Bikes on Airplanes.

Old August 19th 05, 01:52 AM
Philip Holman

Default Bikes on Airplanes.

"trg" wrote in message
"Robert Clark" a écrit dans le
message
de ...
hol99 wrote:
I bought a bike case and am taking a trip. Do they charge extra to
take

the
bike?

Dave

Research in detail the actual policy of the airline you will be using
(should be available on their website.) Note that international
tariff
regulations mean that there will usually be differnt rules for
domestic
vs. international flights.

Then, make a print-out of the actual policy of that airline, and take
it
with you in hand when you actually check-in at the airport. Not
surprisingly, ill-informed counter staff may insist that bikes can't
be
carried / accrue excess baggage costs / etc., when their actual
policies
may be quite different. It helps to be able to show them a copy of
their own policy.

If you Google-around a bit, there are some web-sites out there
precisely
about travel with bicycles on airlines - reports of people's
experiences, airline policies, all that stuff.

Rob.

Actually, even better is if you can find the FAA regs whicj are often
more
favorable than the airlines policies.

Ah yes, here it is in the Federal Airworthy Regulations.....FAR 25.14
section c. Airlines must charge for carrying a bicycle on a commercial
airplane. After all, they are trying to run a business and the
additional handling requires extra airline personnel. Prospective
passengers are free to make their own travel arrangements of course, or
god forbid, they could even drive to their destination. For regulations
on bringing a stripped down frame on board in a garment bag see FAR
fetched 4Q2.

Phil H

Old August 19th 05, 02:00 AM
hol99

"Andrew F Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...
more information...

where are you going?
where are you starting from?

In the US - yes. $60-80 on most airlines. If you are a licensed USCF
Member you can get 2 vouchers for United.

I checked it out with Northwest. $80 each way. What a rip!!! Be better off
to try and rent one there.

Dave

Old August 19th 05, 03:26 AM

so why does the guy get to take his golf clubs and
9 foot surfboard free of charge, I asked and they just smile
that crazy airline service worker smile and repeat the same
thing "all bicycles are charged $80 blah blah"
I waited tables and retail for a few years and never dreamed
of treating customers that way, it's like
the airlines just don't care how much they **** you off,
and I'm talking about layovers, missed flights, overbooking,
all that stuff too. They train the employees to give you
that forced mock sympathy - when really you can tell
they just loathe their customers and don't give a ****.
The whole idea is they have you by the balls, they know
you need to fly because driving across the USA takes
too long so they treat you like dirt. Unless you are wealthy
enough to go first class - and this starts a whole new
rant:
the retards who think they are real shrewd because they
use a frequent flyer card and get some free trips or bumped
to first - so you fly like chickens on Ghana Air 75 times a year,
packed together with other drooling execuzombies on
their way to Toledo for a shower curtain ring convention,
then you earn the privledge of being able to spread your legs
out and get treated like a human being for once on vacation.
ALL passengers should be treated like first class passengers -
the flight attendents act like economy is cargo -
"oh don't mind the unwashed masses back there licking condensation
off the window for sustenence, we have that curtain drawn
securely to protect your from their bodily fumes, here's another free
mimosa."
Then they might throw you a bag of peanuts and half a can of
sprite if you're lucky...man I hate airlines so bad, and the sick
thing is they are one of those industries that gets rewarded by
the government for poor performance and inefficiency -
oh poor airlines need a few billion to keep them afloat, ok...
no, if you can't make a profit you go bankrupt, period. You sell
off the jets and the CEOs should go rot in palm springs ashamed
of the mess they made of an entire industry.
9/11, gas prices, they always have excuses when the
reason many people don't fly anymore is because it's just this
horrible sweaty experience, yeah you get there FAST, but
your traumatized, shaky, dehydrated, hypoglycemic and
you have low self esteem from being treated like **** by
people who serve peanuts and smile woodenly for a living.
You get a glimpse of the first class people and you think,
"man if only I could spare an extra 3 grand for a 3 hour flight,
I could be treated like a real human being with dignity and
food and water too."

Old August 19th 05, 03:37 AM

I must apologize for my earlier post, which might be read as suggesting
that
many airlines will carry bicycles without charge. This is true, short
of.
I did some web searching and was unable to find a bike shipping
container
(for a conventional bike) within the 62" linear dimension constraint.
--
Carl

yeah if you ride a 25cm frame with 4cm wheels,
I think those monkey clown bikes might fly free -
airlines make that **** up because they know
it will at least put an end to the issue
"ok fine, yes you can fly with a bike for free if it will fit in
you pocket..ok, understand...good, now give me my $80 biatch!"
you might be able to get a small bike under 85 inches but that
would be really hard, UPS and FEDEX ship up to 108 inches
wihtout a fee (usually at least, they too are money grubbing
*******s that love to screw over customers)
it used to be easy to be slick with the skycabs back in the 90's,
a little tip and away the bike went before you even walked in the
building - those dudes must have made some serious money
doing that stuff.
oh, you can ship a bike to where you are going fedex for about
$20 - 25 if you pack it yourself and drop it off at a large FEDEX hub
dropoff center - don't use the mailboxes etc. type places, they
will rape you harder then they airlines, smiling at you the whole
time...they are all independently owned and have signs that
say "counter rates" they aren't - they lie. They charge at
least %30 more.
get a box from behind the bike shop, padding around the
rear dropouts and derailluers, wrap the tubes, cardboard
dividers between wheels and frame, wrap stem and handlebars.
takes at least three days though, so won't work for racing.

Old August 19th 05, 05:46 AM
Philip Holman

wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Nice rant but get what you pay for. Joe public goes for low ticket price
and with that comes low quality service.

Phil H

Old August 19th 05, 07:15 AM
Michael Press

In article
. com,
wrote:

trg wrote:

BTW, some airlines may refuse to take your bike on the same flight that
you're on if you don't inform them in advance that you've got a bike as
luggage.

all airlines will screw you over and treat you like cattle regardless,
I used to tell them I was a tortured artist, and my bike box were my
precious paintings,
and that worked almost %100 for a few years, but then I started getting
nailed with those $75 fees, back when $75 was some serious smack to me,

airlines suck, like the south park where the gay teacher dude invents
a rolling machine that will get you anywhere as fast as flying, only
you have to get orally and anally raped by a huge metal phallic device
- but people were like "hey's it's better than flying"
Fat lady next to you, baby crying, and those annoying condescending
flight attendents, talking to you like you're a retarded 5 year old,
I haven't flown in 3 years now, my last flight from sf to abq
had like 8 people on it, and the government just keeps giving those
airlines the corporate welfare to keep their bloated, inefficient,
corporate strucutures intact so the CEO's can get 50 million dollar
bonuses
for only posting a %14 loss on the quarter -
you pay for this treatment? dude brings his golf clubs, his 14 foot
longboard surfboard (yes I've seen this) and there is NO CHARGE...
you bring a bike, packed in a case, under 100 inches cubic, and you get
to pay them an additional $75. Half the freaking airplane is EMPTY, and
you still pay, because they are greedy corporate welfare *******s.
I don't know why they single out bikes, but they do, I think it's just
the idea of being able to bring an alternative form of transportation
on a plane is offensive to them...

-- Will you be quiet please.
-- And sending tinted postcards of places they don't know
they haven't even visited, 'to all at number 22, weather
wonderful our room is marked with an "X". Wish you were
here.'
--Shut up.
-- 'Food very greasy but we have managed to find this
marvelous little place hidden away in the back streets.'
-- Shut up!
-- '... crisps and the accordionist plays 'Maybe its
because I'm a Londoner"' and spending four days on the
tarmac at Lutton airport on a five-day package tour with
nothing to eat but dried Watney's sandwiches...

--
Michael Press
Old August 19th 05, 07:30 AM
trg

"Carl Hagenmaier" a écrit dans le
message de m...
A quick summary from four airlines web sites...

Southwest:
Non-motorized Bicycles, including Bike Friday and Co-Pilot, will be

accepted
as checked baggage at no additional charge provided the limit of three
checked bags is not exceeded; the bicycle is properly packaged; and the

box
containing the bicycle fits within the 62-inch sizing limit and weighs 50
lbs or under. The handlebars, kickstand, and pedals must be removed and
placed inside the box. A $50.00 each-way charge applies to bicycles that

don't
meet the above criteria. Bicycles packaged in a cardboard box or

soft-sided
case will be transported as a conditionally accepted item.

United
$80 within US/Canada limit 50 pounds 62 linear inches

American (I think this is domestic only)
$80
Exception: If bicycle and container are less than 62 dimensional inches

and
under 50 lbs., the bike is free in place of one 62 inch bag in the free
allowance.

Delta
Any bicycle presented in a box with overall dimensions not exceeding 62"

or
157.5cm (length + height + width) and checked in lieu of one bag is
accepted. Bicycles exceeding 62" are subject to charge. A $100 fee applies
for each checked bicycle [Note: this is somewhat ambiguous. I ASSUME

the
$100 fee is the charge for exceeding 62"]

--
Carl

The only sure way around the 62 inch rule is
1) a folding bike
2) package the wheels separately and maybe remove the fork as well. Then get
creative on the box you put the frame into.

Old August 19th 05, 08:09 AM

yeah you're right, i've heard stories about flying in the 50's and
60's, everyone was treated like a king, and it was more expensive.
I flew when I was a kid in the 70's and remember
it was much different than today.
the low ticket prices explains the getting stuffed into little seats,
but
some of the stuff I talked about - treating customers with
some respect - is pretty much free right?
Just a sign of the times I guess, phone company, airlines,
energy companies - they all treat their customers like ****
and employ some of the most monosyllabic retards I've
ever met. monopoly mentality.
I'll stop, I don't even fly anymore, who cares.
but don't pay that insane $80, lie cheat or use
fedex.

Old August 19th 05, 08:14 AM
trg

"hol99" a écrit dans le message de
I bought a bike case and am taking a trip. Do they charge extra to take

the
bike?

Dave

Check out the definitive travelling with your bike site-

http://www.gfonline.org/bikeaccess/Default.cfm?Index

Old August 19th 05, 10:05 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:30:48 +0200, trg wrote:
The only sure way around the 62 inch rule is
1) a folding bike
2) package the wheels separately and maybe remove the fork as well. Then get
creative on the box you put the frame into.

Huh, 1.57 m? Wheel base is typically 1 m or a bit over. I say remove the
front wheel (fits easily next to the frame in the box) and you're done.

--
E. Dronkert

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 02:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM