MTB front wheel bearings.

Old November 18th 14, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Default MTB front wheel bearings.

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 11/18/2014 12:24 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message
On 11/17/2014 4:53 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Most fronts are 13mm flats.

As with everything, some are not. Notably, some current
low-end cones[1]
are famously somewhere between 13mm and 14mm. It's
annoying in front but
a real pain on the just bigger than 15mm but not 16mm rears.

[1] the ones with four flats. Yes, two chances to be off
spec and they
fail twice.

! That's exactly was what was on that Toys-R-Us bike I
fixed the other week! What the hell? Is China
instituting another measurement system??

They're copying Japanese steel - which is actually soft
cheese in disguise.

Maybe at one time; in the 1950s, pressed steel toys from Japan were indeed
formed from recycled crap.

Pretty much everything everywhere is made from recycled crap.

Metal was top of the list long before the recycling craze took hold.

Old November 18th 14, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/18/2014 3:23 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"AMuzi" wrote in message
[...]

There's a difference between Nucor's specialty steels and
the not-quite-steel remnants of ships at Goa with random
amounts of copper and whatnot mixed in.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 18th 14, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, November 17, 2014 2:12:04 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
Am I right to assume the front bearings also have 9 balls per race like the
back wheel - just smaller balls?

Great care was taken to poke the balls out of the hub onto an old T-shirt, I
ended up with 18 of them - losing an even number would be too much
coincidence!

Thanks.

leave space for minus one ball or one 13/16ths ball...leave a space doahn shove ONE MORE BALL in tight....no 1/8th ball spaces...leave a one plus 1/8th space.

or consult the manual
Old November 18th 14, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

one's that aren't.

http://goo.gl/DY0mBu

grinding one the these maybe positive. I have 2-3 not for grinding down but if tere's a solid improvement over Park's bendables......you may find a dealer at a rural flea market

also possess a box of late '70's Japanese Taiwanese axles and cones made from UFO steel. very impressive at grade 8-

overly done as early Volvo and Toyota

Old November 19th 14, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 18/11/2014 21:20, Ian Field wrote:

"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 11/18/2014 1:04 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
On 18/11/2014 18:24, Ian Field wrote:

They're copying Japanese steel - which is actually soft
cheese in disguise.

Those samurai swords were notoriously poorly made, weren't
they...

That was before the industrial revolution.

So you agree that premium quality steel in Japan has a long and
successful history.

With the exception of bolt and screw heads on Japanese motorcycles.

If you attempt servicing with anything less than an impact driver,
you'll just gouge out the screw head.

Would that be because after many years of reliable service, the bolt is
seized in? You'd be ok with a British motorbike - you'd have had to
dismantle the thing every few months to keep it going :-)
Old November 19th 14, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John D. Slocomb

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:18:02 +0000, Clive George
wrote:

On 18/11/2014 19:04, Ian Field wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
On 18/11/2014 18:24, Ian Field wrote:

They're copying Japanese steel - which is actually soft cheese in
disguise.

Those samurai swords were notoriously poorly made, weren't they...

That was before the industrial revolution.

And since then they seem to have no problem working steel either. Or
indeed other materials. Shimano dominate the bike component market, and
that's because by and large their kit works.

Your comment was dumb. There may have been a time when "Made in Japan"
was a similar indication of quality to "Harbour Freight" or "Poundland",
but that has long gone - they're world leaders, setting standards rather
than trying to catch up.

During the 1950's I was stationed in Japan and the overall consensus
was that "Japanese Made" was simply another variation of "Poorly
Made". Then, of course, the clever little creatures discovered
"foreign trade" and being clever sent depositions to all these foreign
countries to see what the "foreigners" wanted to buy.

But more interesting, there was a Japanese song, apparently from the
pre-war years that's title was "The Celluloid Doll from America" which
described a cheap plastic doll from America as being pretty but very
poorly made.

It seems that the cheap, foreign made goods was a two way trade :-)
--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb
Old November 19th 14, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
On Monday, November 17, 2014 2:12:04 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
Am I right to assume the front bearings also have 9 balls per race like
the
back wheel - just smaller balls?

Great care was taken to poke the balls out of the hub onto an old
T-shirt, I
ended up with 18 of them - losing an even number would be too much
coincidence!

Thanks.

leave space for minus one ball or one 13/16ths ball...leave a space doahn
shove ONE MORE BALL in tight....no 1/8th ball spaces...leave a one plus
1/8th space.

or consult the manual

Its an obscure supermarket special that I scrounged on Freecycle a few years
ago - I can't remember whether I ever managed to track down a manual.

Once I'd been advised the correct number of ball bearings, I opened the hub
on the old wheel I took out to pinch a couple of balls. It had cages, one of
which had pretty much disintegrated - pretty scary since I sometimes visit
the next town, which is down a very steep hill.

AFAICR; that's the same front wheel as when I got the bike. The rim may not
be as wobbly as I thought.

Old November 19th 14, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

keep it going :-(

Loctite saved the British Empire

Old November 19th 14, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/19/2014 1:31 PM, wrote:
keep it going :-(

Loctite saved the British Empire

precession starts at Calais

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Front bearings help Andy K[_2_] Techniques 61 September 29th 13 03:42 PM
Campagnolo front hub HB7-VL6 bearings? geos[_3_] Techniques 1 January 5th 10 12:50 AM
why differentsize bearings in front and rear hubs? geepeetee UK 4 August 29th 06 10:58 AM
1990 XT front hub bearings MSeries UK 2 April 22nd 06 10:28 PM
LX front hub - bearings NickD UK 3 October 15th 05 09:09 AM