Bikes on Airplanes.

Old August 18th 05, 12:56 PM
DepartFictif

Default Bikes on Airplanes.

wow.. sounds like a lot of hard times traveling. I've never had that
much trouble. I've never paid for international flights, (or national
for that matter except within the US, but sponsor paid for that) and
I've flown a LOT with my bike... it might have gone missing a few
times, but I always got it back (eventually).

I'll stop reading this threat now, it's too depressing as I'll be
flying again soon... I'm like the ostrich way of life...

Old August 18th 05, 02:14 PM
Howard Kveck

In article . com,
"Carl Sundquist" wrote:

crit pro wrote:

it's a ripoff...make sure your case doesn't say "bike" anywhere on it,
dress nice and tell the skycap it's a "display for work" and make sure
he see's the $10 bill you'll tip him.

this has worked for me dozens of times...even when checking in at the
counter.

So you bitch and moan about Dave Fuentes stealing your prize money from
Superweek, but you believe it is acceptable to steal from and lie to
the airlines?

"That's different."

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 18th 05, 03:43 PM
Tom Kunich

All what you say about airlines is too right! I have completely stopped
flying and will never fly again unless there is no other way to get
somewhere. Being treated like cattle would be a step up in most cases
today.

Old August 18th 05, 03:55 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article qtRMe.60904$E95.12393@fed1read01, says...

I bought a bike case and am taking a trip. Do they charge extra to take the
bike?

If they know it is a bicycle, yes they will charge you quite a bit extra. Even
if you have no other luggage.
----------------
Alex

Old August 18th 05, 04:44 PM
Robert Clark

hol99 wrote:
I bought a bike case and am taking a trip. Do they charge extra to take the
bike?

Dave

Research in detail the actual policy of the airline you will be using
(should be available on their website.) Note that international tariff
regulations mean that there will usually be differnt rules for domestic
vs. international flights.

Then, make a print-out of the actual policy of that airline, and take it
with you in hand when you actually check-in at the airport. Not
surprisingly, ill-informed counter staff may insist that bikes can't be
carried / accrue excess baggage costs / etc., when their actual policies
may be quite different. It helps to be able to show them a copy of
their own policy.

If you Google-around a bit, there are some web-sites out there precisely
about travel with bicycles on airlines - reports of people's
experiences, airline policies, all that stuff.

Rob.
Old August 18th 05, 06:11 PM
Andrew F Martin

I made 1K (100 flight miles) last year on UAL without any incidents of
lost anything. I flew with my bike a number of times - but I have a
big team and people are friendly enough to pass on un-used vouchers.
Once you hit 1K, they usually waive the fee, unless you run against a
rules nazi.

Old August 18th 05, 07:18 PM
trg

"Robert Clark" a écrit dans le message
de ...
hol99 wrote:
[...]

Actually, even better is if you can find the FAA regs whicj are often more
favorable than the airlines policies.

Old August 18th 05, 08:33 PM
Carl Hagenmaier

A quick summary from four airlines web sites...

Southwest:
Non-motorized Bicycles, including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, will be accepted
as checked baggage at no additional charge provided the limit of three
checked bags is not exceeded; the bicycle is properly packaged; and the box
containing the bicycle fits within the 62-inch sizing limit and weighs 50
lbs or under. The handlebars, kickstand, and pedals must be removed and
placed inside the box. A $50.00 each-way charge applies to bicycles that don't
meet the above criteria. Bicycles packaged in a cardboard box or soft-sided
case will be transported as a conditionally accepted item.

United
$80 within US/Canada limit 50 pounds 62 linear inches

American (I think this is domestic only)
$80
Exception: If bicycle and container are less than 62 dimensional inches and
under 50 lbs., the bike is free in place of one 62 inch bag in the free
allowance.

Delta
Any bicycle presented in a box with overall dimensions not exceeding 62" or
157.5cm (length + height + width) and checked in lieu of one bag is
accepted. Bicycles exceeding 62" are subject to charge. A $100 fee applies
for each checked bicycle [Note: this is somewhat ambiguous. I ASSUME the
$100 fee is the charge for exceeding 62"]

--
Carl

Old August 19th 05, 12:54 AM
Carl Hagenmaier

I must apologize for my earlier post, which might be read as suggesting that
many airlines will carry bicycles without charge. This is true, short of.
I did some web searching and was unable to find a bike shipping container
(for a conventional bike) within the 62" linear dimension constraint.
--
Carl

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 02:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM