RvV

Old April 6th 04, 11:29 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

Default RvV

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:19:58 GMT, h squared wrote:
strijkijzer.

my dictionary says flat iron, but is there more to it than that?

No that's it. http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/strijkijzers.mp3

if you live in belgium you know about the ronde van vlaanderen, same
way as if you live in the usa, you know about the superbowl. but she
said that soccer is still more popular than bike racing. )

Right. It's the same with speedskating and the Elfstedentocht in Holland
(oops, Friesland).
Old April 6th 04, 11:33 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 08:28:56 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:
Speaking of payoffs, was it just a bad translation or did Paolo Bettini
really say "I paid cash for that [the chase] in the last 20km"?

Probably Italian - Dutch - English. It's an expression in Dutch.
Old April 6th 04, 04:56 PM
h squared

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

No that's it. http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/strijkijzers.mp3

alright, i'm returning my "learn dutch in 3 months" tapes that i bought
7 years ago and demanding a full refund. all i got from that (besides
the proper names) was something about "three people" and i'm not even
sure of that. i heard "strijkijzer" at the very end, but only because i
knew to listen for it

if you live in belgium you know about the ronde van vlaanderen, same
way as if you live in the usa, you know about the superbowl. but she
said that soccer is still more popular than bike racing. )

Right. It's the same with speedskating and the Elfstedentocht in Holland
(oops, Friesland).

i had never realized. strange how something like that can happen, like
suddenly you think, "oh, when they said it was popular, they meant it
was popular!! now i get it..."

heather
have there been any elfstedentochts (elfstedentochten?) lately?
Old April 6th 04, 05:42 PM
Faster Bordello

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 08:28:56 +1200, Stewart Fleming wrote:

Speaking of payoffs, was it just a bad translation or did Paolo Bettini
really say "I paid cash for that [the chase] in the last 20km"?

Probably Italian - Dutch - English. It's an expression in Dutch.

Probably translate better to something like " I paid in big coin for
that chase.." ie. I dug deep and worked my ass off, and it hurt.
Old April 6th 04, 05:52 PM
Jeff Jones

"h squared" wrote in message

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

No that's it. http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/strijkijzers.mp3

alright, i'm returning my "learn dutch in 3 months" tapes that i bought
7 years ago and demanding a full refund. all i got from that (besides
the proper names) was something about "three people" and i'm not even
sure of that. i heard "strijkijzer" at the very end, but only because i
knew to listen for it

Very very rough:

Spruch is a fast man and in front of him there are three men riding: Tafi,
Wauters (and who's the third again?) Serpellini. To be honest, that's a shop
full of strijkijzers [flat irons]

Jeff (who often sprints like a strijkijzer)

Old April 6th 04, 05:53 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 15:56:07 GMT, h squared wrote:
alright, i'm returning my "learn dutch in 3 months" tapes that i bought
7 years ago and demanding a full refund.

Haha! I doubt it makes much difference for you, but a lot of Dutchmen
(northern, from "above the Moerdijk") would also claim not to have
understood a word. It's Flemish. But hey, it's not the Flemish of Jef
Braeckevelt, or Briek Schotte. Try
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/muur.html

have there been any elfstedentochts (elfstedentochten?) lately?

No, last three were in 1985, 1986 and 1997. (it's tochten).
Old April 6th 04, 06:13 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

It's Flemish.

OK, I had a listen again, and Uytterhoeven really speaks almost
accent-free Dutch. So it's not that :/
Old April 6th 04, 07:08 PM
h squared

Jeff Jones wrote:

Spruch is a fast man and in front of him there are three men riding: Tafi,
Wauters (and who's the third again?) Serpellini. To be honest, that's a shop
full of strijkijzers [flat irons]

Jeff (who often sprints like a strijkijzer)

lol, at the "een winkel", i kept hearing "enrico"...my brain sprints
like a strijkijzer sometimes.

thank you jeff.

hh,
Old April 6th 04, 10:16 PM
Amit

Sonarrat wrote in message ...
in article , Amit at
wrote on 4/5/04 11:07 AM:

h squared wrote in message
Jeff Jones wrote:

"Benjamin Weiner" wrote in message
steve robertson wrote:

Then Hoste handed Wesemann a gift by chasing down Bruylandts's
attack in the final km. Not sure why (perhaps rather chase down
a rival Belgian team, damn the consequences?) or why Wesemann
didn't react to Bruylandts right away (perhaps he sussed that
Hoste would go for rivalry reasons, or because Hoste had been
sitting on? Too complicated.) Chung, you really need to write
up that study of game theory in cycling.

I don't think it was rivalry. I think Hoste was feeling "fresh" and was also
relatively inexperienced in this sort of a situation. Wesemann was smarter,
although I think he still would have won had he chased down Bruylandts
himself.

i'm a terrible observer, but it looked to me like hoste did wait a bit
for wessemann to chase, but maybe when he didn't, hoste didn't want to
just give up his chance for a win. i don't see what bruylandts has to
complain about really.

You're still a better observer than Kunich.

Hoste was sitting on the whole way, not even soft pedalling through.
When Bruylandts pulled off Hoste actually pushed Bruylandts ahead of
him.

Was that what the slap on the hand was about? I was wondering.

After Bruylandts pulled off, Hoste left a gap behind Wesemann for him
to move into rather than moving up behind Wesemann. Hoste pushed
Bruylandts ahead of him and they had a little exchange. Hoste didn't
do any work after the Bosberg until Wesemann forced his hand when
Bruylandts attacked with a km to go.

even though hoste spent all day in front and then
chased him down, hoste still beat him (unless he just gave up trying
after hoste chased him down, but then he needs a spanking)

If you attack with a kilo to go and you can still sprint when you're
caught then you need to upgrade.

It takes something like 3 minutes to recharge one's ATP-PC system, which
provides about 3 seconds of explosive power... so for that matter, if you
can do this, you should probably consider being a multimillion-dollar guinea
pig for a doping company...

I could do this against sufficiently lame competition.

-Amit
Old April 7th 04, 07:34 AM
Amit

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Amit" wrote in message
om...
h squared wrote in message

i'm a terrible observer, but it looked to me like hoste did wait a bit
for wessemann to chase, but maybe when he didn't, hoste didn't want to
just give up his chance for a win. i don't see what bruylandts has to
complain about really.

You're still a better observer than Kunich.

Hoste was sitting on the whole way, not even soft pedalling through.
When Bruylandts pulled off Hoste actually pushed Bruylandts ahead of
him.

I have heard anyone here say anything about "the look" that Steffen gave
Hoste which clearly said, "I ain't chasing". Is that because you're all so
observant?

you typically make great leaps from viewing your tapes, which are
usually wrong, i don't know how you can say a look clearly says
anything. wesemann's lack of respose to Bruylandts' attack is pretty
clear.

view when Bruylandts attacks from the back, Hoste looks back when he
closes the gap to Bruylandts.

??