The sad sport....

Old January 9th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Default The sad sport....

yeahyeah wrote:

Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

This is a statistical concept that probably varies very much by
location. I've driven many more miles in my life than I've ridden, but
although I've been in a couple of auto accidents at significant speed,
I've never been seriously injured. I've been in a couple of cycling
accidents, and given the relative speeds I've been injured far worse.

It's not the speed that hurts, it's the stopping...

I like that--and entirely true.

I've come to a
sudden stop at 45mph or so into the rear end of a car while driving,
and suffered only a rather large insurance bill. However, coming to a
stop at a mere 2mph off my bike resulted in surgery, a rather nasty
titanium plate in my wrist, and another very large insurance bill.
However, I've successfully hit speeds of nearly 55mph on my bicycle
without injury.

There's no doubt that being surrounded by steel, and with seat belts
and airbags changes the dynamic. (I say this at the risk of awakening
the risk-compensation people).

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old January 10th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Raptor

Callistus Valerius wrote:
While participating in an organized ride, we saw one of the riders in
the front mowed down by a car. The rider was medivaced out with a
helicopter. One rider said he had no chance of making it, another said he
had a good chance of surviving. Will find out tomorrow. We continued on,
all thinking to ourselves, when will our number come up. No laughter, or
show boating, only resignation, that we have all chosen to participate in
the sad sport.

Anyone got a link to the story of the California teacher who was
relaxing in his basement when a sinkhole opened up beneath his house,
smothering him in debris?

--
Lynn Wallace

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.
Old January 10th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 22:43:03 -0700, Raptor
wrote:

Anyone got a link to the story of the California teacher who was
relaxing in his basement when a sinkhole opened up beneath his house,
smothering him in debris?

Fark.com probably does.

--
JT

EZ Sport? MS Recumbent Biking 14 September 3rd 04 12:21 AM
But Is It A Sport? B. Lafferty Racing 9 August 17th 04 06:28 PM