and leg armor so it doesnt happen
often at all. If I was doing more commuting by uni I would think about
my pant selection a bit more than I do now but I dont think I would go
as far as getting clips to hold them back.

Mike

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801