BREAKING NEWS -- BROKEN CRANK

Old November 21st 14, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default BREAKING NEWS -- BROKEN CRANK

On Friday, November 21, 2014 4:31:09 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/21/2014 1:48 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

Steel? I would try CF. If Jay stays with aluminum he should replace them
every 5 years, he can't be lucky forever. It is remarkable that he broke so
many cranks. I never broke a single one.

I haven't broken a crank either.

I'm glad you and Lou admitted that. I was starting to feel really wimpy, for
not having broken any. Now I feel better.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 21st 14, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/21/2014 3:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, November 21, 2014 4:31:09 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/21/2014 1:48 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

Steel? I would try CF. If Jay stays with aluminum he should replace them
every 5 years, he can't be lucky forever. It is remarkable that he broke so
many cranks. I never broke a single one.

I haven't broken a crank either.

I'm glad you and Lou admitted that. I was starting to feel really wimpy, for
not having broken any. Now I feel better.

- Frank Krygowski

While every failure record set includes outliers, aluminum
crank breakage is more common with tall riders and frequent
long climbs.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 22nd 14, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 21, 2014 4:31:09 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/21/2014 1:48 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
sms wrote:
On 11/18/2014 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I just broke my probably 8th crank, but who's counting. I was out of
the saddle, sprinting full blast up a 100 yard 5% grade in light traffic
getting over to a left turn shelter/lane. In fact, I had taken the lane
way earlier than usual because I had such a good head of steam up.
Snapped the right arm which caused me to veer left toward on-coming
traffic. I thought I was going down and then recovered and wobbled to
the right curb -- waiting to get smacked by the car behind me. Tweaked
my back, but it's a wreck anyway.

This was a classic Jobst break right across the pedal eye. The first
one of those I've had in two decades. Ultegra 9sp 2-piece Hollowtech.
The crank had seen a lot of use over maybe 7 years. I'm not sure of its
age. I swapped it off another bike and put it on my Cannondale CX when I
got tired of buying ISIS BBs for the OEM TruVativ crank on that bike. It
was scuffed, but not around the pedal eye. My first broken 2-piece. I'm so proud!

The bummer is that I left my pedal on the dark pavement. I'm going to
look for it tomorrow on the way to work. It didn't stick to my foot as
usual. Luckily, I was only a half-mile or so from home and could ride home one-legged.

I snagged the Ultegra crank off my super swanky CAAD 9 rain bike so I
can ride to work tomorrow. I'll get a new compact for the rain bike. The
other bummer is that when I took the crank out of my CAAD 9, the right
BB30 bearing is already shot (I use press in bearings with the Wheels
Mfg Shimano adapters). I dread knocking that out because I used a tough
adhesive when I put it in.

You need to immediately move to steel Cinelli, or other brand, of
cottered crank with whatever compatible bottom bracket and spindle you can find.

Just do an eBay search for "steel cottered crank."

Buy this tool while you're at it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYCLO-VINTAGE-COTTERED-STEEL-CRANK-ARM-STRAIGHTENER-TOOL-CHATER-LEA-STRONGLIGHT-/281093714722.

Steel? I would try CF. If Jay stays with aluminum he should replace them
every 5 years, he can't be lucky forever. It is remarkable that he broke so
many cranks. I never broke a single one.

I haven't broken a crank either. At least one of my bikes is
highly unlikely to fail in that way:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/MAGISTR.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Early McCormick ?
Old November 22nd 14, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 21, 2014 5:04:45 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/21/2014 3:42 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, November 21, 2014 4:31:09 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/21/2014 1:48 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:

Steel? I would try CF. If Jay stays with aluminum he should replace them
every 5 years, he can't be lucky forever. It is remarkable that he broke so
many cranks. I never broke a single one.

I haven't broken a crank either.

I'm glad you and Lou admitted that. I was starting to feel really wimpy, for
not having broken any. Now I feel better.

- Frank Krygowski

While every failure record set includes outliers, aluminum
crank breakage is more common with tall riders and frequent
long climbs.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

well, cranks are cranks....designed for spinning, cranks led into thumping downward or let off and push down as with ill advised IC throotling..and then worn bearing surfaces a lot like the chain oblongs...JB has chain oblongs ?
Old November 22nd 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

sms wrote:
[...]

Magistroni, the premium Italian race crank until the 1960
Record. Forged steel, no crank pins- woo hoo. Cute, runs
well, no complaints.

Old November 22nd 14, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/ahb2qA

is there a concise photo history of the racing bicycle...assuming the racing type would rep all developments..maybe not ?

Old November 22nd 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 21, 2014 7:12:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:

http://goo.gl/ahb2qA

is there a concise photo history of the racing bicycle...assuming the racing type would rep all developments..maybe not ?

Google coughed up

http://goo.gl/qh8dtp
Old November 22nd 14, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John D. Slocomb

sms wrote:
[...]

Astibula crank and 3 speed rear hub....
--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb
Old December 17th 14, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:35:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
:
: I said I said 'why not use red Loctite' ?
:
: no answer.
:
: I asked a coupla times...no response...then someone wrote that Loctite was unholy...

:I recall Jobst claiming there was no valid use for Loctite on a bike. That
:baffled me.

Since a properly torqued fastener doesn't vibrate loose, there's a
strong argument to be made for that. There are a few places it, or
some other retention system, seems like a good idea: deraileur
adjusment screws, fender stay bolts, etc.

Of course, press in bearings are a different kettle of fish, but I
supose you could make a pretty good case that they don't belong on a
bike in the first place.

I've never broken a crank, but I broke a pedal axle, which caused a
painful crash into a ditch.

--
sig 18
Old December 17th 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

O :I recall Jobst claiming there was no valid use for Loctite on a bike. That
:baffled me.

I use blue for locking down 120lb truck lug nuts....seals out water, keeps contact surface lubed and rust free. The hubs are painted. The parts people roll eyeballs.

JB's rejection comes from a engineering bitch he has with rotating fretting...there's an engineering name for this..caused by flat mating surfaces on the uh uh right crank ? or izzit the left ?

JB claimed all mating surfaces there should be conical as a matter of engineering responsibility as the fretting broke cranks.

I had the same problem with too narrow pedals spans left to right and narrow bars reducing breathing. Tho clams can be made for Asian body sizes bringing in too small components. Briefly.

So whining abt red Loctite derailed his discourse which was I guess bad manners.

Breaking news... Jilly UK 0 June 27th 13 06:41 PM
Breaking News mike[_14_] Techniques 0 February 22nd 12 01:04 AM
Breaking news on ITV Tony Raven UK 3 January 8th 06 02:34 PM
Breaking News! B. Lafferty Racing 0 August 1st 05 01:01 PM
Breaking news... Colin Blackburn UK 0 November 15th 04 11:26 AM