Jef D'Hont

Old March 26th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Jef D'Hont

benjo maso wrote:

Yes, of course, but not quite. I have some grudging admiration for such a
burning detremination. Besides, I understand better Riis' uncompromising
attitude to everything connected to doping in his own team. I always thought
it was rather hypocrite.But it probably isn't. Nobody knows better how
dagnerous and destructive the use of products like epo can be.

There's nothing worse than a reformed whore. That sort of evangelical
behavior, as we've seen repeatedly, often masks behavior of an
entirely different sort.

http://pitch.com/2005-08-18/news/unnatural-selection/

Just the sort of people I want leading a crusade.

Old March 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

Jason Spaceman wrote in
:

What channel was this on? Is this program available online somewhere?

http://www.canvas.be/canvas_master/p...rama_dezeweek/
index.shtml

There's a small play button next to the photograph.

J. Spaceman

Old March 26th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jonathan v.d. Sluis

"benjo maso" wrote in
:

Tonight a program on doping in cycling on Belgian TV. Not very good -
Pound got the opportunity to say all his half-truth with nobody
conradicting him - and almost nothing new (Emma O'Reilly, Landis,
etc.). The only news was what ex-soigneur Jef D'Hont was saying about
his Telekom-years (1996-97). For instance he said that Erik Zabel
refused to take EPO (I think he was the only one). Bjarne Riis was the
exact opposite (surprise, sursprise), but D'Hond also told that once
Riis had a hematocrite level of 64 %! Apparently the nickname "Mister
60 %" doesn't give Riis his due. D'Hond also said that Riis was
suffering from terrible side effects, like some kind of rheumatism,
which was so serious and painful that he hardly move his hands. I
think we all agree that a rider who wanted to win the Tour so badly
that he was willing to suffer like that, risking his life and his
health simultaneously, really deserved to win.

Benjo

I also thought the announcement that Basso rode a Giro while keeping his
hematocrit at a constant level was rather remarkable. The program implied
this is typical of microdosing EPO.
Old March 26th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" wrote in message
.. .
"benjo maso" wrote in
:

[...]

It is also typical of not going to the absolute limit. My hematocrit stays
between 48 and 49 percent pretty evenly regardless of anything else and
unless I'm microdosing on EPO despite my lack of even knowing where I'd buy
it I'd say that a steady hematocrit is the normal case and not the unusual.

Old March 26th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
gym.gravity

On Mar 26, 4:07 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

It is also typical of not going to the absolute limit. My hematocrit stays
between 48 and 49 percent pretty evenly regardless of anything else...

snicker snicker

Old March 26th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mar 26, 1:07 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Jonathan v.d. Sluis" wrote in 96.35...

I also thought the announcement that Basso rode a Giro while keeping his
hematocrit at a constant level was rather remarkable. The program implied
this is typical of microdosing EPO.

It is also typical of not going to the absolute limit. My hematocrit stays
between 48 and 49 percent pretty evenly regardless of anything else and
unless I'm microdosing on EPO despite my lack of even knowing where I'd buy
it I'd say that a steady hematocrit is the normal case and not the unusual.

Okay, so that tells us everything was kosher for the
people who finished the Giro behind you, but we still
don't know whether the riders who finished the Giro
_ahead_ of you were going hard enough to expect that
their hematocrit should have decreased.

It's these subtle points that make the difference
between science and guesswork, you know.

Ben

Old March 26th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As I recall, Basso only went all out on one stage of the Giro and pretty
much controlled the rest of the stages like Lance used to do.

If you are exhausting yourself every day you can expect to see a medical
result, but even the "new and improved" Giro still runs pianissimo most of
the time.

Old March 27th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
benjo maso

"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Tom, the point is that the hematocrit level is usually dropping a few
percent during a gruelling race like the Giro or the Tour. By contrast
Basso's level increased a little (from 42,7 to 43.1 if I'm not mistaken). As
Jonathan said, this seems to be typical of microdosing EPO.

Benjo

Old March 27th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"benjo maso" wrote in message

Tom, the point is that the hematocrit level is usually dropping a few
percent during a gruelling race like the Giro or the Tour. By contrast
Basso's level increased a little (from 42,7 to 43.1 if I'm not mistaken).
As Jonathan said, this seems to be typical of microdosing EPO.

This doesn't seem correct to me Benjo. EPO is a hugely effective hormone.
The human body produces that stuff in microscopic quantities and even
"microdosing" is considerably higher amounts than the body produces.

And as for that change you noted - anyone that believes that they can
measure hematocrit closer than 2% accurately is dreaming. And even that has
a great deal to do with hydration more than anything else.

Old March 27th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"benjo maso" wrote:

[...]

Nobody deserves to win.