Dozy driver hit cyclist in bright orange in Hull

Old May 15th 20, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Dozy driver hit cyclist in bright orange in Hull

On 15/05/2020 09:31, Mike Collins wrote:
On Wednesday, 13 May 2020 16:12:41 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 13/05/2020 15:44, Simon Mason wrote:

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 6:03:09 PM UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:

Some questioned how the driver could have missed the cyclist in such bright-coloured clothing, as others argued he was in his blindspot and couldn't have seen him. (SHOULDN'T HAVE PROCEEDED THEN - SM)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...van-wrong.html

The police are now investigating this collision.

For once, Simon posts something accurate and sensible.

Is it possible for you to post a comment without having a dig at cyclists?

Would there be any point in pretending that SM is usually some sort of
font of wisdom and accurate information?

The fact that he isn't emphasises the truth of this report.

Subject to the usual rules on commentary, that looks like an open and
shut case of failing to accord precedence to traffic already on the
roundabout.

Agreed, 100% drivers fault but if I was the cyclist I would not involve the Police. People make mistakes and there was no malice by the driver.

That doesn't mean that he would avoid liability in the civil sense or
prosecution in the Road Traffic Act sense.

I almost wiped out a motorcyclist the other day, I needed to change lanes so I checked my door mirror and looked over my shoulder, thinking it was clear I moved into the lane only to admonished by a motorcyclist. Reviewing the dashcam footage it was my fault but I really did not see the motorcyclist and I will try and learn from my mistake.

You didn't hit him (or move so without warning that he could not avoid
hitting you), then? There's the difference.

Old May 15th 20, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/05/2020 09:31, Mike Collins wrote:

Agreed, 100% drivers fault but if I was the cyclist I would not
involve the Police.

This would be a fender bender to someone in a car but injury should be
reported, if only to contribute to the statistics.

People make mistakes and there was no malice by the driver. I almost
wiped out a motorcyclist the other day, I needed to change lanes so
I checked my door mirror and looked over my shoulder, thinking it was
clear I moved into the lane only to admonished by a motorcyclist.

Though you obviously didn't leave the rider lying in the gutter. It
rather depends on whether the admonishment was "I am offended by your
presence", "you dozy twit" or "other than by a hair's breadth it could
have been my life". Presumably it was a two lane road? The space gives a
motorcyclist much more time to deal with it than a cyclist squeezed
into the kerb.

Reviewing the dashcam footage it was my fault but I really did not
see the motorcyclist and I will try and learn from my mistake.

It's always interesting to review things in slow time. Even routine
stuff because there is always something going on in the periphery.

Old May 15th 20, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 9:31:24 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Agreed, 100% drivers fault but if I was the cyclist I would not involve the Police. People make mistakes and there was no malice by the driver.

If the cyclist was injured, which looked likely, he HAS to report the collision by law as does the driver who hit him.

Old May 15th 20, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Friday, 15 May 2020 17:47:38 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 9:31:24 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Agreed, 100% drivers fault but if I was the cyclist I would not involve the Police. People make mistakes and there was no malice by the driver.

If the cyclist was injured, which looked likely, he HAS to report the collision by law as does the driver who hit him.

Maybe, but who is to know. Many years ago I witnessed a car hit a pedestrian. The pedestrian was crossing against the light on a Pelicon and the car came around the roundabout far too fast and clipped the back of the peds ankle. The ped was shocked but not injured and i persuaded him to let the driver give him a lift home rather than spend hours in A&E and all was well.

Old May 15th 20, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 9:18:57 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:
On Friday, 15 May 2020 17:47:38 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 9:31:24 AM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

Agreed, 100% drivers fault but if I was the cyclist I would not involve the Police. People make mistakes and there was no malice by the driver.

If the cyclist was injured, which looked likely, he HAS to report the collision by law as does the driver who hit him.

Maybe, but who is to know. Many years ago I witnessed a car hit a pedestrian. The pedestrian was crossing against the light on a Pelicon and the car came around the roundabout far too fast and clipped the back of the peds ankle. The ped was shocked but not injured and i persuaded him to let the driver give him a lift home rather than spend hours in A&E and all was well.

I was cycling home from work in 1998, crashed on some diesel on a roundabout and hit my head on the tarmac. The first thing I did was to report it to the nearest police station. They advised me to go to A+E, but I cycled home instead.
Old May 15th 20, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Friday, 15 May 2020 21:24:41 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Do police stations still exist?
Old May 15th 20, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Mike Collins wrote:
[...]

Yes.

Dozy i-pod zombie gets hit by cyclist Alycidon UK 8 November 27th 15 10:16 AM
Hull cyclist sent home to get his dad Mrcheerful UK 18 December 23rd 13 06:25 PM
Cyclist problems in Hull Simon Mason[_4_] UK 10 May 16th 11 05:56 PM
Cyclist problems in Hull Marie UK 31 May 15th 11 04:29 PM
Cyclist problems in Hull Simon Mason[_4_] UK 0 May 15th 11 12:00 PM