A good time for 10km TT?

Old June 7th 06, 09:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default A good time for 10km TT?

Steve Freides wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
I have a best of 15:45 on a regular bike. How good is that?

Hi Joe.

I get the impression you are a nice guy. This really isn't the best
place for a nice guy to ask a question about his athletic
performance.
You're liable to get a wild assortment of advice, accurate and
inaccurate. Some of the nicest members of the group are apt to
address
you as 'dumbass,' while some of the worst members of the group are
apt
to address you by your given name. It can be a confusing place
before
you get used to it.

I actually prefer the roughness of this group to the false veneer of
civility often found on other groups. At least here there are no
unexpectedly rude and/or crazy things that just pop up out of the
blue.
Here it's all on display from the get go!

If you think this is a rough newsgroup, you don't get out on Usenet
much. I'd call this one middle of the road - there are some nicer but
many far worse. And I confess to have _never_ found a "veneer of
civility" in Usenet, false or otherwise.

I've kept my forays to groups with some semblance of relavency to
people who are not entirely off their rocker. Things like how to
optimze a database, vs aroma-therapy treatments for bus-sickness. The
sane/crazy ratio seems to have a lot to do with it.

r.b.* is a borderline case, with a fair number of fruitcakes,
particularly among those who also know what Usenet is. Guys with beards
who complain that Supergo doesn't stock spare parts for 15 year old
floor-pumps.

Joseph

Old June 7th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

joseph.santaniello wrote:
I actually prefer the roughness of this group to the false veneer of
civility often found on other groups.

Note to rbr: We really need to work harder at becoming less civil (ised).
Is there any dope that we can take that will help us improve ?

Dumbass:

If the show "House" is to be believed, Vicodin.

Still sticking with gin, though I'll probably nip at the Jameson's my
father-in-law just brought from the duty-free,

Old June 7th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

DO NOT use a TT bike since those guys are riding well below the speed
at which a TT bike would make any significant contribution. You'd be
able to get the same boost simply by riding with your hands next to the
stem and you head as far down as you can get it.

What is the speed at which a TT bike makes a significant contribution?
Enlighten us.

-RJ

Old June 7th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Mad Dog wrote:
says...

Hey, Joe, where ya goin' with yer eyes closed?

The best guys in our club 10km TT are all just under 14 minutes. There
are a bunch under 14:30. They all have full-on TT bikes. How good are
these guys? What USCF cat-level is that, sort of?

14 minutes ~ 26.6 mph

14.5 minutes ~ 25.7 mph

15.75 minutes ~ 23.6 mph

Sorry, I still have to think in mph for TTs. Top tour riders do well over 30
mph in much longer TTs, so 14 minutes for 10K is nowhere near world class. I've
seen cat 3 riders go faster on a 10 mile TT that was reasonably flat. I
personally have done just a handful of TTs shorter than 10 miles. For sure
fitness is key on the short races but to me, attitude on the day of the race was
always a huge factor on the many 10 milers I've done. If you can get mentally
ready to suffer and then not blow it by going out too fast or too slow, then at
least you will get to suffer even if you have a slow day.

23.6 is nothing to laugh at. If you stick with it, you'll probably beat that
time. The advice given you here is solid, although unlike Tom, I recommend you
to absolutely, positively get yourself a full-on TT bike. ****, if I went out
and laid down the big bucks for a new ride, I'm damn sure I'd kick the ****
outta my PR. Go do it and if you puke all over those snazz aero bars, you can
curse me at will.

We have a local TT that we do which is about 20 km and has 600 feet of
climbing in it with several sections of approximately 6% for more than
100 yards both going up and coming down. My best time is around 35
minutes for an average of 20.5 mph.

I've done this on a TT bike and on a normal bike and SURPISE! a normal
bike is faster. At speeds below 25 mph a TT bike adds almost nothing to
your speed. The difference in drag is almost indetectable and TT bikes
are generally heavier and accelerate slower.

Moreover, unless you spend countless hours on a TT bike the position is
foreign enough that you put out less power in that position.

Old June 7th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

We have a local TT that we do which is about 20 km and has 600 feet of
climbing in it with several sections of approximately 6% for more than
100 yards both going up and coming down. My best time is around 35
minutes for an average of 20.5 mph.

I've done this on a TT bike and on a normal bike and SURPISE! a normal
bike is faster. At speeds below 25 mph a TT bike adds almost nothing to
your speed. The difference in drag is almost indetectable and TT bikes
are generally heavier and accelerate slower.

Moreover, unless you spend countless hours on a TT bike the position is
foreign enough that you put out less power in that position.

Are you saying that 25 mph is the speed?

-RJ

Old June 7th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

in message .com,
') wrote:

r.b.* is a borderline case, with a fair number of fruitcakes,
particularly among those who also know what Usenet is.

Surely, if you know what Usenet is, you're by definition a fruitcake?

Oh, AI .sig generator right on target as usual.

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Old June 7th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Good time for a time trial :

d == distance
t == time
gender = 1 if female, 0 if male

t = [1 hr * (distance / 40 km) ^ 1.07] / 0.9 ^ gender

Dan