Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

Old December 12th 19, 05:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 6:32:52 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

You argument that a large percent of bicycle deaths are "self
inflected" is a bit, well, fallacious, as these died as a result of
what one might very well term "stupidity" rather than deliberation.

Oh, I think most stupidity qualifies as "self inflicted."

It's motto is "Hold my beer and watch this!"

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 19, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 20:27:48 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 6:32:52 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

You argument that a large percent of bicycle deaths are "self
inflected" is a bit, well, fallacious, as these died as a result of
what one might very well term "stupidity" rather than deliberation.

Oh, I think most stupidity qualifies as "self inflicted."

It's motto is "Hold my beer and watch this!"

- Frank Krygowski

O.K. I'll agree with that :-)

But there are others... for example those who firmly believe that
riding on the wrong side of the road is safer.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 12th 19, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 6:32:52 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

You argument that a large percent of bicycle deaths are "self
inflected" is a bit, well, fallacious, as these died as a result of
what one might very well term "stupidity" rather than deliberation.

Oh, I think most stupidity qualifies as "self inflicted."

It's motto is "Hold my beer and watch this!"

- Frank Krygowski

O.K. I'll agree with that :-)

But there are others... for example those who firmly believe that
riding on the wrong side of the road is safer.
--
cheers,

John B.

And they sometimes do it on a main street in heavy traffic - bicycle as well as vehicle heavy traffic where the wrong direction riding bicyclist is a hazard to others not just themselves.

Cheers.

Cheers
Old December 12th 19, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

And they sometimes do it on a main street in heavy traffic - bicycle
as well as vehicle heavy traffic where the wrong direction riding
bicyclist is a hazard to others not just themselves.

The hazard is from motorists. Whether the thing that put you in front of a motor vehicle was another bicyclist, an animal, a child, a stray shopping cart, clogged storm drain, gust of wind, or whatever-- the hazard and fault always lies with the motorist. They brought it with them.
Old December 12th 19, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 13:32:46 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

And they sometimes do it on a main street in heavy traffic - bicycle
as well as vehicle heavy traffic where the wrong direction riding
bicyclist is a hazard to others not just themselves.

The hazard is from motorists. Whether the thing that put you in front of a motor vehicle was another bicyclist, an animal, a child, a stray shopping cart, clogged storm drain, gust of wind, or whatever-- the hazard and fault always lies with the motorist. They brought it with them.

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 12th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

But didn't your mother tell you when you were a little boy, to always
walk facing the traffic?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.
Old December 13th 19, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 16:10:50 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

That seems rather one sided.
After all most, if not all, states have laws about slow vehicles
saying essentially that they must not impede other vehicles.
Minnesota, for example, requires all vehicles which are operated at
speeds 30 mph or less to display a "triangular slow-moving vehicle
emblem". New York defines it as 25 mph, or slower; Indiana says 25
mph, or slower. I read that "According to Bicycling, the average
recreational road biker moves at 17 to 18 miles per hour over flat
terrain".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

It's a sensible law and saves many Amish lives in their
horse drawn vehicles no to mention farm equipment.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 13th 19, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 4:10:53 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose a burden in others, it's your sole responsibility to mitigate it, not theirs.

Too bad motorists are inherently unethical creatures.

Yikes, what if the motorist is driving an ambulance? Bloodmobile? Communist bookmobile bringing enlightenment to the subjugated masses? Are all motorists unethical? What about passengers in motor vehicles?https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/interactive/...s/media/01.jpg Is there special dispensation for people who are disabled?

And riding a bike is consumptive and unilaterally inflicts harm on others. I burn tons more calories than drivers, and I burn through tires and chains with fair regularity -- adding to the environmental damage and human degradation that goes along with all manufacturing activity. Do I lose ethics points? And are walkers more ethical? What if the walker has a herd of resource consuming dogs?

This seems complex and probably requires a phone app or some sort of Chinese social credit scoring.

-- Jay Beattie