‘Tempting’ – Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle on stretching piano wire across road to target cyclists

Old May 26th 20, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default ‘Tempting’ – Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle on stretching piano wire across road to target cyclists

Another obese writer has a go at people slimmer and happier than him. Nick Ferrari, Adam Boulton, Ann Widdecombe, Nigel Farage and Godfrey Bloom at al..
QUOTE:
Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle has said in today’s edition of the newspaper (link is external) that he finds it “tempting” to stretch piano wire across the road to target cyclists – something that, as we reported last month (link is external), resulted in a man being injured when he was riding on a trail near Leeds with his son.

The column was published under the title, ‘The BBC is doing its job again. All it took was thousands of deaths and a useless cabinet’ – but it opened with Liddle’s anti-cyclist rant:

Every day it’s the same. Walk out of my front door with the dog to be swept aside, into a hedge, by a middle-class family from the city who think they’re all Bradley bloody Wiggins. Daddy and Piers, 11, in the peloton. Mummy bringing up the rear with little Poppy, 6, and Oliver, 4. All in Lycra, all with their energy drinks and fatuous expressions on their faces, expressions of self-righteousness and irreproachable virtue. This is a local lane for local people — go back to your tenements, I shout at them. My wife has persuaded me that, strictly speaking, it is against the law to tie piano wire at neck height across the road. Oh, but it’s tempting.

A reference to Halfords’ recent sales boom and “An entire nation that wants nothing more than … a bike with which to cause havoc in every country lane” in the second paragraph excepted, Liddle then moved on to the main point of his column, the “rebirth” of the BBC, where he was editor of the Today programme from 1998 to 2002, making the anti-cyclist rant look particularly gratuitous and out of context.

Moreover, it comes at a time when there have been a number of incidents since lockdown began of cyclists being targeted with drawing pins and tacks, pieces of wood studded with nails and, yes, wire stretched across paths – with police in West Yorkshire releasing pictures (see main image above, and the one below) and appealing for witnesses after one such trap resulted in a cyclist being injured when he rode into it.

Cyclist injured by wire stretched across West Yorkshire trail

It’s not the first time that Liddle, who also pens a column for The Spectator, where he is associate editor, has taken a swipe at cyclists in The Sunday Times.

In 2016, Cycling UK demanded an apology from the newspaper and the retraction of what it termed an “inflammatory and dangerous” article in which Liddle appeared to applaud Chris Grayling after the then transport secretary doored a cyclist while getting out of his ministerial car outside the Palace of Westminster.

Sunday Times: Rod Liddle wasn’t condoning ‘dooring’ cyclists – he was just using “heavy irony”

In its response, the newspaper claimed that the column had been written with “heavy irony” – a reaction that dismayed not only the national cycling charity, but also the widow of a cyclist who was was killed in Southport in January 2014 after a motorist opened her car door into his path without looking.

The column brings to mind one written in sister paper The Times back in 2007 (link is external) by former MP Matthew Parris, who wrote: “A festive custom we could do worse than foster would be stringing piano wire across country lanes to decapitate cyclists.”

The complaints received in response to that article, published under the headline, ‘What’s smug and deserves to be decapitated?’, elicited what might be best described as a grudging apology from Parris, who claimed that the remark “was meant humorously but so many cyclists have taken it seriously that I plainly misjudged. I am sorry.”

No doubt Liddle’s remarks were also meant “humorously,” but we wouldn’t advise you to hold your breath while waiting for Liddle to issue any apology, grudging or otherwise, for his latest piece.

We have contacted Cycling UK for a comment.

https://road.cc/content/news/liddle-...yclists-273749
Old May 26th 20, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Fantastic comment by a road.cc reader:
QUOTE:

Every day it’s the same. Pick up my newspaper and there is some gammon faced, girlfriend beating, racist, islamaphobic, slightly overweigh, probably hypertensive and diabetic middle aged man with a chip on their well padded shoulder.

A plethora of Farrages (SIC), Clarksons and Liddles. All in tweed jackets with their 20 Bensons, pints of poor quality ale and fatuous expressions on their ruddy faces, expressions of self-righteousness and irreproachable indignation. This is a just a nice way of getting exercise — don’t be such NIMBY dickheads, I shout at them. My wife has persuaded me that, strictly speaking, it is against the law to cough Corona Virus in their faces. Oh, but it’s tempting.

ENDS

(((APPLAUSE)))
Old May 26th 20, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Fantastic comment by a road.cc reader:
QUOTE:

Every day it’s the same. Pick up my newspaper and there is some gammon faced, girlfriend beating, racist, islamaphobic, slightly overweigh (SIC), probably hypertensive and diabetic middle aged man with a chip on their well padded shoulder.

Old May 26th 20, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 26/05/2020 20:03, Simon Mason wrote:

Another obese writer has a go at people slimmer and happier than him. Nick Ferrari, Adam Boulton, Ann Widdecombe, Nigel Farage and Godfrey Bloom at al.
QUOTE:
Sunday Times columnist Rod Liddle has said in today’s edition of the newspaper (link is external) that he finds it “tempting” to stretch piano wire across the road to target cyclists – something that, as we reported last month (link is external), resulted in a man being injured when he was riding on a trail near Leeds with his son.

If that is so, Mr Liddle should have been immediately reported to the
police (perhaps by someone alleging "attempted murder", though as we
know, you don't accept that there is such a crime).

How did the police respond?

Old May 26th 20, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Mason wrote:
Fantastic comment by a road.cc reader:
QUOTE:

Every day it's the same. Pick up my newspaper and there is some
gammon faced, girlfriend beating, racist, islamaphobic, slightly
overweigh, probably hypertensive and diabetic middle aged man with a
chip on their well padded shoulder.

A plethora of Farrages (SIC), Clarksons and Liddles. All in tweed
jackets with their 20 Bensons, pints of poor quality ale and fatuous
expressions on their ruddy faces, expressions of self-righteousness
and irreproachable indignation. This is a just a nice way of getting
exercise - don't be such NIMBY dickheads, I shout at them. My wife
has persuaded me that, strictly speaking, it is against the law to
cough Corona Virus in their faces. Oh, but it's tempting.

ENDS

(((APPLAUSE)))

You are getting more and more boring.

Old May 26th 20, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 8:35:43 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Don't read my posts then!
Learn to use a decent killfile.
Old May 26th 20, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

I don't use a killfile.
Just stop posting boring ****.

Old May 26th 20, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

It's on topic and relevant though.
Maybe you inhabit the wrong newsgroup?

Old May 27th 20, 01:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Tuesday, 26 May 2020 20:03:52 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Pity, I liked Rod Liddle's views on public photography.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhkPnBE59Rc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmGteb5yHyQ&t=275s

Ken Livingstone got it spot on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vtnEA7pWYw
Old May 27th 20, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 27/05/2020 07:35, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

No he is not.
He rides a bike. You do not.