The sad sport....

Old January 8th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Callistus Valerius

Default The sad sport....

While participating in an organized ride, we saw one of the riders in
the front mowed down by a car. The rider was medivaced out with a
helicopter. One rider said he had no chance of making it, another said he
had a good chance of surviving. Will find out tomorrow. We continued on,
all thinking to ourselves, when will our number come up. No laughter, or
show boating, only resignation, that we have all chosen to participate in
the sad sport.

Old January 8th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 03:09:07 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
wrote:

While participating in an organized ride, we saw one of the riders in
the front mowed down by a car. The rider was medivaced out with a
helicopter. One rider said he had no chance of making it, another said he
had a good chance of surviving. Will find out tomorrow. We continued on,
all thinking to ourselves, when will our number come up. No laughter, or
show boating, only resignation, that we have all chosen to participate in
the sad sport.

In the US something less than 700 people a year are killed on bikes. Over 40,000
eat it while in a car.

Yah know, that ain't bad odds.

Ron

Old January 8th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

wrote:

While participating in an organized ride, we saw one of the riders in
the front mowed down by a car. The rider was medivaced out with a
helicopter. One rider said he had no chance of making it, another said he
had a good chance of surviving. Will find out tomorrow. We continued on,
all thinking to ourselves, when will our number come up. No laughter, or
show boating, only resignation, that we have all chosen to participate in
the sad sport.

In the US something less than 700 people a year are killed on bikes. Over 40,000
eat it while in a car.

Yah know, that ain't bad odds.

Ron

40,000 / 700 = 57

I'd be willing to bet the average American easily spends 57 times as
many hours in a car as he does on a bike.

Cycling is dangerous. Why not admit it?

-rj

Old January 8th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

[...]

Life is dangerous. But the alternative, not experiencing life, is even
worse.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"ronaldo_jeremiah" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 8th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
gds

wrote:

[...]

Because it isn't. Neither is riding in a car.

Old January 8th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

wrote:

While participating in an organized ride, we saw one of the riders in
the front mowed down by a car. The rider was medivaced out with a
helicopter. One rider said he had no chance of making it, another said he
had a good chance of surviving. Will find out tomorrow. We continued on,
all thinking to ourselves, when will our number come up. No laughter, or
show boating, only resignation, that we have all chosen to participate in
the sad sport.

In the US something less than 700 people a year are killed on bikes. Over 40,000
eat it while in a car.

Yah know, that ain't bad odds.

Ron

40,000 / 700 = 57

I'd be willing to bet the average American easily spends 57 times as
many hours in a car as he does on a bike.

Cycling is dangerous. Why not admit it?

Because it isn't.

Cycling in traffic can be dangerous, but so can walking or driving in traffic.

Ron
Old January 8th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:
Cycling is dangerous. Why not admit it?

Because then they'll make you wear a helllllmet?!?!?! --D-y

Old January 8th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark & Steven Bornfeld

wrote:

[...]

This is a statistical concept that probably varies very much by
location. I've driven many more miles in my life than I've ridden, but
although I've been in a couple of auto accidents at significant speed,
I've never been seriously injured. I've been in a couple of cycling
accidents, and given the relative speeds I've been injured far worse.
I'm sure if you did an analysis of accidents, injuries or deaths per
mile cycled or driven, the analysis would be far different in most of
Europe than it would be in the U.S.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old January 9th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
yeahyeah

Mark & Steven Bornfeld wrote:

This is a statistical concept that probably varies very much by
location. I've driven many more miles in my life than I've ridden, but
although I've been in a couple of auto accidents at significant speed,
I've never been seriously injured. I've been in a couple of cycling
accidents, and given the relative speeds I've been injured far worse.

It's not the speed that hurts, it's the stopping... I've come to a
sudden stop at 45mph or so into the rear end of a car while driving,
and suffered only a rather large insurance bill. However, coming to a
stop at a mere 2mph off my bike resulted in surgery, a rather nasty
titanium plate in my wrist, and another very large insurance bill.
However, I've successfully hit speeds of nearly 55mph on my bicycle
without injury.

EZ Sport? MS Recumbent Biking 14 September 3rd 04 12:21 AM
But Is It A Sport? B. Lafferty Racing 9 August 17th 04 06:28 PM