Dozy driver hit cyclist in bright orange in Hull

Old May 12th 20, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Dozy driver hit cyclist in bright orange in Hull

How bright does your clothing have to be to get noticed?
QUOTE:
A nasty collision between a van and a bike which sent a cyclist flying has sparked huge debate online over who was at fault.

Dashcam footage of the crash, which took place at the Stoneferry Roundabout in Hull yesterday, has been the subject of much debate since being uploaded on social media.

The video begins by showing the cyclist, wearing bright orange, riding around the junction and taking the exit in front of the recording car. However, as he cycles past, a van in the lane next to the cam car apparently does not see him and continues to drive ahead.

The cyclist is hit in the side by the van and sent flying into the road.

Meanwhile, van's registration plate is seen bouncing along the tarmac, having been torn off during the impact.

The cyclist rolls on the ground before managing to right himself and stand up.

The van driver is then seen getting out of his vehicle to help assist him.

The crash comes amid a government drive to get more people cycling as Britain eases itself out of lockdown. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps last week announced a £2billion funding package to encourage people to get on their bikes once restrictions are loosened, claiming the aim was to relax the strain on public transport, which will only run at a tenth of pre-lockdown capacity because of social distancing rules.

Yet the proposal hit the buffers straight away as workers claimed it is impractical - and even potentially perilous for novice cyclists navigating busy city roads.

The dramatic scene in East Yorkshire was uploaded to Facebook by Billy White last night captioned: 'Stop, drop and roll at Burger king Roundabout Hull.. Don't drive on your phone kids.'

However, after being viewed more than 130,000 times in 24 hours, opinion was split among those commenting on the post.

One viewer wrote: 'As annoying as cyclists are, this one is not at fault. The (clearly blind) van driver hit him because he wasn't paying attention.

'The lorry saw him so why didn't the van? Anyone blaming the cyclist needs to give their head a wobble.'

Another, with an opposing view, claimed: 'I'd be suing the bike he took the van's reg off.'

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html
Old May 13th 20, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:03:09 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html

The police are now investigating this collision.
Old May 13th 20, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 13/05/2020 15:44, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:03:09 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html

The police are now investigating this collision.

For once, Simon posts something accurate and sensible.

Subject to the usual rules on commentary, that looks like an open and
shut case of failing to accord precedence to traffic already on the
roundabout.
Old May 13th 20, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:03:09 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such
bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot
and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html

The police are now investigating this collision.

Yeah. I'm sure that the police will be real interested in another silly
cyclist falling of a silly bicycle.

Old May 13th 20, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 4:27:03 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:03:09 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such
bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot
and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html

The police are now investigating this collision.

Yeah. I'm sure that the police will be real interested in another silly
cyclist falling of a silly bicycle.

He didn't fall "of" (sic)

He was on a roundabout and was knocked off by some dozy van driver who couldn't see a cyclist in a bright orange jersey. Clear cut case of driving without due care.
Old May 14th 20, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 14/05/2020 03:26, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
silly
cyclist

Thanks greatly for that EXCELLENT compliment cumming from YOU.
Especially as it cums from YOU.
Now please ejaculate to me from YOU the further honour of having bad breath.

It really is a very great compliment to be called a silly bicyclist by YOU.
Especially by YOU.
And I have no ****ing interest in looking good in YOUR eyes.
After all I ride a bicycle, a very convenient delightful economical
viable means of transport.
And we all know what YOU think of bicyclists. You think they are the
****witted pits of humanity.
And because it is YOU who think that, that is an extremely great
compliment.
We must be doing something right.
Old May 14th 20, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:03:09 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such
bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot
and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html

The police are now investigating this collision.

Yeah. I'm sure that the police will be real interested in another silly
cyclist falling of a silly bicycle.

He didn't fall "of" (sic)

He was on a roundabout and was knocked off by some dozy van driver who couldn't see a cyclist in a bright orange jersey. Clear cut case of driving without due care.

Like the driver, Pounder is blind.
Old May 14th 20, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

QUOTE:
Shocking footage of a van hitting a cyclist on a roundabout was captured by dashcam footage, with insult being added to injury after the Daily Mail newpspaper questioned which party was at fault.

In the video, filmed by a vehicle to the left of the van in question, the cyclist can be seen in the right-hand side of the screen circumnavigating the Stoneferry Road roundabout in Hull.

As the vehicle filming comes to a stop to give way to his right, a black van in the lane next to him ploughs through, luckily only clipping the back wheel of the cyclist before braking to a halt, the collision could have been much worse.

The van’s number plate comes flying off as the cyclist hits the deck, getting back to his feet and picking up his bike. The driver of the van then walks over, holding his hand up in apology, helping the cyclist gingerly make his way off the road, picking up his number plate along the way.

The video was picked up by the Daily Mail, who rather succinctly headlined their piece: “Moment cyclist is left sprawled on the floor after crashing with a van as he tried to take the exit at a roundabout… but who is in the wrong?”

Luckily, the Highway Code makes it pretty clear that the van should have given way to the cyclist who was already on the roundabout coming from his right but, if they’d somehow missed that information, hundreds of people were on hand in the comments section to give them a quick refresher course.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...e-wrong-455971

Old May 15th 20, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 16:12:41 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 13/05/2020 15:44, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:03:09 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html

The police are now investigating this collision.

For once, Simon posts something accurate and sensible.

Is it possible for you to post a comment without having a dig at cyclists?

Subject to the usual rules on commentary, that looks like an open and
shut case of failing to accord precedence to traffic already on the
roundabout.

Agreed, 100% drivers fault but if I was the cyclist I would not involve the Police. People make mistakes and there was no malice by the driver.
I almost wiped out a motorcyclist the other day, I needed to change lanes so I checked my door mirror and looked over my shoulder, thinking it was clear I moved into the lane only to admonished by a motorcyclist. Reviewing the dashcam footage it was my fault but I really did not see the motorcyclist and I will try and learn from my mistake.

Dozy i-pod zombie gets hit by cyclist Alycidon UK 8 November 27th 15 11:16 AM
Hull cyclist sent home to get his dad Mrcheerful UK 18 December 23rd 13 07:25 PM
Cyclist problems in Hull Simon Mason[_4_] UK 10 May 16th 11 05:56 PM
Cyclist problems in Hull Marie UK 31 May 15th 11 04:29 PM
Cyclist problems in Hull Simon Mason[_4_] UK 0 May 15th 11 12:00 PM