I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

Old December 30th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
RobertH

Default I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

On Dec 30, 10:25 am, Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]
Brad mentions road sprinters pulling out of SPDs, and frankly, that is
a real problem for me with my M520s. Even with new cleats and tension
at max, my right foot pulls out frequently. I have a really mobile
right ankle due to injuries and surgery, and that results in frequent
disengagement that I do not get on my Keos. -- Jay Beattie.

That's a serious danger, I recommend Time pedals as they do not
release inadvertantly until the cleat is quite worn.
Old December 30th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Dec 30, 9:23*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message

On Dec 30, 8:07 am, Cicero Venatio wrote:

That said, on a hot day, I got nothing against putting on a lycra
monkeysuit and going for a long haul on my SS roadie bike. It's got
spds--but I'll never ever buy another road shoe.

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I'm wondering what the big
deal is about road shoes.

I have spds on both my bikes (sport tour and road.) *I have a pair of
Shimano MTB shoes
that I use with both bikes. *My pedals are full pedals with the spd on one
side and grips on the other.

I get grief from roadie buddies but I'm not sure I understand why. *I've
used
Look pedals before and I don't see a big difference.

They say that Look type pedals are easier to get into and out of but I don't
see that. *They also talk about hot spots on the spd cleats but I don't
notice
that either. *Maybe it's because of the full size pedals that I have.

I can actually park my bike and walk into the office with these shoes. *The
cleats
are recessed into the sole.

Part of my commute is through a park with gravelly trails. *I can unclip
and use the pedal side for when I'm sliding through the gravel.

I can take off from the red light without fumbling with the cleat until I
get
across the intersection.

The cleats seem to last longer and the shoes are $150 bucks.

I can use the same shoes in the spinning classes in the off season.

What's the argument against this setup on a road bike?

Road shoes are lighter :-p
Old December 30th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

[...]

It's more important that they be red.
Old December 30th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

On Dec 30, 9:25*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:23*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:

"landotter" wrote in message

[...]

None. *It's a matter of preference. *I use SPDs on my commuter and
Look Keo on my racing bike. *The Look pedals hold my foot more firmly.
With limber shoes, the Looks also provide better foot support and do
not concentrate forces over a small area. *This is not much of a
problem for me since both my commuting and racing shoes have CF soles.
The Look pedals are also lighter, to the extent that is a selling
point.

Brad mentions road sprinters pulling out of SPDs, and frankly, that is
a real problem for me with my M520s. *Even with new cleats and tension
at max, my right foot pulls out frequently. *I have a really mobile
right ankle due to injuries and surgery, and that results in frequent
disengagement that I do not get on my Keos. -- Jay Beattie.

Mostly a +1. There's arguably some very slight aero differences. Once
I decided to go to Crank Brothers for my cyclocross racing, I
converted all my bikes over to their pedals as I could. The advantages
for me are that I'm always walkable (hate Looks for the same reasons
others do here), and that any pair of shoes works on any bike (a big
deal, because Imelda Marcos on two wheels that I am, I have two sets
of summer shoes and two sets of winter boots, all with Crank Bros.
cleats).

The SPDs can indeed pull out, though I had no problems when I raced in
them. The CB's don't pull out when new, but they do pull out when worn
to the point of needing replacement.
Old December 30th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

On Dec 30, 6:07*am, Cicero Venatio wrote:
Doing some house cleaning in the cold weather, and I found a stash of
old cycling race mags, and a stack of vhs tapes on tour de france and
those other races they have in Europe. *I kind of thumbed through some
of the mags, put a couple of the vhs tapes in, and I thought of how
stupid I was back then. *All of it went into the dumpster. *The only
thing remotely interesting was some of the hype on that old equipment,
bikes, and shoes, clothes. *It was all an elaborate illusion, and they
actually fooled me in those days. *But now I know the magic behind the
tricks, and I kept one tape, that I recorded myself, to remind me of how
fake it all was. *That is the stage that Landis won, after he covered
himself with t-patches the night before. *He looked like a crazed crack
head fleeing the police in that stage, it is so obvious now.

It was all such a waste of time. *Still have a couple of CF wonder
racing bikes that I hardly even use because they are so impractical to
ride. *Most of riding is now on a Surly LHT, with 35 wide tires, spd
pedals and shoes, and have discovered the real joy of riding.

Dumbass -

I feel the same about some of my memorabilia, especially anything that
has to do with Greg LemonD.

Great athlete. Tool of a human being.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old December 30th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni. wrote:
Dumbass -
I feel the same about some of my memorabilia, especially anything that
has to do with Greg LemonD.
Great athlete. Tool of a human being.

I feel for you. We Anquetil fans needed blinders as well.
Doper, pervert, weirdo but damn could he ever ride!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 30th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 30, 11:47*am, Chalo wrote:
raamman wrote:

Cicero Venatio wrote:

It was a such a waste of time. *Still have a couple of CF wonder
racing bikes that I hardly even use because they are so impractical to
ride. *Most of riding is now on a Surly LHT, with 35 wide tires, spd
pedals and shoes, and have discovered the real joy of riding.

it sounds like you've discovered a joy of eating; 35 wide tires carry
such rolling resistance that only massively overweight riders use them
for "comfort"

You are full of gas (and you're a prick, but I guess that's just a
racer thing). *A supple 700x35 tire like the Pasela, Rivendell Jack
Brown, or Schwalbe Marathon Racer has _less_ rolling resistance than a
narrow race tire, because it flexes a lot less deeply to establish its
contact patch. *It weighs a little more and has more aerodynamic drag
at speeds over 20mph or so, but neither of those things equal rolling
resistance.

I sell 700x23 Soma Everwear and 700x25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires
at my shop. *Those tires are sluggish, even though they are narrow.
If you want to compare an armored 35mm utility tire to a skinny tire,
compare with those. *But a fast 35mm tire is simply a fast tire by any
measure.

Chalo

Big fat tires ride like big fat tires. They are pigs climbing and can
ride like pogo sticks at real low pressure . . . but you get better
traction in crappy conditions and get good pinch flat resistance. I
switch between tires frequently on my cross-bike. I will throw on the
fatties this weekend because conditions have turned very soupy, and
riding in the dark and the rain is just asking to whack something. But
if it were summer, I would stick with my 25s or 28s because I hate
dragging the fatties uphill. -- Jay Beattie.
Old December 30th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 30, 1:19*pm, AMuzi wrote:
*Cicero Venatio wrote:
[...]

Blinders are a requirement for any fan, except maybe a fan of Keith
Richards, where doping is part of the appeal. -- Jay Beattie.
Old December 30th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 12/30/2010 11:28 AM, Chalo wrote:
landotter wrote:

I like Looks as well--easy to get into, and a very planted
feel--but not really practical for anything outside of race day,
unless you want to fool with (ugh) cleat covers.

Maybe someone could make some big ol' clodhoppers with a Look cleat
surrounded by a wide margin of rubber lugs. Sort of like a logger
boot with the middle of the forefoot carved away for the goofy Look
cleat.

Like this? (prehistoric Look Y-cleats - no longer made)
http://home.comcast.net/~mandmlj/ShoeLugs/

Mark J.
Old December 30th 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Chalo wrote:
landotter wrote:
I like Looks as well--easy to get into, and a very planted
feel--but not really practical for anything outside of race day,
unless you want to fool with (ugh) cleat covers.

Maybe someone could make some big ol' clodhoppers with a Look cleat
surrounded by a wide margin of rubber lugs. Sort of like a logger
boot with the middle of the forefoot carved away for the goofy Look
cleat.

That would be racy, yet practical. Wait... I guess "racy" really
means _impractical_, doesn't it? I mean, that's all that so-called
race equipment really has in common, right?

Impractical for everything except racy bike riding. Is there any other
kind?

BTW, I use MTB shoes with SPD cleats when I go MTBing or shopping. I
can walk free and easy with the cleat well surrounded by rubber, yet
still ride bike with the same connected feeling as I get from my roadie
shoes and look keo carbon pedals!

JS.

come on -- admit it bar Racing 0 August 19th 09 03:11 AM
Ashamed to ride a bike? Join Bike Pride Parade! ComandanteBanana Techniques 15 August 2nd 09 11:51 PM
I'm so ashamed PhilD UK 15 December 21st 06 06:16 PM
Bradley Wiggins: Sick of feeling ashamed because I'm a professional cyclist Jason Spaceman Racing 3 September 26th 06 10:12 PM
I admit it ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 4 September 5th 04 06:45 PM