50,034

Old March 16th 10, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Default 50,034

That's the mileage on my 1987 Schwinn Voyager frameset after last
Sunday's ride (more than any bike I've owned). Now grante, the original
components that went on that frameset came from an earlier machine that
itsel had about 38,000 miles on it, AND all of them have since been
replaced over the last twenty three years, so how much "The Bicycle" has
on it... ???

Just thought I'd mention that :-3)

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old March 16th 10, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 16, 10:17*am, (It's Chris) wrote:
That's the mileage on my 1987 Schwinn Voyager frameset after last
Sunday's ride (more than any bike I've owned). Now grante,the original
components that went on that frameset came from an earlier machine that
itsel had about 38,000 miles on it, AND all of them have since been
replaced over the last twenty three years, so how much "The Bicycle" has
on it... ???

Just thought I'd mention that :-3)

*- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Is the total just an estimate or do you use an odometer? How did you
come up with number?

Thanks,
Cullen
Appleton,WI
Old March 17th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Mar 16, 9:24*pm, (It's Chris) wrote:
50,034 *

Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Mar 16, 2010, 12:41pm (EDT-3) From:

wrote:
Is the total just an estimate or do you
use an odometer? How did you come up
with number?
Thanks,
Cullen
Appleton,WI *

The 50 034 is actual. I have had computers/odometers on all my bikes
ever since Huret came out with their belt driven "Multito", and have
kept a running record on my calendar. The 38,000 is an rough sum of what
i had on the previous bike.

I also keep a record of the miles on my mountain bike, and a running
total on my legs, which is the combined total of all my bikes since I
started riding to school back in 1972.

The first few years is a conservative estimate based on the number of
miles to school times the number of school days. I didn't count
recreational miles for that period because I had no odometer to record
these. I figure better the conserative judgement. I don't like claiming
credit for something I didn't do.

As of January 1st this year that estimate was at just over 170,000
miles.

*- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Good going!! How old are you? Any long trips in there??
Old March 17th 10, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike A Schwab

A good place to compare mileage is at http://www.bikejournal.com/
Old March 19th 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ron Wallenfang

On Mar 18, 10:19*am, (It's Chris) wrote:
Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Mar 16, 2010, 7:54pm (EDT-3) From:
(Ron*Wallenfang):

Good going!! How old are you? Any long
trips in there?? *

I an currently 52. And as far as long rides are concerned, yes, I have
done many. Longest single day rides were the many double centuries and
two triple centuries I used to ride when I lived in California.
Unfortunately here are no rides like that here. In the South East they
seem to think a single centure is the Holy Grail of endurance rides.
Serious riders here tend more towards the short and fast. I have yet to
find a club that rides at an average speed of less than 17 MPH.

My longest tour was the eight days from San Fransisco to El Lay I did in
the late seventies.

*- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Consider the National 24 Hour Challenge near Grand Rapids MI on
father's day weekend. That's (sort of) east, but admittedly not
south. It draws several hundred riders spread over age categories in
5-year brackets - separate brackets for men and women.
Old March 22nd 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

I think their is (or at least there was) a double century somewhere in
Virginia, but I have been unable to find the listing again. I doubt I
would be able to complete one anymore anyway. I find it extremely
difficult to ride distances over 80 miles on my own, no one else near me
seems to be the slightest bit interested in rides that long. so training
for extreme endurance rides is pretty much out of the question.

- -