Bike security

Old November 15th 06, 05:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Raptor

Default Bike security

johnbond wrote:
Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

Somehow someone manage to nick it! God knows how.

I saved for months for this bike and in the blink of 30 minutes leaving it,
it is gone. Completely miffed.

Question is what can I use to secure my bike ? (when I get another one,
after more savings)

Thanks

My sympathies. I had my dad's cheap bike stolen when I was 16, and that
was enough for me. Someone snagged my seat when I parked another bike in
front of a mall for an hour, but that's the extent of my losses.

I generally do not park my bike in a public area, unless it's in a place
I can keep an eye on it. I don't ride it to work unless I have an
out-of-the-way or secured place indoors to put it. At home, it comes
inside with me, possibly dripping mud or dirt onto my expensive carpet.
The carpet can be cleaned, the bike is much harder to replace.

I'll let a few minutes go by between checks if I've locked it on a
sidewalk, but I frequently don't have a lock. When I park it unlocked, I
release the wheel levers, optionally put a coin in one of the brake
handles (locking the brakes), and put eyes on it every 15 seconds, max.

Just assume that there's someone going to come by capable of picking it
up, throwing it in the back of a truck, and driving off with it. Take
appropriate measures.

Don't leave it unattended in public for any significant amount of time.
Some fairly easily-obtained measures make short work of any lock.

--
Lynn Wallace

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.
Old November 16th 06, 06:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:15:53 -0000, "johnbond" wrote:

Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

Somehow someone manage to nick it! God knows how.

I saved for months for this bike and in the blink of 30 minutes leaving it,
it is gone. Completely miffed.

Consider yourself lucky! You could have been one of the many people
KILLED mountain biking each year. Buy yourself a $25 yard-sale bike
like mine (3-speed, at least one of which actually works), and stick
to pavement.

Question is what can I use to secure my bike ? (when I get another one,
after more savings)

Thanks

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old November 16th 06, 07:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Ride-A-Lot

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Consider yourself lucky! You could have been one of the many people
KILLED mountain biking each year. Buy yourself a $25 yard-sale bike
like mine (3-speed, at least one of which actually works), and stick
to pavement.

Now here's one person I wouldn't share the road with.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old November 16th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej

On Nov 16, 11:42 am, Ride-A-Lot
Now here's one person I wouldn't share the road with.

Most dangerous riding I do is on the streets of San Francisco.

-Beej

Old November 16th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Beej wrote:
On Nov 16, 11:42 am, Ride-A-Lot
Now here's one person I wouldn't share the road with.

Most dangerous riding I do is on the streets of San Francisco.

-Beej

C'mon down and try North Orange County sometime. It's positively
frightening.

JD

Old November 17th 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

Interesting... You try to turn the focus of bike security into another
issue. Do you also advise road cyclists on the dangers of possible injury
and death from riding on the road?
Typically hypocritical.

FA/FS: Bike Security Australia 0 October 14th 06 03:43 AM
Bike rack security Daves General 11 July 8th 05 08:46 PM
Bike security whilst touring. VisionSet UK 15 April 6th 04 10:47 PM
Bike Security Tips Micheal Shoemaker Australia 10 March 13th 04 01:37 AM