Fun with exponents

Old May 25th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Fun with exponents

On Sun, 24 May 2020 18:06:28 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

If you're into data visualization, there's plenty mo
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/data-visualization.htm

Sorry, wrong URL. Here are 19,135 Covid-19 graphical visualizations
from Tableau.com:
https://public.tableau.com/en-us/s/covid-19-viz-gallery

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 25th 20, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 24 May 2020 18:24:19 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Sun, 24 May 2020 01:03:38 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2020 11:38:17 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Around here, log-log paper is so common that it grows on trees.

FWIW, I recently discovered that our new printer, a Canon TS9565, will,
amongst other patterns, print graph paper on demand. No Log or Log
paper,
now have I been able to discover how to insert it ino the pattern
templates.

Cool. Will the printer do Smith Charts, navigation plotting sheets, or
official NRA targets?

The short answer is yes, if you have a file for them. I suggest postscrit
is more versatile.. This isn't the first printer where you could print
from templates. I first encontered that ability with the early last
printers, where some brands had capacity for an add-on ard disk that
could store form templates.

Those are the few graphs that I print on my color
laser printer. I have PDF and JPG images of all of these, but it would
be nice to have it built into the printer,

that is te convenience of this printer, but I havent been able to find
out how to install my own templates, although this one will take a
SDCard, as per camera photo printing) so I imagine that putting your
files onto an SDcard would give you the same facility.

especially when trying to
convince the printer to emulate an HP-GL plotter.

At one stage I had both an A0 & A3 HP pen plotters and was fiddling with
a programe to convert postscript files to HP-GL. The A0 plotter died when
MS dropped HP-GL from their drivers and the only drivers were for inkjet
large format. Driving a pen plotter like an inkjet was disasterous on the
horizontal drive belt, not to mention printing time.

Bicycle content; not riding today as BoM is recording 24 knot wind
gusts.

Sometime in the next two weeks, I plan to "consolidate" my bicycle parts
and pieces collection into some arrangement where I can actually find
things. When moving things around last week, I overloaded my plastic
toolbox, which dumped all the parts on the floor when the toolbox handle
broke and fell off.

That is the problem with plastic, it has a definite shortish life and
dropping a plastic tub full of bicycle bits can usually result in
sweeping up plastic bits with the parts.
Old May 25th 20, 08:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2020 14:01:05 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
In today's news:

https://cyclingindustry.news/third-o...ds-cycling-uk/

Which could happen, But it won't.

You missed next day's science!
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/05/23/leaving-hand-sanitizer-in-hot-vehicles-a-fire-risk/
Executive summary: Car drivers and passengers will all die in exploding
cars or, alternatively, due to evaporation rendering their hand sanitizers
ineffective.

Strange thing. We've had a plastic tube of hand sanitizer (with a
screw on cap) in the car ever since the virus boogy hit town. In fact
several tubes. and so far not a single one has detonated :-)

Toronto is less humid, that's why. Try a lighter!
(Caution! According to Maedup Statistics Inc., Zippo lighters were the
previous #1 cause of global VOC emissions.)

Are we buying the wrong sort of sanitizer?

Possibly. Does the warning label depict a dead tree, a flame, or a spicy
chilli pepper dish?
Old May 25th 20, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:36:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I will offer you proof positive that the covid-19 pandemic is
a hoax. The total death rate in the USA is 95% of normal. If
we are having all these additional deaths from this great
disease where are they?

On this animated graph perhaps.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/images/us-mortality-graph-animated-may72020.gif

That one is particularly awful because it's strictly displaying percentages
of document entries cyclintom does not believe. I hope you aren't trying to
raise anyone's blood pressure like Frank who stubbornly links anti-Trump
biased media right after cyclintom was ranting about them.

If you're into data visualization, there's plenty mo

https://public.tableau.com/en-us/s/covid-19-viz-gallery
[fixed link inserted]

Probably overwhelming cyclintom's remaining information evaluation capabilities.

Hmmm, at least one seems personally useful to me,
https://public.tableau.com/profile/yuzo.tokutani#!/vizhome/Covid19-Chiba/sheet0
I imagine it shows the virus count on my Chiba pair of cycling gloves,
washed only occasionally.

You can argue that we are having...

No, you can do the arguing. You said you would offer positive proof
that the pandemic is a hoax. You provided to percentages that appear
to have been contrived for the occasion. If you want to prove
anything, such things like numbers, calculations, sources,
authoritative backup, examples, etc are considered useful. I won't
ask for error analysis or statistical significance because most of the
source data (provided by the states) has been tampered with.

Has Fauxi also tampered with data from Europe?

AT
https://www.statistik.at/web_en/statistics/PeopleSociety/population/deaths/122945.html
https://www.statistik.at/web_en/press/123052.html

BE
https://statbel.fgov.be/en/visuals/mortality

CH
https://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/en/home/statistics/health/state-health/mortality-causes-death.html

DE
https://www.destatis.de/EN/Press/202...179_12621.html

ES
https://www.isciii.es/QueHacemos/Servicios/VigilanciaSaludPublicaRENAVE/EnfermedadesTransmisibles/MoMo/Documents/informesMoMo2020/MoMo_Situacion%20a%2021%20de%20mayo_CNE.pdf

FR
https://www.insee.fr/en/statistiques...mmaire=4493845

NL
https://www.cbs.nl/en-gb/reeksen/mortality-per-week

NO
https://www.ssb.no/en/statbank/table/12954

SE
https://www.scb.se/en/finding-statistics/statistics-by-subject-area/population/population-composition/population-statistics/pong/tables-and-graphs/preliminary-statistics-on-deaths/

UK
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending8may2020#deaths-registered-by-week

--
https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/international-news/disease/covid-19-rules-applied-to-driving/
Old May 25th 20, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Standard design warning labels have a skull and crossbones,
which instantly conveys to the user, "Completely harmless,
just another government warning requirement"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 25th 20, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/24/2020 9:24 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I play piano and keyboard synthesizer, but somewhere along the line, I
forgot to learn how to read music. So, I play by ear and don't need
music paper.

I play by ear too, but I find that sheet music is a useful resource, if
only for reminders of how a tune starts. Give me the first measure or
two (the "incipits") and I'm good to go on many, many tunes. But I have
"the dots" for hundreds stored in an app on my phone. I'm a competent
reader.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 25th 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 25.05.2020 um 18:09 schrieb Frank Krygowski:
On 5/24/2020 9:24 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I play piano and keyboard synthesizer, but somewhere along the line, I
forgot to learn how to read music.Â* So, I play by ear and don't need
music paper.

I play by ear too, but I find that sheet music is a useful resource, if
only for reminders of how a tune starts. Give me the first measure or
two (the "incipits") and I'm good to go on many, many tunes. But I have
"the dots" for hundreds stored in an app on my phone. I'm a competent
reader.

As a kid, I played "real" piano pieces, not just tues, all off by heart
(once I'd learned them). After a break of a few years (after losing my
music scores at some relocation) I found I could start and play the
first bits, sometimes three bars, sometimes five pages.

Then I needed to find the scores on the internet, and looking at the
paper allowed my to re-learn the easier ones quite quickly, the one I
failed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iky27JBcAbE showed me my brain
capacity is not infinite (my son is playing that one now, as a school
kid he can still learn this large number of notes in a few days).
Old May 25th 20, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 25 May 2020 12:16:21 +0200, Sepp Ruf
wrote:

If you're into data visualization, there's plenty mo

https://public.tableau.com/en-us/s/covid-19-viz-gallery
[fixed link inserted]

Thanks. If the quality of the visualization is insufficient, perhaps
the quantity will provide a usable substitute.

Hmmm, at least one seems personally useful to me,
https://public.tableau.com/profile/yuzo.tokutani#!/vizhome/Covid19-Chiba/sheet0
I imagine it shows the virus count on my Chiba pair of cycling gloves,
washed only occasionally.

Google translate couldn't do anything with the Japanese GIF file but
did successfully translate the URL in the lower left corner. You're
probably ok if you wash your gloves in diluted Clorox. Gloves are
useful to prevent you from touching your face.

Has Fauxi also tampered with data from Europe?

Not that I know about. However, since everyone is ignoring CDC, WHO,
and Trump administration guidelines for cause of death and how to
count infections, active infections, and deaths, I suppose it's
possible. These days, anyone with a computah can be an
epidemiologist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/
The government’s disease-fighting agency is conflating
viral and antibody tests, compromising a few crucial metrics
that governors depend on to reopen their economies.
Pennsylvania, Georgia, Texas, and other states are doing
the same.
Despite the CDC admitting that it made a giant blunder that was
unlikely to have been accidental, I'm not seeing any evidence of the
numbers being unscrambled.

This is a month old, but seems to still be a problem:
"Why America is probably undercounting coronavirus deaths"
https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/04/20/covid-count

"How COVID-19 Deaths Are Counted"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted1/
Assigning a cause of death is never straightforward, but
data on excess deaths suggest coronavirus death tolls
are likely an underestimate.

Nice list of mortality rates in Europe. It will be interesting
reading.

Old May 25th 20, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 25 May 2020 12:09:29 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/24/2020 9:24 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I play piano and keyboard synthesizer, but somewhere along the line, I
forgot to learn how to read music. So, I play by ear and don't need
music paper.

I play by ear too, but I find that sheet music is a useful resource, if
only for reminders of how a tune starts. Give me the first measure or
two (the "incipits") and I'm good to go on many, many tunes. But I have
"the dots" for hundreds stored in an app on my phone. I'm a competent
reader.

That doesn't work for the way my brain is wired. I simply can't go
from sheet music to keyboard without fumbling. Sight reading is a
lost cause for me. I gave up long ago. I'm also not very good at
hearing a tune, and then playing it, although I can eventually manage
to play something that vaguely resembles the original. Worse, I
rarely play anything twice the same way, which allows me considerable
creative license, complete with mistakes and failed experiments. So,
I'm relegated to perpetual improvisation, which doesn't really require
sheet music. Judge for yourself (and try to ignore my numerous
mistakes):
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/music/

Korg DSS-1 repair:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/Korg_DSS-1/

I just dug through the manual on my HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fnw
printer and couldn't find anything under the usual buzzwords
(template, overlay, form, watermark, background, etc). Thanks for the
clues and I'll do some more digging when I have more time.