Heart rate and fat burning

Old August 7th 04, 11:49 PM
Andy Coggan

Default Heart rate and fat burning

"Daremo" wrote in message
news

Keeping an entire ride averaging 185 is pretty damn brutal ........

Not if your max heart rate is, say, 220 beats/min.

You are basically above your anaerobic threshhold the whole time. You
want to be aerobic.

Even above so-called anaerobic threshold the vast majority of energy is
still obtained aerobically. Only during an all-out effort of 60 or so
seconds initiated from complete rest will anaerobic metabolism be the
predominant source of energy.

The formulae evevryone is putting out will probably do the trick.

But what everyone is not telling you is the nutrition and hydration
part of it. More important the the numbers and calories you put out is
the type and amount you put in. Make sure your diet is balanced and
thought out.

One example is don't eat a big/heavy meal after you ride as your body
will be too busy burning calories from the ride to really process it
well. Food combining like heavy starches (ie. carbos) with proteins
cause your digestion to get all f'ed up. Combine starches with
vegtables at about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio (less carbs to more veggies).
Same goes for proteins.

"Food combining" is malarky.

Key to it is ride in your aerobic zone (age/fitness/weight calculated)
and eat intelligently. THEN you will lose the weight that you want.

You'll lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat. If you don't, you
won't. Neither the intensity of the exercise or the source of the calories
have any impact (except to the extent that they influence energy balance).

Andy Coggan

Old August 8th 04, 12:37 AM
Steven Bornfeld

Andy Coggan wrote:
"Daremo" wrote in message
[...]

I hate to flog what should be a dead horse. But wouldn't it be more
accurate to say that you'll lose weight if you burn more calories than
you absorb?
I don't know what the efficiency of the gut is in absorbing calories.
I can't assume it's the same for carbohydrate, protein, and fat.
Obviously some folks have malabsorption syndromes as well--not that I'm
depending on that to lose weight.
I unaccountably have a memory of the bodybuilder Franco Columbu once
writing that he thought salads should be eaten after the main course of
dinner--his feeling being that eating salad first would interfere with
the absorbtion of all dem good protein calories.
Obviously, dietary fiber decreases intestinal transit time, and this
could theoretically have an effect on intestinal efficiency in caloric
uptake, but I don't know this--perhaps you do.

Steve

Old August 8th 04, 05:46 AM
Tim Lines

GABIKE wrote:

I started road biking 2 1/2 years ago as a way to improve my fitness. Since
then I have become addicted and have started thinking about racing. My first
year I rode 800 miles, my second year 900 miles. So far this year I have ridden
1,600 miles. My endurance is up, my max speed it up, but Im not losing any
weight. The other day during a club ride I was talking to one of the local
racers and he suggested in order to lose fat I need to slow down and decrease
my heart rate.

The only way you'll end up losing weight by riding slower is if you ride
LONGER.

--

--------------------

Remove CLOTHES to reply
Old August 8th 04, 12:50 PM
Daremo

Andy Coggan Wrote:
"Food combining" is malarky.

Andy Coggan

I think I'll trust my wife who is a nutritional consultant and cultured
foods manufacturer on what I said .............. believe what you want.

--
Daremo

Old August 8th 04, 01:45 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:50:57 +1000, Daremo
wrote:

cultured foods manufacturer

What is a cultured foods manufacturer? Is it someone who makes food
like yogurt and cheese?

JT
Old August 8th 04, 02:05 PM
Andy Coggan

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Andy Coggan wrote:
"Daremo" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps - but it could also be considered nit-picking.

I don't know what the efficiency of the gut is in absorbing calories.

In healthy individuals, I believe it is on the order of 95-98%.

I can't assume it's the same for carbohydrate, protein, and fat.

In fact, it is essentially the same (barring some malabsorption syndromes).

Obviously some folks have malabsorption syndromes as well--not that I'm
depending on that to lose weight.

Good thing!

Obviously, dietary fiber decreases intestinal transit time, and this
could theoretically have an effect on intestinal efficiency in caloric
uptake, but I don't know this--perhaps you do.

Unless you've got severe diarrhea, essentially all of the calories that can
be absorbed will still be absorbed.

Andy Coggan

Old August 8th 04, 02:32 PM
Daremo

John Forrest Tomlinson Wrote:
What is a cultured foods manufacturer? Is it someone who makes food
like yogurt and cheese?

JT

She doesn't specifically make that for sale (but she does make some
cheese and yogurt for our kids - goat's milk based since she is sure
they are both allergic to dairy). When they do get cow's milk and ice
cream, it is only if it is from pure raw dairy, non-pasteurized (that
she gets from Amish people in Pennsylvania as a co-op).

She makes four different blends of cultured vegtables (think saurkraut
or kimchee, but without the vinegar and bad preservative stuff). And
she makes a drink called young coconut keifer.

She uses only organic veggies, and there is no cooking involved, just
the addition of a keifer starter to get the products to ferment.

We are currently working with my little brother to create a website,
but it is still in the preliminary stages.

But this is a cycling forum, not a food specific forum .......... so I
won't sit here and plug her products. Just keep in mind that eating
smart will not only help you lose weight, but give you the proper
nutrition to excell at cycling (and any other sport). Remember that
the food you put in is your fuel.

--
Daremo

Old August 8th 04, 03:53 PM
Peter Allen

Daremo wrote in message ...
Keeping an entire ride averaging 185 is pretty damn brutal ........

You are basically above your anaerobic threshhold the whole time. You
want to be aerobic.

hmm.. anaerobic power = lactic acid production = blowing up. So if
you're doing a steady effort (flat TT, say) you won't be producing
much power anaerobically between the end of minute one and the sprint
for the line.

But what everyone is not telling you is the nutrition and hydration
part of it. More important the the numbers and calories you put out is
the type and amount you put in. Make sure your diet is balanced and
thought out.

Food combining like heavy starches (ie. carbos) with proteins
cause your digestion to get all f'ed up. Combine starches with
vegtables at about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio (less carbs to more veggies).
Same goes for proteins.

So you shouldn't, say, eat pasta and meat together? Will have to
remember to tell that to the GB Olympic rowing squad. All of them.

Key to it is ride in your aerobic zone (age/fitness/weight calculated)
and eat intelligently. THEN you will lose the weight that you want.

'Aerobic zone' as determined by age/weight calculators is usually
crap, there's too much variation about the average. Something working
off a genuine (tested) max HR will be better, or for that matter just
taking 20 off your average HR during a flat out 10 mile time trial is
probably about right for a long hard-ish ride.

Peter