RIP VDB

Old October 13th 09, 10:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

Default RIP VDB

On Oct 13, 9:37*am, KG wrote:
On Oct 12, 9:39*pm, Michael Press wrote:

In article
,

*Henry wrote:
On Oct 13, 2:44*pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
"Henry" wrote in message

On Oct 13, 10:30 am, Geraard Spergen wrote:
Yup.

when I was a cop I picked up a few elderly people who died of natural
causes and a few suicides.
On one hand I felt so sorry for their friends and family, but on the
other, it's an incredibly selfish act; maybe unless you're a Japanese
politician with samurai blood.
It's not until you're dealt with someone in the pit of depression that
you can relate either way.

I think that a lot of the problem is the drugs themselves that push those
with a problem over the line.

we have (or used to) the highest rate in the world of teenage males
and suicide here in NZL.
In an interesting statistic (which I don't recall) most of them smoked
dope.

Marijuana interferes with memory; long term memory
does not get laid down, so the user cannot develop.
There is a movie I do not like, but it does put
across the helplessness: Memento.

No matter how much is said in favor of drugs for
helping a sufferer, he does not get better unless
he stops taking drugs.

Dumbass -

The root cause of the addicts' disease isn't drug use. It's depression/
chemical imbalance.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

I disagree. When you look at most people's lives, and the human
condition in general, depression is the expected response. It's the
people who aren't depressed who are like that due to natural
chemicals. If I recall correctly, there is data showing that people
with depression are better at anticipating their performance on
certain tests, "normal" people tend to be over-confident.

-ilan
Old October 13th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

On Oct 13, 5:05*am, ilan wrote:

I disagree. When you look at most people's lives, and the human
condition in general, depression is the expected response. It's the
people who aren't depressed who are like that due to natural
chemicals. If I recall correctly, there is data showing that people
with depression are better at anticipating their performance on
certain tests, "normal" people tend to be over-confident.

-ilan

Anyone who reads Darwin and Schopenhauer and tries to really
understand their message can risk depression from the implications.
Perhaps the business of bike racing has its own Darwinian conclusions
for those who are willing to see them.
Old October 13th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Oct 12, 5:30*pm, Geraard Spergen wrote:
Yup.

Thanks for following rbr protocol and putting the results in the
subject line.
Old October 13th 09, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
KG wrote:

On Oct 12, 9:39Â*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

Â*Henry wrote:
On Oct 13, 2:44Â*pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
"Henry" wrote in message

[...]

A Buddhist would say the root cause is desire.
What is the connection between what I said and
your reply?

--
Michael Press
Old October 13th 09, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Oct 13, 5:05*am, ilan wrote:

I disagree. When you look at most people's lives, and the human
condition in general, depression is the expected response. It's the
people who aren't depressed who are like that due to natural
chemicals. If I recall correctly, there is data showing that people
with depression are better at anticipating their performance on
certain tests, "normal" people tend to be over-confident.

-ilan

If you're not depressed/paranoid you're not paying attention. It's
what you do with the depression and paranoia that makes the difference
between functioning and not.

Old October 13th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Oct 13, 12:39*am, Michael Press wrote:

Marijuana interferes with memory; long term memory
does not get laid down, so the user cannot develop.

An excellent example of how a blanket statement is just a blanket over
your eyes.
Most of the biggest pot heads I knew in college are now Fellows at
Johns Hopkins, doctors, PhDs, CEOs and the like. Inhaling didn't seem
to wipe their memory like you're suggesting.

There is a movie I do not like, but it does put
across the helplessness: Memento.

That is a good movie, what didn't you like about it?

Old October 13th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

On Oct 13, 12:43*pm, Michael Press wrote:

A Buddhist would say the root cause is desire.
What is the connection between what I said and
your reply?

--
Michael Press

Before we go down this path, the Buddhist alternative eliminates any
fun or enjoyment from existence.
Old October 13th 09, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 12:39 am, Michael Press wrote:

Marijuana interferes with memory; long term memory
does not get laid down, so the user cannot develop.

Most of the biggest pot heads I knew in college are now Fellows at
Johns Hopkins, doctors, PhDs, CEOs and the like. Inhaling didn't seem
to wipe their memory like you're suggesting.

I used to say things like that but over time what I saw was that eventually
most of those using drugs failed and failed miserably and often people with
a lot less talent succeeded when the potheads started falling apart.

Yes, even amoung teachers/professors.

Old October 13th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Mark wrote:

On Oct 13, 12:43*pm, Michael Press wrote:

A Buddhist would say the root cause is desire.
What is the connection between what I said and
your reply?

Before we go down this path, the Buddhist alternative eliminates any
fun or enjoyment from existence.

So you're saying all discussions on rbr are Buddhist?

--
Bill Asher
Old October 13th 09, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Oct 13, 2:21*pm, "Tom Kunich" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Oct 13, 12:39 am, Michael Press wrote:

Marijuana interferes with memory; long term memory
does not get laid down, so the user cannot develop.

Most of the biggest pot heads I knew in college are now Fellows at
Johns Hopkins, doctors, PhDs, CEOs and the like. *Inhaling didn't seem
to wipe their memory like you're suggesting.

I used to say things like that but over time what I saw was that eventually
most of those using drugs failed and failed miserably and often people with
a lot less talent succeeded when the potheads started falling apart.

Yes, even amoung teachers/professors.

Oh, I'm not arguing for it, I'm arguing about smoking pot wiping
people's ability to remember things. It's just not that simple.