Belgian men's teams announced

Old September 12th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

Default Belgian men's teams announced

Belgian men's teams announced
The men's Belgian team for Salzburg was also announced Monday,
consisting of Tom Boonen (QuickStep-Innergetic), Nick Nuyens
(QuickStep-Innergetic), Philippe Gilbert (Française des Jeux), Stijn
Devolder (Discovery Channel), Johan Vansummeren (Davitamon-Lotto),
Kevin Hulsmans (QuickStep-Innergetic), Leif Hoste (Discovery Channel),
Serge Baguet (QuickStep-Innergetic), Jurgen Van Goolen (Discovery
Channel). National coach Carlo Bomans has stated that defending
champion Tom Boonen will play a "trump card role" in this year's event
as the undulating course will be more suited to the likes of Nick
Nuyens and Philippe Gilbert.

The Belgian outfit will arrive in Salzburg on Thursday to familiarize
themselves with the course. From there they will have a better idea on
who will lead the team on Sunday's road race.

"I'm extremely happy with the Belgian team formation for the World
Championship, the team is a very strong and balanced," said the
reigning champ Tom Boonen. "Six of the selected are of the same
generation, we have known each other since we were children. The others
three, Baguet, Hoste and Hulsmans, are riders with a lot of experience.
We've got athletes suited to all types of race styles, a great mix.
This year's race route is more difficult than last year's, so it will
be important to have team mates around during the final kilometres in
order to take charge and control the situation if and when required.

"With regard to my team mates, Baguet, with his experience, could be
the 'eyes' of our coach Carlo Bomans in the race. Hulsmans is riding
the Vuelta extremely well and is improving daily. Nuyens is a rider
that we all know, he's a first class athlete and I'm sure he'll be in
the final."

I'm surprised they left off Steegmans.

Old September 13th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sonarrat

Andre wrote:

I'm surprised they left off Steegmans.

Wim Van Huffel, too.
Old September 13th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
Sonarrat wrote:

Andre wrote:

I'm surprised they left off Steegmans.

Wim Van Huffel, too.

Some riders will not be chosen for the team.

--
Michael Press
Old September 13th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sonarrat

Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
Sonarrat wrote:

Andre wrote:

I'm surprised they left off Steegmans.

Wim Van Huffel, too.

Some riders will not be chosen for the team.

That is even more painfully obvious than you make it seem, but van
Huffel still would have been a great choice for this kind of circuit. I
suppose reducing the team size from 15 to 9 means a lot of fine riders
have to sit it out. I wonder if we'll see more attempted "defections,"
along the lines of Trenti's US license or Rebellin's bid for Argentine
citizenship..
Old September 13th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kenny

Sonarrat schreef:

Andre wrote:

I'm surprised they left off Steegmans.

Wim Van Huffel, too.

Van Huffel and a 260km race with the characteristics of a classic
doesn't seem the ideal combination to me.

Kenny

Old September 14th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sonarrat

Kenny wrote:
Sonarrat schreef:

Andre wrote:

I'm surprised they left off Steegmans.

Wim Van Huffel, too.

Van Huffel and a 260km race with the characteristics of a classic
doesn't seem the ideal combination to me.

No? He finished 11th in the same Giro d'Italia in which di Luca took
4th. That was his first GT, but it wasn't an especially difficult one -
more of a classics rider's bag, for my tastes. He didn't fare as well
in this year's more difficult Giro, but he DID show well in the 1.1 GP
Wallonie today, which Philippe Gilbert (named as a Belgian team favorite
for World's) won.

Maybe not a sure thing, but he should at least be a high-placed alternate.
Old September 14th 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kenny

Sonarrat schreef:

Kenny wrote:
Sonarrat schreef:

Andre wrote:

I'm surprised they left off Steegmans.

Wim Van Huffel, too.

Van Huffel and a 260km race with the characteristics of a classic
doesn't seem the ideal combination to me.

No? He finished 11th in the same Giro d'Italia in which di Luca took
4th. That was his first GT, but it wasn't an especially difficult one -
more of a classics rider's bag, for my tastes. He didn't fare as well
in this year's more difficult Giro, but he DID show well in the 1.1 GP
Wallonie today, which Philippe Gilbert (named as a Belgian team favorite
for World's) won.

Maybe not a sure thing, but he should at least be a high-placed alternate.

I didn't see many classics riders on the Finestre that year.

Kevin Van Impe (domestique of Boonen) or Frederik Willems (next year
Liquigas) are a much more obvious choice in comparison to Van Huffel.
I don't think he has ever done a 260km race.

2 Espoirs ended in the top10 of the GP La Wallonie. That says it all
about the level of riders there. It was no more than race to boost the
confidence of Boonen-Nuyens-Gilbert, who were all in another league.

Commonwealth Games cycling schedule Simon Brooke UK 0 March 12th 06 11:14 AM
UCI backs Giro teams tispectrum Racing 0 May 19th 05 03:06 PM
BUC Hockey Tournament – Teams unicus Unicycling 6 April 17th 05 07:38 PM
The word is out: It's over. packfiller Racing 3 October 15th 04 06:22 PM
L.A. Confidential Excerpt 'Dis Guy Racing 3 October 10th 04 05:31 AM