how to improve performance?

Old July 29th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hopehope_123

Default how to improve performance?

Hi,

Ä° am 35 yeras old, male. 71kg, 175cm. I regularly run , 4 times
in a week , each run takes about 30-45 min.
2 days ago i have purchased a sport watch that measures heart
rate. According to the calculations , my heart rate range is
between 120 and 157 . But what i realized was , my usual running
tempo sometimes extends the upper limit easily. So in order to
keep my heart rate within these range , i have to run slowly!
What can i do to run at my usual speed and keep my heart rate
within these ranges?
thx
tolga
Old July 29th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

On Jul 29, 5:11Â*pm, hopehope_123 wrote:
Hi,

Ä° am Â*35 yeras old, Â*male. Â*71kg, 175cm. Â*I regularly run , Â*4 Â*times
in a week , each Â*run takes about Â*30-45 Â*min.
2 days ago Â*i have Â*purchased Â*a Â*sport watch Â*that measures Â*heart
rate. Â*According Â*to Â*the Â*calculations Â*, Â*my heart rate range Â*is
between Â*120 and 157 . But Â*what Â* i realized was Â*, Â*my usual running
tempo sometimes extends Â*the upper limit easily. Â*So in order to
keep Â*my Â*heart Â*rate Â*within these Â*range , Â*i have to run slowly!
What Â*can i do Â*to run Â*at my Â*usual Â*speed Â*and Â*keep my heart Â*rate
within these Â*ranges?
thx
tolga

I would switch to cycling.
Old July 29th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

"hopehope_123" wrote in message
Hi,

I am 35 yeras old, male. 71kg, 175cm. I regularly run , 4 times
in a week , each run takes about 30-45 min.
2 days ago i have purchased a sport watch that measures heart
rate. According to the calculations , my heart rate range is
between 120 and 157 . But what i realized was , my usual running
tempo sometimes extends the upper limit easily. So in order to
keep my heart rate within these range , i have to run slowly!
What can i do to run at my usual speed and keep my heart rate
within these ranges?
thx
tolga
************
I would post your question in a running newsgroup like news:rec.running
and not here.

But if you don't like the numbers on the heart rate monitor and you were
doing fine without it, just stop wearing it - problem solved.

-S-

Old July 29th 09, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Jul 29, 4:24*pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"hopehope_123" wrote in message

Hi,

I am *35 yeras old, *male. *71kg, 175cm. *I regularly run , *4 *times
in a week , each *run takes about *30-45 *min.
2 days ago *i have *purchased *a *sport watch *that measures *heart
rate. *According *to *the *calculations *, *my heart rate range *is
between *120 and 157 . But *what * i realized was *, *my usual running
tempo sometimes extends *the upper limit easily. *So in order to
keep *my *heart *rate *within these *range , *i have to run slowly!
What *can i do *to run *at my *usual *speed *and *keep my heart *rate
within these *ranges?
thx
tolga

Tolga

Here's a good link about some of what you may be expereincing.

http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460

You should find someone that could coach you and conduct some lactic
acid tests to help you determine what your sessions should look
like.

It's very dependent on goals, periodization and your current
fitness/

Without having any visibility to what you're doing it's hard to give a
good answer to your questions.

If you have a polar rs400 and foot pod (or better) and are
downloading your sessions I could look at them for you.

Place environmental data in the notes my email should be visible.
Old July 29th 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
someone

On 29 July, 22:11, hopehope_123 wrote:
Hi,

Ä° am Â*35 yeras old, Â*male. Â*71kg, 175cm. Â*I regularly run , Â*4 Â*times
in a week , each Â*run takes about Â*30-45 Â*min.
2 days ago Â*i have Â*purchased Â*a Â*sport watch Â*that measures Â*heart
rate. Â*According Â*to Â*the Â*calculations Â*, Â*my heart rate range Â*is
between Â*120 and 157 . But Â*what Â* i realized was Â*, Â*my usual running
tempo sometimes extends Â*the upper limit easily. Â*So in order to
keep Â*my Â*heart Â*rate Â*within these Â*range , Â*i have to run slowly!
What Â*can i do Â*to run Â*at my Â*usual Â*speed Â*and Â*keep my heart Â*rate
within these Â*ranges?
thx
tolga

Your muscles need to be supple first, get warm and drink plenty before
running. Even a little alcohol may help. Rub down with a dry towel
to start circulation improvements in your legs. Walk first. Break
into a run after your legs are swinging easily and you are making
quick progress with little effort. Do not force your running. Run
easy and technique and speed will follow without excessive HR rises.
The range you give is a rather narrow band anyway and I would not
recommend that you use this alll the time. Variation is key to
prevent stagnation.

There are elevations in HR when running over cycling for which
specifics will be better addressed at the appropriate (news)group.
Old July 30th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 29, 2:11Â*pm, hopehope_123 wrote:
Hi,

Ä° am Â*35 yeras old, Â*male. Â*71kg, 175cm. Â*I regularly run , Â*4 Â*times
in a week , each Â*run takes about Â*30-45 Â*min.
2 days ago Â*i have Â*purchased Â*a Â*sport watch Â*that measures Â*heart
rate. Â*According Â*to Â*the Â*calculations Â*, Â*my heart rate range Â*is
between Â*120 and 157 . But Â*what Â* i realized was Â*, Â*my usual running
tempo sometimes extends Â*the upper limit easily. Â*So in order to
keep Â*my Â*heart Â*rate Â*within these Â*range , Â*i have to run slowly!
What Â*can i do Â*to run Â*at my Â*usual Â*speed Â*and Â*keep my heart Â*rate
within these Â*ranges?
thx
tolga

1. Get a bike. It's better for your knees anyway.
2. Unstrap heart rate monitor from wrist. Set on ground.
3. While swinging your foot over the bike to start off,
step on the heart rate monitor, crushing it. You have
to do it this way because running over it with the bike
is not guaranteed to break it, as bikes have nice springy
tires (one reason they are easier on the knees, see step 1).
4. Ride bike.

Okay, so the reason you should do it this way, aside
from this is a bicycle racing newsgroup, is that heart
rate is a poor indicator of effort level, and it also varies
a lot from person to person. Just because
the instructions that came with the HRM say you
should exercise between bpm X and Y, doesn't mean
you have to. It could be that your natural range is
different from the stupid calculations.

If you want to use the HRM for something, you can
try running at your preferred tempo, find out what your
HR typically is at that tempo, and then use _that_
information to try to structure your workouts (HR
at tempo, above tempo, below tempo, and so on).
But in general, your perceived effort is a better gauge
than the dingus on your wrist. If you think the
workout is hard, it probably is, or you're hung over
or something.

If after all this you really want to continue geeking out
and demand numbers that mean something, do like a
true Masters Fattie would: buy a bike _and_ a power meter.

Ben

Old July 30th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
" wrote:

If after all this you really want to continue geeking out
and demand numbers that mean something, do like a
true Masters Fattie would: buy a bike _and_ a power meter.

And get a coach.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 30th 09, 09:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

hopehope_123 wrote:
Ä° am 35 yeras old, male. 71kg, 175cm. I regularly run , 4 times
in a week , each run takes about 30-45 min.
2 days ago i have purchased a sport watch that measures heart
rate. According to the calculations , my heart rate range is
between 120 and 157 . But what i realized was , my usual running
tempo sometimes extends the upper limit easily. So in order to
keep my heart rate within these range , i have to run slowly!
What can i do to run at my usual speed and keep my heart rate
within these ranges?

Measure your heart rate while jerking off and use that as a yardstick.
Old July 30th 09, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
drmofe

On Jul 30, 8:56 pm, Donald Munro wrote:
hopehope_123 wrote:
Ä° am 35 yeras old, male. 71kg, 175cm. I regularly run , 4 times
in a week , each run takes about 30-45 min.
2 days ago i have purchased a sport watch that measures heart
rate. According to the calculations , my heart rate range is
between 120 and 157 . But what i realized was , my usual running
tempo sometimes extends the upper limit easily. So in order to
keep my heart rate within these range , i have to run slowly!
What can i do to run at my usual speed and keep my heart rate
within these ranges?

Measure your heart rate while jerking off and use that as a yardstick.

And use a heart meter during sex with Beyonce for interval training.
Old July 30th 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

drmofe wrote:
And use a heart meter during sex with Beyonce for interval training.

Freds don't know how to use powermeters.

Could the Wii improve your bc skills tabler1010 Unicycling 5 December 7th 08 11:40 PM
improve cadence goodone Techniques 20 December 23rd 07 10:52 PM
Get a little uni to improve my skills? David Unicycling 6 October 20th 06 04:08 AM
How best to improve a cheap bike? Pyromancer UK 11 May 21st 04 02:56 PM
How to "improve" TDF coverage snow4ever Racing 2 July 28th 03 05:04 AM