Heart rate and fat burning

Old August 8th 04, 04:02 PM
Peter Allen

Default Heart rate and fat burning

(Tom Young) wrote in message m...
(GABIKE) wrote in message ...
Im 32 yeas old, 6ft tall and 195#'s
Thanks for any help you can give.

I think you need a new heart rate monitor. Using the rule of thumb
formula for maximum heart rate of 220 ? your age, your calculated max
heart rate is 188. If your actual *average* heart rate on your rides
is 185 - 98.4% of maximum ? then those 2 minute rides you're taking
aren't burning many calories.

Working backwards, that would make me about 5 years old. And O'Grady
will be born in 14 years, per reports of his HR hitting 235 in the TdF
last year.
The formula's not really very useful.

I've read that when you are exercising at fairly low heart rates,
probably around 50% - 60% of max (94 ? 113 bpm in your case) the body
tends to get a slightly higher proportion of its energy from stored
fat than when you're exercising with a heart rate closer to the max.

Yes - AIUI, burning fat provides an amount of power which increases as
you work harder then plateaus.

But, for weight control, that's largely irrelevant. No matter what,
the issue of calories in versus calories out prevails. If you train
at a very low heart rate, burning slightly more fat than you would at
a high heart rate, but consume more calories than you expend, you'll
gain weight.

You're basically right, except that at the lower HR you do not
actually burn more fat than at the higher HR; you burn the same amount
or less. But at the higher HR, you're also going through a lot of
energy from sugar, which means that the fraction of power production
due to fat burning is less at the higher HR.

What you need to do is do long distance rides at something like 60% -
75% of maximum heart rate, something you can sustain for many hours,
and be careful about what you eat. It's not the issue of the
percentage of energy the body is getting from stored fat. Rather,
it's the issue of expending a lot of calories on these long training
rides and then not replenishing those calories by overeating.

Yes.

Peter
Old August 8th 04, 04:59 PM
Steven Bornfeld

Andy Coggan wrote:
"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Andy Coggan wrote:

"Daremo" wrote in message
news

Keeping an entire ride averaging 185 is pretty damn brutal ........

Not if your max heart rate is, say, 220 beats/min.

You are basically above your anaerobic threshhold the whole time. You
want to be aerobic.

Even above so-called anaerobic threshold the vast majority of energy is
still obtained aerobically. Only during an all-out effort of 60 or so
seconds initiated from complete rest will anaerobic metabolism be the
predominant source of energy.

The formulae evevryone is putting out will probably do the trick.

But what everyone is not telling you is the nutrition and hydration
part of it. More important the the numbers and calories you put out is
the type and amount you put in. Make sure your diet is balanced and
thought out.

One example is don't eat a big/heavy meal after you ride as your body
will be too busy burning calories from the ride to really process it
well. Food combining like heavy starches (ie. carbos) with proteins
cause your digestion to get all f'ed up. Combine starches with
vegtables at about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio (less carbs to more veggies).
Same goes for proteins.

"Food combining" is malarky.

Key to it is ride in your aerobic zone (age/fitness/weight calculated)
and eat intelligently. THEN you will lose the weight that you want.

You'll lose weight if you burn more calories than you eat. If you don't,

you

won't. Neither the intensity of the exercise or the source of the

calories

have any impact (except to the extent that they influence energy

balance).

Andy Coggan

I hate to flog what should be a dead horse. But wouldn't it be more
accurate to say that you'll lose weight if you burn more calories than
you absorb?

Perhaps - but it could also be considered nit-picking.

I don't know what the efficiency of the gut is in absorbing calories.

In healthy individuals, I believe it is on the order of 95-98%.

I can't assume it's the same for carbohydrate, protein, and fat.

In fact, it is essentially the same (barring some malabsorption syndromes).

Obviously some folks have malabsorption syndromes as well--not that I'm
depending on that to lose weight.

Good thing!

Obviously, dietary fiber decreases intestinal transit time, and this
could theoretically have an effect on intestinal efficiency in caloric
uptake, but I don't know this--perhaps you do.

Unless you've got severe diarrhea, essentially all of the calories that can
be absorbed will still be absorbed.

Andy Coggan

Thanks, Doc!

Steve

Old August 8th 04, 05:37 PM
GABIKE

would agree that slowing down to develop a base is a great idea since
cycling is an aerobic sport (dammit!). 1600 miles in 7 months is not that
much riding (40 mpw?) however enough that you should be losing some weight

Most if my miles came after the time change. Prior to that I went to spinning
classes during the winter. I dont keep track of spinning class miles. I try to
ride 100 miles a week and usually get 80 to 120 in.

Also, you say you are not losing weight, are your clothes fitting
differently (looser)?

I cant really tell. Some days I think they are looser, some days tighter but
not by much either way.

Old August 8th 04, 05:43 PM
GABIKE

What's your maximum HR? 185 sounds high to me, because it's 5 beats off my
max, but if you have a max of 220 then it's different.

I dont know how you officially calculate a max HR but there is a local hill
that the club goes up toward the end of one of our weekly rides that is
reportidly named after a club member that fell over dead on it after suffering
a major heart attack. When I get to the crest of it my HR is 205-210. Think of
the guys in the tour who get droped from the peloton on the steep climbs and
you have a good idea of what my pace looks like. going up it.
Old August 8th 04, 06:08 PM
GABIKE

21 excellent posts snipped

Will riding at a slower pace do anthing helpful for me that a faster pace
wouldnt? Is there a way for my to lower my HR while keeping that same avarage
speed?

Old August 8th 04, 06:50 PM
Daremo

Peter Allen Wrote:

So you shouldn't, say, eat pasta and meat together? Will have to
remember to tell that to the GB Olympic rowing squad. All of them.

Peter

Oh right, I'm sorry, I forgot we were talking about pro level athletes
who burn 5,000 calories a day, and not amateur recreational riders who
probably burn around 500-1,000 on a good ride ......

And I would be willing to bet that most of those pros have systemic
yeast infections inside their guts, so yes, they should be eating
differently, they would be healthier and faster (and not get beat by
the American team .....).

--
Daremo

Old August 8th 04, 07:28 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 03:57:51 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
As for losing weight, I find that when I do more high intensity stuff
(racing) then I lose weight.

Too tired to eat, know the feeling.

E.
-didn't go out yesterday because of boozing up night before, felt I had
to do something as day passed indolently (congrats to me for first use),
but daylight faded so I brought out the rollers, 2x 40', today hard
training ride at 1pm, now in no mood to prepare dinner.
Old August 8th 04, 09:13 PM
h squared

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 03:57:51 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
As for losing weight, I find that when I do more high intensity stuff
(racing) then I lose weight.

Too tired to eat, know the feeling.

E.
-didn't go out yesterday because of boozing up night before, felt I had
to do something as day passed indolently (congrats to me for first use),
but daylight faded so I brought out the rollers, 2x 40', today hard
training ride at 1pm, now in no mood to prepare dinner.

best training advice i ever got on this ng (from j.t)- have food that
easy to make or ready to eat already waiting for you upon return home.

heather
Old August 8th 04, 09:30 PM
Stewart Fleming

GABIKE wrote:

I dont know how you officially calculate a max HR but there is a local hill
that the club goes up toward the end of one of our weekly rides that is
reportidly named after a club member that fell over dead on it after suffering
a major heart attack. When I get to the crest of it my HR is 205-210. Think of
the guys in the tour who get droped from the peloton on the steep climbs and
you have a good idea of what my pace looks like. going up it.

Did the group stop for him?