Bikes on Airplanes.

Old August 19th 05, 01:06 PM
Steven L. Sheffield

Default Bikes on Airplanes.

On 08/19/2005 03:05 AM, in article
, "Ewoud Dronkert"
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:30:48 +0200, trg wrote:
The only sure way around the 62 inch rule is
1) a folding bike
2) package the wheels separately and maybe remove the fork as well. Then get
creative on the box you put the frame into.

Huh, 1.57 m? Wheel base is typically 1 m or a bit over. I say remove the
front wheel (fits easily next to the frame in the box) and you're done.

In the US, when they measure "linear" size of a box, they measure length,
width, and height, and add them together.

A typical bike box is 45 x 30 x 11 ... Or 86 linear inches.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Old August 19th 05, 01:42 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:06:12 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
In the US, when they measure "linear" size of a box, they measure length,
width, and height, and add them together.

Oh geez, I had no idea.

--
E. Dronkert
Old August 19th 05, 03:33 PM
Philo

so why does the guy get to take his golf clubs and
9 foot surfboard free of charge

I wouldn't mind paying the extra charge *quite* so much if I didn't
have to sign that stupid waiver that says "We can break your bike if we
want to and you can't do anything about it. Your risk."

Old August 19th 05, 05:49 PM
Jim Flom

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Carl Sundquist" wrote:

crit pro wrote:

it's a ripoff...make sure your case doesn't say "bike" anywhere on it,
dress nice and tell the skycap it's a "display for work" and make sure
he see's the $10 bill you'll tip him.

this has worked for me dozens of times...even when checking in at the
counter.

So you bitch and moan about Dave Fuentes stealing your prize money from
Superweek, but you believe it is acceptable to steal from and lie to
the airlines?

"That's different."

What if he calls it "exercise equipment?"

Old August 19th 05, 09:25 PM
Stu Fleming

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:06:12 GMT, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

In the US, when they measure "linear" size of a box, they measure length,
width, and height, and add them together.

Oh geez, I had no idea.

I had an interesting conversation with the United rep in LA about measurements
like this. I think we ended up agreeing t6hat it had to be the longest
dimension because of the obvious inconsistency of measuring male genitalia.

--
IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz
Old August 20th 05, 03:54 PM
Philip Holman

yeah you get there FAST, but
your traumatized, shaky, dehydrated, hypoglycemic and

787 cabin altitude will be equivalent to 6000' which will be a huge
improvement. Currently on most, if not all commercial airplanes it's
8000', an elevation where a lot of people get altitude sickness and most
of us feel like crap, especially on longer transcontinental flights.

Phil H

Old August 22nd 05, 11:00 AM
Donald Munro

Steven L. Sheffield wrote:
In the US, when they measure "linear" size of a box, they measure length,
width, and height, and add them together.

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Oh geez, I had no idea.

Stu Fleming wrote:
I had an interesting conversation with the United rep in LA about measurements
like this. I think we ended up agreeing t6hat it had to be the longest
dimension because of the obvious inconsistency of measuring male genitalia.

The doughnut theory of spatial dimensionality revisited.

Old August 22nd 05, 11:55 PM

crit pro wrote:
In article .com,
"Andrew F Martin" wrote:

more information...

where are you going?
where are you starting from?

In the US - yes. $60-80 on most airlines. If you are a licensed USCF
Member you can get 2 vouchers for United.

it's a ripoff...make sure your case doesn't say "bike" anywhere on it,
dress nice and tell the skycap it's a "display for work" and make sure
he see's the $10 bill you'll tip him.

this has worked for me dozens of times...even when checking in at the
counter.

Seems like someone hasn't checked their hypocrisy meter lately.
To wit, I quote you:
"2001 saw Joey fly over 60,000 miles on Delta. He had no problem
bragging about cheating them out of $80 for bike fees each flight.
Here's what Joey said, that he had a non-descript bike bag, and that
the $80 fee is If They Know It's A Bike. Looking for a cheating way
around the system. That is stealing. "

Been caught stealing?
Frank

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 01:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM