Bike security

Old November 14th 06, 08:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
johnbond

Default Bike security

Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

Somehow someone manage to nick it! God knows how.

I saved for months for this bike and in the blink of 30 minutes leaving it,
it is gone. Completely miffed.

Question is what can I use to secure my bike ? (when I get another one,
after more savings)

Thanks

Old November 14th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

johnbond wrote:
Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

Somehow someone manage to nick it! God knows how.

I saved for months for this bike and in the blink of 30 minutes leaving it,
it is gone. Completely miffed.

Question is what can I use to secure my bike ? (when I get another one,
after more savings)

Thanks

Bring it in with you or get a complete piece of garbage that nobody
would want. No lock is 100% secure.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old November 14th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

johnbond wrote:
Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

Somehow someone manage to nick it! God knows how.

I saved for months for this bike and in the blink of 30 minutes leaving it,
it is gone. Completely miffed.

Question is what can I use to secure my bike ? (when I get another one,
after more savings)

Thanks

Bike locks only keep the honest people honest, and the good lock
systems can only slow down a determined thief. Best bet, and I'm not
being sarcastic, is to not leave your bike unattended, or just buy a
beater if you're needing an around-town bike to lock up while you go
for coffee, to class, or whatever. I got a really decent old 1spd
cruiser for $5 at a police auction.

Other tips of course, are to park it in heavily travelled areas so a
dood with a power hack saw or bolt cutters would stand out pretty
obvious. Release the brakes and qr's, dry shift the gears, and take
the seat post with you.. if he steals it, and goes to ride off,
hopefully a wheel or two will fall off, and the gears should be locked
up, and no brakes is a plus. Do whatever you reasonably can to
discourage, and/or slow down a thief. Best bet is to keep it home or
locked up inside a vehicle.

CDB

Old November 14th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej

On Nov 14, 12:15 pm, "johnbond" wrote:
Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

What kind of D-lock? Check this out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=krypt...en-US:official

I use a modern flat key D-lock for the frame and a thick short cable
for the rims. Also, I ride my cheap-ass beater bike when I'm going to
park it someplace questionable.

Also the forks on my bike can be removed with an 11mm allen wrench in
about 10 seconds. I'm not quite sure what to do about that.

-Beej

Old November 14th 06, 08:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej

On Nov 14, 12:50 pm, "Paladin" wrote:
if he steals it, and goes to ride off,
hopefully a wheel or two will fall off, and the gears should be locked
up, and no brakes is a plus.

Reminds me of how a local bike shop helped the cops with a bait bike.
It was stuck in low gear, so the cops could run the guy down on foot
while he tried to get away at 120 cranks a minute. :-)

-Beej

Old November 14th 06, 08:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej

Finally, you might want to check your local internet for-sale boards,
or flea markets. It might turn up.

It's good to put a permanent unique marker on your bike, too, so you'll
positively identify it.

-Beej

Old November 14th 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

johnbond wrote:
Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

Somehow someone manage to nick it! God knows how.

I saved for months for this bike and in the blink of 30 minutes leaving it,
it is gone. Completely miffed.

Question is what can I use to secure my bike ? (when I get another one,
after more savings)

Thanks

It's already been said, but I'll say it again. Leave your "good" bike
at home and ride a beater around town. I have a total cheapie lock for
my beater and nobody has luoked twice at it.

JD

Old November 14th 06, 11:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Glenn Dowdy

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...

johnbond wrote:
Just have a very expensive mountain bike stolen! I have secured it was a
d-lock and a wire in a plastic type cable which was wrapped around it.

Somehow someone manage to nick it! God knows how.

I saved for months for this bike and in the blink of 30 minutes leaving
it,
it is gone. Completely miffed.

Question is what can I use to secure my bike ? (when I get another one,
after more savings)

Thanks

It's already been said, but I'll say it again. Leave your "good" bike
at home and ride a beater around town. I have a total cheapie lock for
my beater and nobody has luoked twice at it.

I used two tactics for protecting my back when I rode it to university: I
always parked next to a nicer bike and I used two locks instead of just one.

Glenn D.

Old November 15th 06, 01:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
(PeteCresswell)

Per JD:
It's already been said, but I'll say it again. Leave your "good" bike
at home and ride a beater around town. I have a total cheapie lock for
my beater and nobody has luoked twice at it.

I'd been grooming my beater for months and months: duct tape, hand-brushed paint
job, mismatched brake levers, mismatched bald tires, saddle covered with an old
shop rag...

Then I pull into this gas station in South Jersey (USA) and the kid at the pump,
with eyes sticking out like golf balls, says "Wow! Coooool bike!"

Sheesh!
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 15th 06, 01:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per JD:
It's already been said, but I'll say it again. Leave your "good" bike
at home and ride a beater around town. I have a total cheapie lock for
my beater and nobody has luoked twice at it.

I'd been grooming my beater for months and months: duct tape, hand-brushed

paint
job, mismatched brake levers, mismatched bald tires, saddle covered with

an old
shop rag...

Then I pull into this gas station in South Jersey (USA) and the kid at the

pump,
with eyes sticking out like golf balls, says "Wow! Coooool bike!"

Well, if the tires hold air than it's a cadillac to those pineys.

Greg

FA/FS: Bike Security Australia 0 October 14th 06 03:43 AM
Bike rack security Daves General 11 July 8th 05 08:46 PM
Bike security whilst touring. VisionSet UK 15 April 6th 04 10:47 PM
Bike Security Tips Micheal Shoemaker Australia 10 March 13th 04 01:37 AM