Bikes on Airplanes.

Old August 18th 05, 02:26 AM
hol99

Default Bikes on Airplanes.

I bought a bike case and am taking a trip. Do they charge extra to take the
bike?

Dave

Old August 18th 05, 02:51 AM
Andrew F Martin

more information...

where are you going?
where are you starting from?

In the US - yes. $60-80 on most airlines. If you are a licensed USCF
Member you can get 2 vouchers for United.

Old August 18th 05, 03:37 AM
crit pro

In article .com,
"Andrew F Martin" wrote:

more information...

where are you going?
where are you starting from?

In the US - yes. $60-80 on most airlines. If you are a licensed USCF
Member you can get 2 vouchers for United.

it's a ripoff...make sure your case doesn't say "bike" anywhere on it,
dress nice and tell the skycap it's a "display for work" and make sure
he see's the $10 bill you'll tip him.

this has worked for me dozens of times...even when checking in at the
counter.
Old August 18th 05, 06:34 AM
Stu Fleming

Andrew F Martin wrote:
more information...

where are you going?
where are you starting from?

In the US - yes. $60-80 on most airlines. If you are a licensed USCF
Member you can get 2 vouchers for United.

Ah, United.
Proud recipients of US$7,500 from the New Zealand duathlon team in 2002 for
excess baggage charges. Missed approach go-around at LAX a mere courtesy
detail...

--
IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz
Old August 18th 05, 06:49 AM
Robert Chung

Stu Fleming wrote:
Ah, United.
Proud recipients of US$7,500 from the New Zealand duathlon team in 2002
for excess baggage charges. Missed approach go-around at LAX a mere
courtesy detail...

You'd rather they'd insisted on landing the first time?

Old August 18th 05, 07:32 AM
DepartFictif

if flying international companies don't charge you so long as it is
within your baggage weight allowance

Old August 18th 05, 08:39 AM
Howard Kveck

In article .com,
"DepartFictif" wrote:

if flying international companies don't charge you so long as it is
within your baggage weight allowance

Aha, another argument for having the lightest bike you can get.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 18th 05, 09:00 AM
trg

"DepartFictif" a écrit dans le message de
oups.com...
if flying international companies don't charge you so long as it is
within your baggage weight allowance

Depends on the company and where you're flying from.

I've found that even in the States you may be able to avoid the fee if the
bike is your only piece of checked luggage. A lot depends on the agent you
check in with, and whether he/she is having a good day, how well you smile,
etc.

BTW, some airlines may refuse to take your bike on the same flight that
you're on if you don't inform them in advance that you've got a bike as
luggage.

Old August 18th 05, 09:32 AM

trg wrote:

BTW, some airlines may refuse to take your bike on the same flight that
you're on if you don't inform them in advance that you've got a bike as
luggage.

all airlines will screw you over and treat you like cattle regardless,
I used to tell them I was a tortured artist, and my bike box were my
precious paintings,
and that worked almost %100 for a few years, but then I started getting
nailed with those $75 fees, back when $75 was some serious smack to me,

airlines suck, like the south park where the gay teacher dude invents
a rolling machine that will get you anywhere as fast as flying, only
you have to get orally and anally raped by a huge metal phallic device
- but people were like "hey's it's better than flying"
Fat lady next to you, baby crying, and those annoying condescending
flight attendents, talking to you like you're a retarded 5 year old,
I haven't flown in 3 years now, my last flight from sf to abq
had like 8 people on it, and the government just keeps giving those
airlines the corporate welfare to keep their bloated, inefficient,
corporate strucutures intact so the CEO's can get 50 million dollar
bonuses
for only posting a %14 loss on the quarter -
you pay for this treatment? dude brings his golf clubs, his 14 foot
longboard surfboard (yes I've seen this) and there is NO CHARGE...
you bring a bike, packed in a case, under 100 inches cubic, and you get
to pay them an additional $75. Half the freaking airplane is EMPTY, and
you still pay, because they are greedy corporate welfare *******s.
I don't know why they single out bikes, but they do, I think it's just
the idea of being able to bring an alternative form of transportation
on a plane is offensive to them...
Amtrak is the way to go, yeah a private room costs 3 times as much and
it takes 3 days longer, but you can see the country, get drunk,
spread out, hang with some hot australian or dutch backpackers.

Old August 18th 05, 12:48 PM
Carl Sundquist

crit pro wrote:

it's a ripoff...make sure your case doesn't say "bike" anywhere on it,
dress nice and tell the skycap it's a "display for work" and make sure
he see's the $10 bill you'll tip him.

this has worked for me dozens of times...even when checking in at the
counter.

So you bitch and moan about Dave Fuentes stealing your prize money from
Superweek, but you believe it is acceptable to steal from and lie to
the airlines?

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 01:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM