RR: Losing her cherry (Klondike Bluffs)

Old November 26th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Raptor

Default RR: Losing her cherry (Klondike Bluffs)

I'm a modestly expert mountain biker, having ridden almost since there
were mountain bikes. Now I'm not going to plunge down a cliff and my
ballsyness diminishes with age, but if "lots" of others can ride
something, I can too. Despite this experience, and despite living just
200 miles north, I have only done a smattering of Moab's trails. I stick
to my favorites because they're so fun.

I took the new girlfriend down over the holiday and hoped to do some
riding of my own while breaking her in. She's one of my spinning
"students," not terribly strong but a consistent indoor rider,
determined to get in great shape. Also quite the trooper!

This was her first ride on an outdoor bike in decades.

I was looking at Sovereign, because I haven't yet done it myself and it
sounded pretty easy. But the dude at Slickrock Cycles said hmm, maybe
Klondike would be better. Okay, I'd never done that one either. The bike
he rented us was serviceable, but skipped despite her staying in the
middle ring per the shop's suggestion. The front brake also rubbed a
tiny bit.

After she almost blew her breakfast (McDonald's is good enough for an
old non-competitive hand like me, but she needed purer fare), I had her
move the chain to the granny range. She managed nicely, although once
you push against the puke threshold like she did your strength is
brittle. She got a great workout, I just enjoyed riding hard every now
and then, turning around several times to rejoin, encourage, advise,
buss, etc.

The trail is indeed a breeze, great for one's first mountain bike ride.
It has enough deep sandy sections at the bottom to give you a taste of
the "sand boat" technique: get on plane, stay on plane and you'll ride
through it. The climb is long by newbie standards but gradual, mostly on
slickrock. A couple mildly technical situations kept me interested. It's
the kind of climb that one can "spin" up, or hammer and feel like Lance
Armstrong. In the future, I'll use it as a warm-up or cool-down,
something to kill an hour or two with.

I suggest that 20 minutes is a theoretical best time to climb that
trail, but just in theory. It took us three hours out-and-back.

We reached the top, I rode up most of the short singletrack to the fence
on the border of Arches National Park, she pushed much of it. Because
I'm a nice guy, I agreed to walk into the park despite not having
comfortable shoes. It was worth it: nice view, pretty slot canyon.

Descending the singletrack, I was determined to ride the one real
technical (steep, narrow, off-camber) section. I plunged into it, parked
my front wheel on the only significant rock I could find, and endo'd.
Picked up a little trail rash from something on the rear of my bike as I
stumbled over the bars. I'm proud of myself for riding "hard" enough to
actually fall. I don't often do that.

She LOVED the downhill, following my line most of the way. She said it
was just like skiing, flowing with gravity. I reminded her to maintain
concentration since a broken collarbone is always one mind wander away.
She handled the bouncy suspension just fine, followed my advice to NEVER
lock the front wheel, and emerged from her first mountain bike ride - in
Moab! - tired & sweaty but unscathed, and psyched.

Next time, we do Top of the World.

--
Lynn Wallace

If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
speaking German now.

Old November 27th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Raptor wrote:
[...]

Cool. I've found beginners on Amasaback, and they *were not* having
fun... glad you found something she could ride and enjoy.

CDB

Old November 28th 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Raptor wrote:
I'm a modestly expert mountain biker

I'd like to put that notion to the test some day, spinnerboy.

I was looking at Sovereign, because I haven't yet done it myself and it
sounded pretty easy. But the dude at Slickrock Cycles said hmm, maybe
Klondike would be better.

Klondike is a better newb ride. I've taken quite a few tour clients
out there. I hope you paused to check out the dinosaur tracks.

Next time, we do Top of the World.

You had better make her a climber first, or you'll go away with an
ex-g/f.

I have been riding with my g/f a lot lately and she's quite an
exceptional climber already for her newness to the whole thing. We
even got her first "mountain" ride in last weekend.

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...=si&img=165 2

JD

Old November 28th 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
black

Exhaling Pleasure

In my infancy of becoming a mountain biker, I would go as far to say
that I will mature into a fine beauty (albeit looks) and ride with
modest experts, or so I hope. As I believe one has to learn how to walk
before she/he can run.

Sporting my ever so SWEET embellished hot pink helmet, riding shoes,
and cushy gloves I set out to accomplish a new experience, which I did.
Feeling as if I were a speck of sand compared to the premature Goliath
I was faced with, I am proud to admit that I impressed myself. Sure, I
felt like exchanging a greasy breakfast for an empty stomach. Yet, I
battled through it, never doubting my determination just as I have done
with many challenges I have encountered; mentally, emotionally and
physically.

Ever so grateful for having patience, understanding, and kindness on my
side, I learned that he is truly a gem. Previous experiences taught me
intimidation, as a beginner, by arrogant, pompous, self proclaimed
(quasi) experts. Needless to say, I often found myself retreating to
the scared little girl I once was, trying to do something that was
unfamiliar and foreign to me. Not defeated, rather inspired and ****ed
off, I pulled up my bootstraps and challenged myself, cause it IS all
about me.

Whether I walked or ran, I got there, and had someone by my side
encouraging me with selflessness, presence and unspoken word.

I have learned to embrace every challenge and envelop myself with the
pleasure of crossing the unseen finish line...whether obtained
seasoned, or as a babe in whatever I do. So, if you end up seeing a
girl walking, running, or simply a flash of pink out of the corner of
your eye engaging in battle with a mound, mountain, or monster, think
back.

Its not about the finish, its all about the journey of getting there!

Old November 28th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
black

Exhaling Pleasure

In my infancy of becoming a mountain biker, I would go as far to say
that I will mature into a fine beauty (albeit looks) and ride with
modest experts, or so I hope. As I believe one has to learn how to walk
before she/he can run.

Sporting my ever so SWEET embellished hot pink helmet, riding shoes,
and cushy gloves I set out to accomplish a new experience, which I did.
Feeling as if I were a speck of sand compared to the premature Goliath
I was faced with, I am proud to admit that I impressed myself. Sure, I
felt like exchanging a greasy breakfast for an empty stomach. I battled
through it, never doubting my determination just as I have done with
many life challenges I have encountered; mentally, emotionally and
physically.

Ever so grateful for having patience, understanding, and kindness on my
side, I learned that he is truly a gem. Previous experiences taught me
intimidation as a beginner, by arrogant, pompous, self proclaimed
(quasi) experts. Needless to say, I often found myself retreating to
the scared little girl I once was, trying to do something that was
unfamiliar and foreign to me. Not defeated, rather inspired, and ****ed
off, I pulled up my bootstraps and challenged myself, cause it WAS/IS
all about me.

I have accustomed myself to embrace every challenge and envelop myself
with the pleasure of crossing the unforeseeable finish line...whether
obtained seasoned, or as a babe in whatever I do, while learning the
substance of me. So, if you end up seeing a girl walking, running, or
simply a flash of pink out of the corner of your eye engaging in battle
with a mound, mountain, or monster, think back.

Whether I walked or ran, I got there, and had someone by my side
encouraging me with presence and unspoken word.

Ohhh! How succulent that Cherry was......

Old November 28th 06, 06:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Raptor

JD wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I'm a modestly expert mountain biker

I'd like to put that notion to the test some day, spinnerboy.

So would I. Hey, I did say "modest." It takes me more than two hours to
do Slickrock, after all.

I was looking at Sovereign, because I haven't yet done it myself and it
sounded pretty easy. But the dude at Slickrock Cycles said hmm, maybe
Klondike would be better.

Klondike is a better newb ride. I've taken quite a few tour clients
out there. I hope you paused to check out the dinosaur tracks.

Yes, it was perfect, but we didn't know about the dinosaur tracks. Next
time, if there is one.

Next time, we do Top of the World.

You had better make her a climber first, or you'll go away with an
ex-g/f.

I have been riding with my g/f a lot lately and she's quite an
exceptional climber already for her newness to the whole thing. We
even got her first "mountain" ride in last weekend.

http://www.spokejunkies.com/forum/in...=si&img=165 2

Cool. Mine will be a climber someday. Gotta get the power:weight ratio
fixed on both sides first, but she's got the balls for it.

Old November 29th 06, 05:29 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
black

Default Exhaling Pleasure

In my infancy of becoming a mountain biker, I would go as far to say
that I will mature into a fine beauty (albeit looks) and ride with
modest experts, or so I hope. As I believe one has to learn how to walk
before she/he can run.

Sporting my ever so SWEET embellished hot pink helmet, riding shoes,
and cushy gloves I set out to accomplish a new experience, which I did.
Feeling as if I were a speck of sand compared to the premature Goliath
I was faced with, I am proud to admit that I impressed myself. Sure, I
felt like exchanging a greasy breakfast for an empty stomach, or a
delictable bowl of fruit and oatmeal. Yet, I battled through it, never
doubting my determination just as I have done with many challenges I
have encountered; mentally, emotionally and physically.

Ever so grateful for having patience, understanding, and kindness on my
side, I learned that he is truly a gem. Previous experiences taught me
intimidation--as a beginner--by arrogant, pompous, self proclaimed
(quasi) experts. Needless to say, I often found myself retreating to
the scared little girl I once was, trying to do something that was
unfamiliar and foreign to me. Not defeated, rather inspired and ****ed
off, I pulled up my bootstraps and challenged myself, cause it WAS/IS
all about me.

Whether I walked or rode, I got there, and had someone by my side
encouraging me with selflessness, presence and unspoken word.

I have learned to embrace every challenge and envelop myself with the
pleasure of crossing the unseen finish lines...whether obtained
seasoned, or as a babe in whatever I do. So, if you end up seeing a
girl walking, riding, or simply a flash of pink out of the corner of
your eye engaging in battle with a mound, mountain, or monster, think
back.

Its not about the finish, its all about the journey of getting there!

Ohhh! And, how succulent that Cherry was!

Old November 29th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On 28 Nov 2006 20:29:01 -0800, "black"
wrote:

[...]

And your selfish pleasures are all that matters, right? You are sick.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old November 29th 06, 06:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

black wrote:
Ohhh! And, how succulent that Cherry was!

Nice story, free association, daydream, inspirational rant, whatever...

CDB

Dick Pound vs. Don Cherry Ryan Cousineau Racing 8 March 19th 06 10:42 PM
Boonen Losing It Joe King Racing 4 February 28th 06 08:47 PM
pop goes the post cherry monsterman Australia 22 October 30th 05 06:32 AM
Cherry Pie Criterium S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\ Recumbent Biking 2 January 7th 05 01:36 AM
SS cherry pop Duncan Mountain Biking 5 September 10th 04 04:45 PM