WC Cyclocross 2004 picks

Old January 25th 04, 09:37 PM
TritonRider

Default WC Cyclocross 2004 picks

From: "Kurgan Gringioni"

Don't need a CNC - any old hand operated mill will do. I have a 1958
Bridgeport, it's worth maybe $2000, less than the cost of a bike.

Any bike builder has one of those - that's what they miter the tubes with.

Maybe we should ask Howard, but I'm with you. Any machinist worth the name,
could whip out a batch of hangers once you showed them what you needed. It's a
simple piece. My only question would be if the hanger acted as a shear peice to
save the frame. Possibly a steel hanger would rip up the frame.
Bill C
Old January 26th 04, 03:36 AM
richard sachs

doesn't gucci use the same hanger and material as is found in all the
frames gettin' dirty over there?

e-RICHIE
Old January 26th 04, 05:45 AM
Tom Kunich

"Wayne" wrote in message
m...

JP has found his level, it's between about 15th and 25th (on a good
day) when all the top crossers are there. I highly doubt he's going
to have a big jump in ability all of a sudden and be riding at the
front of big races.

I suggest that this is exactly what it looks like when some unknown comes up
through the ranks. Lance came completely out of nowhere.

Old January 26th 04, 06:00 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,

From: "Kurgan Gringioni"

Don't need a CNC - any old hand operated mill will do. I have a 1958
Bridgeport, it's worth maybe $2000, less than the cost of a bike.

Any bike builder has one of those - that's what they miter the tubes with.

Maybe we should ask Howard, but I'm with you. Any machinist worth the name,
could whip out a batch of hangers once you showed them what you needed. It's
a simple piece. My only question would be if the hanger acted as a shear
peice to save the frame. Possibly a steel hanger would rip up the frame.
Bill C

Sure, you could make those (if they're similar to the ones I've seen on
other bikes - it is a replaceable bolt on bit, right?) on a manual mill.
You can do a lot with a mill and a grinder. But I'd still rather CNC them.
You can draw the piece and make a program in a few minutes, set up the
tools and machine and make a few in a big hurry.
The thing with this issue is that the hanger he's using is obviously
underengineered in some way (and since I haven't seen it, this is
speculation): some of it could be too thin or there might be a sharp corner
on the inside of it that creates a stress point where it bends if the bike
crashes. As far as I know, they make those as replaceable pieces so in a
crash, it'll bend and not the frame. So it's possible that going to a steel
one would be counterproductive on that count. If it was me, I'd do it out
of aluminum again, but add material depending on how it looked like it was
breaking.
As was mentioned earlier, if he can't finish a race because a small part
of his bike is regularly breaking, they need to do something different.

--
tanx,
Howard

Said you hit Roddy Piper, and didn't get a hassle,
Promised your girl filet mignon, then took her to White Castle!
LL Cool J

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old January 26th 04, 08:49 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

Sure, you could make those (if they're similar to the ones I've seen on
other bikes - it is a replaceable bolt on bit, right?) on a manual mill.
You can do a lot with a mill and a grinder. But I'd still rather CNC them.
You can draw the piece and make a program in a few minutes, set up the
tools and machine and make a few in a big hurry.

snip

What sort of machine you use?

And program? Solidworks?

Old January 26th 04, 08:55 AM
Kurgan Gringioni

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

The thing with this issue is that the hanger he's using is obviously
underengineered in some way (and since I haven't seen it, this is
speculation): some of it could be too thin or there might be a sharp corner
on the inside of it that creates a stress point where it bends if the bike
crashes.

Dumbass -

You are right about it being underengineered and making that conclusion about a
part that broke 7 times in a season by 1 person is not really speculation.

Old January 26th 04, 09:17 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

Sure, you could make those (if they're similar to the ones I've seen on
other bikes - it is a replaceable bolt on bit, right?) on a manual mill.
You can do a lot with a mill and a grinder. But I'd still rather CNC them.
You can draw the piece and make a program in a few minutes, set up the
tools and machine and make a few in a big hurry.

snip

What sort of machine you use?

The shop I work at has a few Mori Seiki VMCs and some smaller ones by
Fanuc, and we have a couple of horizontals, too. We also have a few CNC
lathes. The thing is I've been running that stuff long enough that I tend
to still use them for manual type work. They have dials that you can use to
crank the table over to where you want or I'll just write a quick program
that tells it where to go. When I started out in the trade, we didn't have
a CAD/CAM setup that everyone could use so I had to learn to do things at
the machine with a calculator and some trig formulas.

And program? Solidworks?

We use Mastercam. I haven't spent a lot of time doing 3D stuff (because
it isn't called for that often on the parts we make), and that's one of
those things where if you don't do it on a regular basis, you forget the
tricks that make it easy. That's one of the complaints I have with this
job: the parts we do aren't particularly interesting or challenging to me.

--
tanx,
Howard

"I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my lips!"
Homer Simpson

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old January 26th 04, 09:17 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

The thing with this issue is that the hanger he's using is obviously
underengineered in some way (and since I haven't seen it, this is
speculation): some of it could be too thin or there might be a sharp corner
on the inside of it that creates a stress point where it bends if the bike
crashes.

Dumbass -

You are right about it being underengineered and making that conclusion about
a part that broke 7 times in a season by 1 person is not really speculation.

Well, yeah, but what -was- speculation were the reasons I suggested
(should have been more clear on that). I'd like to actually see the part.